No announcement yet.

U.S. Army Reserve Infantry Unit's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that looks familiar. I knew that one of the Infantry Battalions was now from Michigan. Still this proves my point of the 32nd INFBDE of being changed from what it used to be. Before WWII there were two Michigan INFREG and two from Wisconsin. The 32nd INFDIV got a Michigan INFREG to fill it out after WWII. The other Michigan Infantry Regiment was part of the 38th INFDIV.

Notice that an extra Artillery Battalion is attached to a Wyoming Artillery Brigade?

It does no good to try to keep up with the exact composition anymore.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      Yes, that looks familiar. I knew that one of the Infantry Battalions was now from Michigan. Still this proves my point of the 32nd INFBDE of being changed from what it used to be. Before WWII there were two Michigan INFREG and two from Wisconsin. The 32nd INFDIV got a Michigan INFREG to fill it out after WWII. The other Michigan Infantry Regiment was part of the 38th INFDIV.
      Before WWII, we had square divisions with four regiments, two in each of two brigades: the 63rd Infantry Brigade had 125th and 126th Infantry in th MIARNG; the 64th Infantry Brigade had the 127th and 128th Infantry in the WIARNG. Typically, all units were formed, but were significantly under strength when mobilized in 1940 and had to be filled with draftees.

After WWII, we kept a very large force structure of both ARNG and Organized Reserve (later Army Reserve) divisions, even though they were again typically far less than full strength.

The division was reduced to a separate brigade in 1967, as part of a restructuring of the reserve components, although it retained the divisional number and lineage. It was mechanized in 1971, became a divisional brigade of the 34th ID (MNARNG) in 1997, and once again separate in 2001. I'm not clear what point you're trying to make, other than structures routinely change

Notice that an extra Artillery Battalion is attached to a Wyoming Artillery Brigade?
      Not attached, aligned. There are 8 FA BDEs among the 50 states. The various non-BCT cannon and rocket battalions (something like 25 or 30 battalions) from across significantly more states are all aligned against one of the 8, but they also have a state command relationship with either their state HQs or a brigade in their state, and could deploy with any number of active or reserve HQs

It does no good to try to keep up with the exact composition anymore.

Pruitt
      I'm not sure that's any more true today than any other time in history- the only constant is change.

Comment

Pruitt
        The 32nd Division (ex 11th Division) was manned by the Michigan and Wisconsin National Guard. When the division went to a square division in 1917, it had two regiments of infantry from both states. In WWII the division was triangularized the 125th Infantry from Michigan became independent. After WWII, the guard was expanded adding the 43rd to 50th Infantry Divisions, and Michigan's 126th Infantry was pulled from the 32nd (along with other various units from MI) and with the 125th formed the basis of the new 46th Infantry Division, which was entirely from Michigan (a third regiment, the 225th Infantry, was raised at this time). In the late fifties the division went to the Pentomic organization, and the ROAD there were two brigades (I think, not sure of the third). In the late 60's reduction of the Guard by MacNamara, the division was inactivated except the 2nd Brigade, which became the 46th Brigade, and attached to the 38th Infantry Division (Indiana NG). There it served until 2006 or so time frame when under the downsizing of the Guard under Rumsfeld, the 46th Brigade was inactivated as well as an infantry and tank battalion with the two remaining battalions attached to the 37th Infantry Brigade from Ohio. The 1-125th still remains with the 37th, while last year the 1-126th Cavalry (RSTA) was attached to the 32nd Infantry Brigade.

On a personal note, I belong to a Civil War "Reenactment/Gun club that traditionally holds a long range historic artillery competition at Camp Grayling. However this year we were bumped, because of a massive increase in the training schedule. It looks like out slot was taken by the 32nd Brigade which scheduled a very large brigade sized exercise for the past few weeks.

Tuebor

Comment

Working...
        X