Military History research projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military History research projects

Use this thread to let us know what projects you are researching. How far you are and what are your goals.

In my case I am working on the Murder of Station Sgt Thomas Green, a British police officer, killed during a riot with Canadian troops in Epsom, Surrey, UK in 1919. I have attended the Canadian National Archives and obtained photocopies of the court of inquiry into the riot, as well as 4 personal records of rioters. I have also ordered and obtained photocopies of the Metropolitan Police reports and files for that event. My ultimate goal is to write a book on this sad and dark episode of Canadian military history.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Currently I am working on a long article (many ten pages) on the fights from 20th December 1944 to 31st of December 1944 (plan to extend to 16 February 1945) in the North-East Dunántúl (part of Hungary) and Budapest.
    a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
      My ultimate goal is to write a book on this sad and dark episode of Canadian military history.
      Why? I mean that as a serious question and not as a provocation.
      Best regards, Major H
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MajorH
        Why? I mean that as a serious question and not as a provocation.
        There is hardly any information about this on the net and none or almost none in Canada. These riots occurred quite too often during WW1 and after as the Canadian Govt was procrastinating in returning our Boys home.
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
          There is hardly any information about this on the net and none or almost none in Canada. These riots occurred quite too often during WW1 and after as the Canadian Govt was procrastinating in returning our Boys home.
          There is hardly any info on the Canadians during WW1 and WW2.
          In honour I gained them, and in honour I will die with them.

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN

Comment

Maybe I'm not doing a straight historical research but I'm looking into a short hypothetical situation in the N-Atlantic during 1940-41.

I'm trying to guess the political and strategic changes that would have followed if Hitler would have grabbed Iceland during the invasion into Norway and Denmark. The research is limited to only 10 pages but the options that could have been are quite many.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio_nelson
              Have you tried the DND site? there's just about everything on every aspect.
              www.tdg.nu

Comment

I'm looking into the origins and various applications of the ubiquitous P-38 Can Opener.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio_nelson

Here are a couple for you.
                  The second one even provides old radio reports from the CBC, some direct from the front in WW II.

http://wps.cfc.dnd.ca/cfvl/index_en.html
                  http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/html/default-en.asp?f=36&t=0
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I'm researching the military career of my great-great-grandfather who joined the U.S. military as an Englishman in 1896 and was honorably discharged in 1899. He then went back to England for awhile, then emigrated to the U.S. in 1911 and became a citizen in 1918. I have a photcopy of an old photograph of him in dress uniform. He's holding a Krag-Jorgensen rifle, wearing the spiked dress helmet common in the 1890s, but his uniform does not appear to be the infantry or cavalry dress uniform. Right now I suspect that it might be a U.S. Marine uniform he's wearing. I know he was active in a Spanish American war veterans group, and had a military funeral with other veterans attending. I've ordered his military service record from NARA and am hoping that they might be able to tell me which unit he was in and where he was during the Spanish American War.
                    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

I just finished an annotative bibliography on Hollywood Stars in WWII I can always expand it into a paper if I have the drive too... I would like to do something on the Finns in the WWII...
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Just for my own amusment I am putting together an article called:

A (SHORT) MILITARY HISTORY OF IRELAND

Reached the point of the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 AD.

I intend to Post it in the Medieval Wars section as a brief introduction to the subject.

I have written a full book (200 Pages or so)on my Grandfather's military and police career but it is as yet unpublished. Might happen one day though!
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                          I have written a full book (200 Pages or so)on my Grandfather's military and police career ...
                          He must have slain a few worthy opponents

Comment

I'm sure he did!

But being raised in the Old School one didn't raise such experiences in polite Society.

Nowadays you would write up a book yourself or with a ghost writer and see it rise through the paperback charts!
                            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

I'm doing a study on the First Crusade and the ramifications on today's Christian-Muslem relations.
                              Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
                              Click Here for More Info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X