Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on buying a Mauser?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help on buying a Mauser?

    Hey I'm hoping to buy a Mauser 98k for purposes of reenactments, and I just need some basic help on making sure I'm buying a decent quality weapon.

    What would be some issues and/or good questions to ask a dealer when trying buying this weapon? I know about bore/rifling, functioning, exterior flaws, etc. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

    I have checked up on gun ownership laws in my state, and I'm going to contact the local DA to get clarification.

    Any information, tips, or help will be appreciated.
    "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
    --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

  • #2
    Make sure that you actually buy a German Mauser and not a Yugo, Turk or South American mauser.
    The Yugo mausers often have a little wooden hump on top that is a dead give-away that it ain't German.
    Alot of Mausers that were floating around a few years ago were captured by the Russians. I doubt it should be important to you, but some collectors place higher values on guns from certain years and factories. You can do a google search for Mauser factory stamp markings

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
      Hey I'm hoping to buy a Mauser 98k for purposes of reenactments, and I just need some basic help on making sure I'm buying a decent quality weapon.

      What would be some issues and/or good questions to ask a dealer when trying buying this weapon? I know about bore/rifling, functioning, exterior flaws, etc. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

      I have checked up on gun ownership laws in my state, and I'm going to contact the local DA to get clarification.

      Any information, tips, or help will be appreciated.
      If you are in Michigan, then I would be surprised if there were any laws for you to clarify. If you buy from an FFL dealer then you will have to fill out a form and get the quick approval. If you buy from anybody else in a private transfer, then there is nothing you need to do.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks. I'm aware of Russian captured Mausers, are those usually alright?

        Originally posted by Cicero View Post
        If you are in Michigan, then I would be surprised if there were any laws for you to clarify. If you buy from an FFL dealer then you will have to fill out a form and get the quick approval. If you buy from anybody else in a private transfer, then there is nothing you need to do.
        Yeah that's been my impression so far. Almost all laws seem to pertain to pistol ownership, not rifle ownership. Neverthless, I like to double check on things. I'm hoping to just purchase one from a private dealer.
        "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
        --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know where that "Cal .22 Short" stamp comes from. Here is link to where the photo came from.

          http://www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

          http://www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kody/diestamps.jpg
          Last edited by Cicero; 05 Apr 10, 00:02.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
            Thanks. I'm aware of Russian captured Mausers, are those usually alright?
            I think they can often have problems with original factory stampings being sanded off. That would be a problem if you wanted a detailed museum display for people to inspect and look at closely. But if all you want is to have one, or if you are doing re-enactments then I think the Russian capture Mausers would be just fine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Look for a 'Argentine Mauser'.

              http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/m...gentine-mauser

              If you can get one, you won't regret it...
              Credo quia absurdum.


              Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                Look for a 'Argentine Mauser'.

                http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/m...gentine-mauser

                If you can get one, you won't regret it...
                I had one and you are correct imo. Use to be able to get them much cheaper than the German made.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It could also depend on what time period you are re enacting. early on there were still quite a few Kar 98a's floating about. I see these every once in a while at shows.
                  45B10 1986-91

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    WWII partisan/resistance fighter who's using captured German equipment. Over time I could double as a German.
                    "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                    --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Check out the American Legion magazine. For the past year or so they have been advertising Mauser 98's in differing grades along with ammo pouches, and other webgear for a decent price.
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You might also look for Mausers made in the Czech Republic. After the takeover, a lot of "German" material was made in the Czech armament factories. I am unsure what the stamp marks look like.

                        Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                        Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                        by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey Hp, is yours sporterized? I had mine modified (slightly) trimming the stock down and reconfigured bolt. (for a scope)

                          I love the accuracy of this rifle...
                          Credo quia absurdum.


                          Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                            Look for a 'Argentine Mauser'.

                            http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/m...gentine-mauser

                            If you can get one, you won't regret it...
                            If one wanted to nitpick, I can point out several things that are not correct on this Mauser if you were using it for a WWII German impression. First and foremost for me are the sling attachments (should be on the side, not the bottom). Though it's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but if it's a straight bolt I would try to avoid it. They tend to be a no-no when it comes to authenticity. It may work as a starter rifle, but I would try to upgrade as soon as possible.

                            Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            You might also look for Mausers made in the Czech Republic. After the takeover, a lot of "German" material was made in the Czech armament factories. I am unsure what the stamp marks look like.

                            Pruitt
                            Again, some stitch Nazi that's performing the the S&A inspection (Safety and Authenticity) might give you grief about using a VZ 24 (which is what I assume you mean).

                            What makes me so certain? Several years of WWII German reenacting. My suggestion would be to try and get in contact with a reenacting group in your area (partisan, German, etc). Many times they will have enough loaner gear to get you in the field and give reenacting a shot. That way, if you should happen to not like it, then you're not out a bunch of money having purchased a lot of gear. While the price is going down, it's still pretty expensive.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
                              Yeah that's been my impression so far. Almost all laws seem to pertain to pistol ownership, not rifle ownership. Neverthless, I like to double check on things. I'm hoping to just purchase one from a private dealer.
                              Cicero is correct. Any long gun purchase from an FFL dealer must have a NICS background check. Any long gun purchase from a private individual is strictly a cash transaction. "Private dealer" is an oxymoron. DA's normally don't know squat about firearms laws-neither do most police. FFL dealers know the law better than either. I've worked at dealers in MI for 5 years.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X