Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPFOR (Stromian) TOE for upcoming ARCON 2004....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPFOR (Stromian) TOE for upcoming ARCON 2004....

Canadian Military Excercise this August. Stromian forces are hypothetical.
    (SEE ATTACHED FILES)
    Notice that OPFOR is considered to be armed with older technology.
    Attached Files
    Better to be judged by twelve
    then carried by six.

Originally posted by Rame
    Notice that OPFOR is considered to be armed with older technology.
    They seem to be armed and organised along the lines of the Warsaw Pact Armies of the early 1970s! Talk about preparing to fight the last war!
    Owner and operator, Armed Forces of the Asia Pacific
    Forum administrator, www.orbat.com
    Co-administrator, www.historic-battles.com

Comment

I would assume they have OPFOR with that kind of equipment because the Canadian DND would not be sending or stationing its armed forces in areas that would have things like T-80, T-84 and T-90 tanks roaming around. Places like Afghanistan where the warlords have some of that 1970-1980ish stuff as an example. In Kosovo the Canadian contingent came after most of the multi-national forces had already established some regional control to seperate the feuding factions. Sorry to say but backwater area peace keeping is what the Canadian forces will be armed for now and in the future.
      then carried by six.

Comment

But if only peacekeeping, why train against simulated mech DIVISIONS?

I mean the Afghan warlords are surely not likely to join forces and attack in an organized fashion IMHO...
        "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
        which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
        The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
        returned to its home base."

Comment

I believe its because the size of the excercise itself is what's important. More troops get involved in the training. Like in most military excercises, BLUEFOR and OPFOR (Stromian) are all from the same army. Its not always what you have to use for equipment but how you use it.
          With Canada being asked to get involved in more places around the globe, training the small army to keep it ready when called upon is easier with larger scaled excercises. This leaves the army with a larger trained up cross section of troops to use. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, Canada is not likely to get into real situations involving division sized forces.
          then carried by six.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rame]I believe its because the size of the excercise itself is what's important. More troops get involved in the training. Like in most military excercises, BLUEFOR and OPFOR (Stromian) are all from the same army. Its not always what you have to use for equipment but how you use it. ... QUOTE]

I think this is very true. If you can train to defeat a 20,000 strong, reinforced MRD, you can defeat pretty much any less well organized force of 20,000 of anybody else.
            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X