X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by D-ploy
    Wow, Gerry, many thanks. A printout of your response will accompany me. Thanks also to the others who have answered so far, I looked the sites up on the web and will try to include all of them. (And it looks like I have to stay a bit longer than planned )

Keep 'em coming, guys, I am really looking forward to this tour.

Oliver
    Don't forget to post your pictures........

Leave a comment:

• D-ploy
    replied
    Wow, Gerry, many thanks. A printout of your response will accompany me. Thanks also to the others who have answered so far, I looked the sites up on the web and will try to include all of them. (And it looks like I have to stay a bit longer than planned )

Keep 'em coming, guys, I am really looking forward to this tour.

Oliver

Leave a comment:

• The Purist
    replied
    As a fellow tourist I must recommend you do a slow walk down Whitehall. Go early, there are a million things to see.

Start at Charring Cross Station, head over to Trafalgar Square, turn left and head down the road to Parliament and Westminster.

All the greats are there,...

Slim,...

Brooke,...

Monty (The Great One),...

Whitehall is lined with statues of many of the greats and you can almost taste the "Empire". Good pubs, too, 'One Pot Pies', Stout, Bitters, Ale.

Cross the Westminster Bridge and wonder your way up a few blocks to the IWM. The command tank of "The Great One" is there, an M3 Genneral Grant. The pavillion on WWI and II are excellent and don't forget to visit the 'shrine' to "The Great One",...I was almost in tears.

My only disappointment was that, no matter how many women I approached, none could tell me where Elisa Doolitle was. I seached from Covent Garden all the way to Tuppenham Court Road (Soho), alas, no flower girls.

People looked at me like I was quite daft. All very strange.

You will need more than a day in London.

If you can,...do Dover Castle,...I mean do the whole thing. See all the audio visual, walk the ramparts, the keep, the tunnels. It took 7 hours but I crawled into every nook and cranny and even places I wasn't supposed to go.

The Roman fort outside Sandwich, Deal Castle, Canterbury, Stonehenge (do the field walk, takes about 4 hours for the northern route, 4 more for the southern, very erie), Old Sarum, Salisbury, Bath Abbey and Baddon Hill. The list goes on and on and this only the far south.

It's no wonder I never got out of the south of England,...there is just so much to see.

Get yourself a "Foreign Visitor Pass" for all the "English Heritage" sites. 15 Pounds and you get into all the great sites for free,...make your money back in no time at all.
    Last edited by The Purist; 18 Jan 05, 19:07.

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Sinister
    replied
    Bovington Tank Museum and/or Portsmouth Historic Dockyard if you want to go a bit further afield.

Dr. S.

Leave a comment:

• thomas.tmcc
    replied
    Originally posted by D-ploy
    Hi,

this year I am planning to visit London a few days. I would appreciate pointers to warfare-related sights from the knowledgeable members of this forum. After some short research the Imperial War Museum (what a name ) and Bletchley Park are already on my list. As you can see from this, I am willing to travel to the countryside about 150 km if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help. If this trip will be as good as Normandy last year, I try to post an AAR.

Oliver
    Hendon raf museum and duxford .

Leave a comment:

• D-ploy
    started a topic Visiting London

Visiting London

Hi,

this year I am planning to visit London a few days. I would appreciate pointers to warfare-related sights from the knowledgeable members of this forum. After some short research the Imperial War Museum (what a name ) and Bletchley Park are already on my list. As you can see from this, I am willing to travel to the countryside about 150 km if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help. If this trip will be as good as Normandy last year, I try to post an AAR.

Oliver

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X