Military History on television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military History on television

I pitched an idea to the staff a few days ago about creating a new section here that would cover all aspects of military history on TV. What with the new cable TV channels, the preponderence of movies to watch, all the current military conflicts spanning the globe, I thought it would be grand if we gave it all a special place here.

Now, two ways to do this:

1) Ask for a couple of volunteer moderators who would promote and guide this section. Search & scan the airwaves and keep us all informed about what shows and when, offer up reviews and insider details, generally keep the section fresh.

2) Leave the section 'open' and count on our readers the world over to let us all know about how military history is being portrayed on their local TV's.

How 'bout it, Gents?
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

I think that it's a great idea. I would opt for version #2. I would like to hear about programming, even if its not available for broadcast where I live since so much eventually becomes available on DVD............

Some of us have been doing this already on a sporadic basis, but it would be nice to have a central place to make postings....
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Given I'm watching either the History channel or Military channel at least once a week, I'm game for option 2. I think the structured part would wear down after a month given the re-run propensity (especially on the MC).
      If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

True, Chris. I was looking in depth at the shows, and did notice a lot of reruns of military shows on all channels. But, I also noticed there are a lot of channels showing military programming.

History Channel
        Military Channel
        A&E
        Biography
        History International
        National Geographic

Not to mention the movies and news specials here & there.
        Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I go for option 2 . Recently I have especially enjoyed
          BATTLEFRONT on the Military Channel .
          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
            True, Chris. I was looking in depth at the shows, and did notice a lot of reruns of military shows on all channels. But, I also noticed there are a lot of channels showing military programming.

History Channel
            Military Channel
            A&E
            Biography
            History International
            National Geographic

Not to mention the movies and news specials here & there.
            Even PBS has a good show every now and then (ie, "Redcoats & Rebels" a few months ago)...........They have a history of the French & Indian War works.
            Lance W.

Comment

My cable company just gave me free digital cable so now I get the Military Channel too..............
              Lance W.

Comment

I haven't seen that much stuff on WWII on the military channel!

Thanks

Eagle is back
                Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Eagle, that's not gonna be their format. They will stick to the modern era military. The History Channel has WWII covered very well.
                  Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
                    Eagle, that's not gonna be their format. They will stick to the modern era military. The History Channel has WWII covered very well.
                    Like the TV idea. My system doesn't have Military Channel at the moment, but hoping they will add it soon.
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks
                      Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Man I need to get some of those new military channels... those would be awesome...

/me goes back to his normal cable TV...
                        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Hi I would say option 2 as well since am in the UK and have cable .
                          owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
                          (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X