Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Why are there not any modern 5-star generals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are there not any modern 5-star generals?

Why are there not any modern 5-star generals? I'm curious. Is it that congress does not want to give someone the potential political clout that would come from it?
    As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
    Mario Batali, 2006

Originally posted by dhuffjr
    Why are there not any modern 5-star generals? I'm curious. Is it that congress does not want to give someone the potential political clout that would come from it?
    There are none that are needed. I think the realm of a 5-star General is no longer necessary. Unless we have to team up with another country and they have Field Marshals......

Kevin Kenneally
    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

After Gulf War I, there was some talk of promoting Generals Powell and Schwarzkopf to the Five Star rank.

This site provides some history on the rank of "General of the Army".

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/FAQ-5star.htm
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Thought it was a "war-time only" type of thing.
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
          Me, too. There really hasn't been any need for them after the full development of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
          Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
          Click Here for More Info

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
            That may be part of it, but I think it may be tied to the size of today's armies. Nowhere near the amount of manpower is used today when compared to the size of the armies in WW II.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Actually, there are some 5-star generals today. Included are Don Maddox, Dr. Sinister....
              Nominated "Wing Nut" by Forum Staff member.

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr
                At least in the US, the five-star rank is authorized only in wartime. Despite our current operations in Iraq which are, as many can attest, quite real, this is not considered the sort of general war that would require a five star officer.
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Originally posted by hogdriver
                  At least in the US, the five-star rank is authorized only in wartime. Despite our current operations in Iraq which are, as many can attest, quite real, this is not considered the sort of general war that would require a five star officer.
                  So it sounds like Congress has to declare war first....
                  Nominated "Wing Nut" by Forum Staff member.

Comment

Originally posted by Secret Agent
                    So it sounds like Congress has to declare war first....
                    That pretty much sums it up. If memory serves, Omar Bradley was our last 5-star until his retirement (sometime in the 1960's, I believe).
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

hogdriver,

Five star generals do not retire and are kept on full pay. Since Omar lasted into the 80s, he was in pretty bad shape before he died. Before World War 1, we only had generals up to 2 star rank (exception gens. Washington and Grant). Anything over was "brevet" where you wear the rank and bear the responsibilty, but don't get the permanent rank and pay. The surfeit of stars we have is due to the Pentagon Bureauracy. I think they had to create 4 star rank before they could design a 5 star rank. Lieutenant General was good enough for Grant.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I think also there would be reluctance to have a 5 star general because of the situation where MacArthur was a five star officer in the Far East in 1950 and 1951 and the service chiefs were 4 stars.

Comment

Holy necropost!!

I remember some of those members.
                          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Act of war and Congress

What I recall, and it's hard to verify because links are not opening for me on Government websites - but they want to run your health care - it takes both Congress to declare 'War' and then Congress has to authorize a person to get that 5th Star. Here's our last line up of 5 Stars:

The Army's Five-Star Generals:

General George C. Marshall

General Douglas MacArthur

General Dwight D. Eisenhower

General Omar N. Bradley

The Navy's Five-Star Fleet Admirals:

Admiral William D. Leahy

Admiral Ernest J. King

Admiral Chester Nimitz

Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey

The Air Force Five-Star General:

General Henry "Hap" Arnold

Everyone else since has just been given 'grand titles' i.e. Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff, Commander - Coalition Forces, instead of a 5th Star. Congress then just gives themselves a raise and takes a paid vacation.
                            "Never push the red button" Daffy Duck

Comment

5 star ranking was reserved for theater commanders who could at any time because that rank call the president by his first name and make theater command decitions in the president's name advising him after the fact so basicly the 5 star ranking gives executive command power in the field equal to the pres war time initiative only.
                              "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
                              "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
                              m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
                              leo2a6m 'the stan'
                              leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
                              leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
                              leo2a4 can.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...