No announcement yet.

Brand New (Jan 05) Stryker Engineer FM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New (Jan 05) Stryker Engineer FM!

FM 3-34.221 - Get it HERE!

Geez after all that working throught the manuals and they go in put out new ones........wonder what they changed.

Do you have a link for a PDF version?
    As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
    Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Sorry, no I don't - that's straight out of the public area of the Reimer Digial Library.

Comment

Ask first look later .

I found it. I liked the look of the old library better. Searching seems harder now and I don't remember so many restricted items. Maybe this one is more inclussive, thus the greater amount of restricted material.

Thanks for the heads up.
        As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
        Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

I find it unfortunate that they didn't carry forward the heavy brigade engineer organization. Back in the '90s, the divisional engineer battalion for heavy divisions was reorganized into a brigade, giving each task force on average an engineer company. The differences were mostly organizational; the battalions and companies got much smaller than before. But there were more senior leaders available.

This might just seem like promotion slot padding, but it really made a difference. Under the prior organization (and under this new Stryker organization) a single engineer platoon is typically assigned to a task force. This means you have a second lieutenant platoon leader who is also required to be the task force engineer. Not only is he by far the most junior member of the entire battalion staff, thus ensuring a large proportion of coffee-fetching and scut work, but he also has no deputy or staff NCO at his disposal.

Even worse, while he's busy at the TOC fleshing out the engineer estimate and OPORD annexes, by definition he is *not* leading his platoon. Particularly in the defense, most engineer work is done *before* the battle. If they wait for the OPORD, it will be too late to get anything done. Work has to start immediately upon receipt of warning order. But the PL is nearly always occupied at the TOC helping to produce the OPORD during that crucial time. I've been that guy, frantically punching calculator buttons and scribbling on overlays on the floor of the TOC, all while having not a clue as to what my platoon is actually working on.

It falls to the PSG to take up the slack. But now who is managing the logistics for the platoon? And engineer platoons have much higher logistic needs than most, especially in the rather unusual Class IV supply and one-of-a-kind Class IX parts. In the end, the squad leaders are pretty much on their own in the field, forced to do the job of the PL in addition to their own. They need to be very self-contained and autonomous, with very high initiative. But even so, coordination is often a problem for them, especially when O-3 maneuver company commanders start coming around and ordering the engineer E-6/E-5 squad leaders to drop what they're doing and instead do this and that for their company. All too often even squads are scattered about the battlefield, and you end up with only sporadically supervised E-3 ACE operators fresh out of basic, completely alone in their vehicle, making on-the-spot decisions about where to place obstacles and battle positions. Or, more often, stopping work to wait for guidance when they reach a fork.

Bottom line, this rather spare organization places very high, often unattainable demands on the engineer platoon leadership. They simply can't be in two places at once.

By comparison, giving an engineer company to the task force, even if there's not many more actual engineer assets, can offer a major improvement in effectiveness. The company commander is now the task force engineer. He will be among peers in the battalion staff. He has a deputy, the XO, to remain at staff and coordinate when he can't be there. He has a senior NCO, the ISG to manage logistics and personnel issues full-time. The PLs can stay with their platoons, manage the big picture tasks, and keep their CO apprised of the situation, while the platoon NCOs supervise the actual work without constant distraction. The organization has a bit of redundancy when (not if) leadership casualties occur or, God forbid, they try to get a couple hours of sleep on occasion.

I notice there is an appendix to the FM talking about "engineer augmentation", which essentially bumps the organization to what I'm talking about by the addition of outside assets. Dollars to donuts that is exactly what will happen every time a Stryker brigade hits the ground on a real deployment. I guess shortchanging the "organic" force lets them pretend they're saving money, even though its totally inadequate for real-world operations.

--- Kevin
          Last edited by kbluck; 12 Jan 05, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by kbluck
            I notice there is an appendix to the FM talking about "engineer augmentation", which essentially bumps the organization to what I'm talking about by the addition of outside assets. Dollars to donuts that is exactly what will happen every time a Stryker brigade hits the ground on a real deployment. I guess shortchanging the "organic" force lets them pretend they're saving money, even though its totally inadequate for real-world operations.

--- Kevin
            Same for the logistics elements. It is assumed that there would be augmentation there as well. The current organic support is a bit light. One large roadside bomb or an ambush could take out almost half of the organic fuelers as an example. Not much sustainability/attrition there.
            Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr
              Geez after all that working throught the manuals and they go in put out new ones........wonder what they changed.

Do you have a link for a PDF version?

Hi there is a pdf list of the stryker units and how they are made up ,i have it on my TOandEs group on yahoo .

thomas
              owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
              (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X