No announcement yet.

History/Political Science as a major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archaeology is taught in the antrhopology departments of most U.S. universities. However, historical archaeology has some cross-over into History, as historical archaeologists deal a lot with historical documents. There's been some debate between historical archaeologists wether the field is more history or anthropology. As a Public History major in college, one required field of study was historical archaeology, and I focused much of my studies in historical archaeology. I almost spent more time in the Anthropology dept. than the History dept.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
      I was recently accepted into a few colleges, and one of the majors I was looking at for one of them was their degree in History/Political Science. I was wondering if majoring in something like that is a good thing in today's job market. Now I'd rather not have answers like "if you love it, do it", I'd like to see some more concrete thoughts then that. Thanks.
      History/PolSci would be beneficial mainly if you plan to be a teacher/professor, archivist, researcher or (in the case of PolSci) public service. If you have an idea what you want to do, talk to an advisor either at your school, or at one of the universities. They should be able to steer you toward an appropriate major.
      Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
      (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

I have a degree in History and a minor in Poly Sci from 1986 and it was meaningless back then as far as finding any work specific to that degree -- I have since added an equally useless BS in IT... OK so it means I know a little how to use Dreamweaver - not worth the student loan to be sure.

Comment

Lt. Dan,

Sorry to get into this thread so late, but I graduated with a BS in Poli. Sci. with a minor in history. The bottom-line is that you can make of it what you want. A couple of comments for you:

1. Find good internships/volunteer activities throughout the year. This is where I made my contacts to get my first job; it gave me an opportunity to see what you like; and ultimately my internships got me my first job.
          2. Don't think you're first job out of college is where you're going to spend the rest of your life (unless you really want to). By the time I was 27, I had gone through 5 or 6 jobs...and now I'm 32 and have added 2 more jobs to my resume. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for a career, but now have experience in all levels of government (state, local and federal), political campaign experience, private sector experience, policy experience, and experience working for a non-profit. I've used each position to build my skills for the next position. Of course, now I have a wife and two kids, so the factors going into my decisions are much different. Having said that, I've moved to a place where I know there are plenty of different jobs in fields I like.
          3. Enjoy whatever you're doing. You get better grades and learn a lot more that way. Both are good for job searches and applying for graduate school.
          4. I never went after an advanced degree, so it's not necessary to build a good career. Though an advanced degree can certainly open many doors and I've considered getting one several times.
          5. I'm not sure what level of interest you have in politics, but it's a field where you can get a lot of great experience at a very young age (for example, I was doing tv and radio advertising, managing decent sized budgets, staff, and volunteers, all at a very young age as a campaign manager). You don't make a lot of money early on, but if you work hard on campaigns or in a legislative office, you can translate that into some good money down the road. Again, this is where internships and volunteer work really come in handy.

Anyway, that's enough yapping. If you have any questions about working in politics, feel free to send me a message. I'd be happy to share my experiences and career path with you.

Take care and good luck,
          Brian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X