Hypothetical: World's policeman retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical: World's policeman retires

We often see reference to the USA being the world's policeman and fotting the bill for that pleasure.

If the US ever did return a strongly isolationist government what would the real consequences be?
    What would Occam say?

The lot of you Limeys would have to step up your game. Cause we know that the French sure aren't going to do it......
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
      If the US ever did return a strongly isolationist government what would the real consequences be?
      A lot of people would lose their favorite hobby. Those in the US (the whole segment of society that lives from playing geopolitics) and those outside (the whole segment of society that lives from comenting on it).

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        The lot of you Limeys would have to step up your game. Cause we know that the French sure aren't going to do it......
        and seal up the Chunnel.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It's a very interesting question. Who would step in and take the place of the US? Which country would be so stupid to do so? Would the world be safer with less conflicts or would we have more conflicts breaking out? Damn if I know or even guess.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I don't think anything would change that much in terms of the number of wars.. With the exception of the Arab states and Iran becoming more cocky and bolder with Israel, knowing that the USA would not be backing her up.
            ´
            “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
              I don't think anything would change that much in terms of the number of wars.. With the exception of the Arab states and Iran becoming more cocky and bolder with Israel, knowing that the USA would not be backing her up.
              Not sure if it would go that far. The USA could still be allied with Israel and not be the "world's policeman". Although the OP did address isolationism, the USA is too large a country and the world is too accessible for a return to 1920s - 1930s style isolationism.(although the US wasn't really isolationist then either) Special interest lobbies in Washington wouldn't let that happen.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

The US hasn't been any kind of world policeman de jure since 1990. However, in theory, it assumes itself as so. If this ended, it'd radically boost relations with the outside world, and likely the wars in the Middle East would end as isolationism began.

As for who would take their place, I don't think anyone would. The other three superpowers, the EU collective, Russia, and China, would probably maintain the status quo, though one of them might rise up at one point.

Comment

This isn't "Happening Now" in any terms as is the prerequisite of Politics Central.

In that it isn't a play upon how history in the past may have played out in the past, it isn't an Alternate Timelines.

It is a hypothetical question, it is worthy of discussion, the laxity of rules in PC do not exist here.

Discuss it genuinely, the bar against trolling & personal insult is firm as in any of our other historical forums.

Thread moved most properly to Research, Reference & Historical Studies Forum.

ACG Staff
                  On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Ricthofen View Post
                    The US hasn't been any kind of world policeman de jure since 1990. However, in theory, it assumes itself as so. If this ended, it'd radically boost relations with the outside world, and likely the wars in the Middle East would end as isolationism began.

As for who would take their place, I don't think anyone would. The other three superpowers, the EU collective, Russia, and China, would probably maintain the status quo, though one of them might rise up at one point.
                    Disagree. US involvement in Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Libya, and various other places have all happened since 1990. For good or ill, depending on your point of view, the US has been a world policeman.

I would classify Afghanistan as a special case though. The US was attacked. The group that attacked the US was sheltering in Afghanistan with the full knowledge and support of the Afghan government of that time. I would wager that any country that just had over 2,000 of its citizens killed in one day would retaliate by invading, or intervening if that's a better term, the country where the responsible group was hiding. If it had the means to do so that is. That makes that a justified "police" action.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                      Disagree. US involvement in Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Libya, and various other places have all happened since 1990. For good or ill, depending on your point of view, the US has been a world policeman.

I would classify Afghanistan as a special case though. The US was attacked. The group that attacked the US was sheltering in Afghanistan with the full knowledge and support of the Afghan government of that time. I would wager that any country that just had over 2,000 of its citizens killed in one day would retaliate by invading, or intervening if that's a better term, the country where the responsible group was hiding. If it had the means to do so that is. That makes that a justified "police" action.
                      The issue, however, is staying, that's where my disagreement starts. Tens of thousands have died over the attacks and the War has lasted over a decade. It's much too long to be over there with no progress made in defeating the Taliban.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricthofen View Post
                        The issue, however, is staying, that's where my disagreement starts. Tens of thousands have died over the attacks and the War has lasted over a decade. It's much too long to be over there with no progress made in defeating the Taliban.
                        Fair enough. I also think we've been there too long.

Comment

Hi

Woodrow Wilson declared in 1919:-
                          "after you have become a determining factor you cannot remain isolated, whether you want to or not"
                          from a speech he gave in Des Moines, Iowa

Unless the US were to lessen its role in many facets of world economic, fiscal, cultural and societal trends etc, then it will never happen.

Regards
                          "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

The Way-Back Machine

A previous discussion on this topic.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=80671
                            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X