NATO Military Symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NATO Military Symbols

A familiar sight to wargamers, the most common type of military symbols today are the ones used by NATO forces. The latest set, called APP-6A, Military Symbols for Land Based Systems for the NATO version or MIL-STD-2525A, Common Warfighting Symbology for the US equivalent is relatively recent, dating from the early 2000s, but does anyone know the history of these symbols? when were they first invented?, were they in use (in a simpler form) in the US forces during WW2 or earlier?

MIL-STD-2525 Manual (pdf, 556 pages)

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
    A familiar sight to wargamers, the most common type of military symbols today are the ones used by NATO forces. The latest set, called APP-6A, Military Symbols for Land Based Systems for the NATO version or MIL-STD-2525A, Common Warfighting Symbology for the US equivalent is relatively recent, dating from the early 2000s, but does anyone know the history of these symbols? when were they first invented?, were they in use (in a simpler form) in the US forces during WW2 or earlier?

MIL-STD-2525 Manual (pdf, 556 pages)
    The basic symbols have a long history. I have seen 18th century "wargames" with the blocks depicted with artillery, infantery, and cavlry. A cannonball is the artillery, the infantry is two crossed rifles and the cavalrey one sabre. I bellive more symbols where added with the invention of new units.
    Last edited by Pergite; 18 Jul 07, 05:06.
    "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Somewhat related to the topic, here is a TrueType font that a guy made of the APP6 symbols:

http://www.mapsymbs.com/

Kind of odd, but he includes some sample documents to see how they work. Very cool!
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X