WWII GI Pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII GI Pictures.

My friend Roach is quite heavily involved in a lot of WWII re-enacting where he and his other friends dress as various types of American soldiers.

Today we went out, just the two of us, and I took some pictures of him for his own website and for another site where he and his friends celebrate the achievements and history of the US 29th Infantry Division.

The plan was to show examples of hand signals used by US Infantrymen in WWII. However I asked nicely and Roach said I could display some extra pictures here for everyone to see.

So here we go!

I think you'll agree that he looks quite impressive with all the gear on. Personally I was really impressed with how he blended in to the background - the camouflage is very good. At one stage today we were passed by a man and his dog and they never even saw Roach crouched on the ground behind a tree! Actually, this was probably just as well as the fact that we were out and about with an M1 Garand Rifle (even though it's been legally deactivated) would have been frowned upon here in the UK.

Anyway, the number of uniforms and the amount of equipment Roach has to hand is really very impressive. We are hoping to do some "Paratrooper" shots soon.

I would post a link to his website, but he's asked me not to as it needs a revamp - no doubt if enough people in this thread ask him nicely he'll show his face and I'll be allowed to post a link.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pix.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Here's one I tried to make look as if it was actually taken in 1944.

I may have gone too far with adding "noise" to the picture. Alternatively, you might all think it still looks too "clean" and modern! I'm not really an expert at this sort of thing.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

nice work doc,
      Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Cool pics. I wanted to try my hand at making them look a bit older, too... hope you don't mind:

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup
          Cool pics. I wanted to try my hand at making them look a bit older, too... hope you don't mind:
          Hey, you are way better at this than me. Nice job on my pix!

I like the second one best. And the borders are cool.

I tried to find a Sepia option in Adobe Photoshop, but I'm buggered if I can find my way around the thing.

Can I steal these back off you?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister

Dr. S.
            Sure thing – they’re yours to begin with.

These are really the first ones I’ve ever tried to do this with, and I’m stumbling all over Paint Shop Pro trying to figure it out. I was hoping the second pic would have a “heat of the battle” look, but I think I need to add a bit more of a motion blur to it.
            Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Hey, you are way better at this than me. Nice job on my pix!

I like the second one best. And the borders are cool.

I tried to find a Sepia option in Adobe Photoshop, but I'm buggered if I can find my way around the thing.

Dr. S.
              Dr. S,

You can create the sepia tone several ways. One is by changing the photo to B/W, then back to color. Then replacing the grays with an appropriate color.

I have found the easiest way to apply a color to B/W, is to create a new layer, and fill it with an approrpiate brown/orange. The adjust the color layer transparency. Further enhancements can be made by adjusting brightness and contrast to the B/W layer.

This method allows you to play with colors, without actually touching the image.

I also like the second image as well. The buring along the left edge is a nice touch.
              Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup
                Sure thing – they’re yours to begin with.

These are really the first ones I’ve ever tried to do this with, and I’m stumbling all over Paint Shop Pro trying to figure it out. I was hoping the second pic would have a “heat of the battle” look, but I think I need to add a bit more of a motion blur to it.
                It looks pretty good already. Love the scratches. Would be cool if we could create a kind of "ripped" or "folded" effect - like it's an old crumpled and torn picture we've just scanned in. Heh heh.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
                  Dr. S,

You can create the sepia tone several ways. One is by changing the photo to B/W, then back to color. Then replacing the grays with an appropriate color.

I have found the easiest way to apply a color to B/W, is to create a new layer, and fill it with an approrpiate brown/orange. The adjust the color layer transparency. Further enhancements can be made by adjusting brightness and contrast to the B/W layer.

This method allows you to play with colors, without actually touching the image.
                  Thanks for the tips. I will learn my way around it eventually, I might give those ideas a whirl in a moment.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

It looks pretty good already. Love the scratches. Would be cool if we could create a kind of "ripped" or "folded" effect - like it's an old crumpled and torn picture we've just scanned in. Heh heh.

Dr. S.
                    There are filters built in, and ones which can be obtained for PhotoShop which will give those effects.
                    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Cool.

29TH LET'S GO!

Comment

Pretty neat all around. Does Roach only reenact in American garb?
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                          Pretty neat all around. Does Roach only reenact in American garb?
                          These days, yes. He's got tons of German stuff as well though. I would steal it from him, but I'm about a foot taller, so it wouldn't fit me.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

With all due respect to my Leader, he is not actually, as much as it is possible for him to be incorrect, correct.

I am in fact strictly GI. I have a few odds and sods of Krauton gear getting in the way here and there, but the tonnage of equipment currently filling large areas of attic space are most definitely of the OD variety.

I don't really do the re-enactment thing any more, unless it is either going to be a worthwhile event, or it's for a worthwhile reason. Consequently, Normandy trips and 'stuff' for Veterans is about the limit of what I do these days - and even then, in this day and age when real American and British troops are putting their lives on the line (and sadly losing them) it feels a little strange and uncomfortable to be playing at soldiers.

Having said that, being that it is the Normandy season, and we are soon to be entertaining some more 29th Veterans who do get a kick out of seeing the gear they used to put to use for real, now seems to be the time to pull on the ODs for one more Sinatra-esque come-back. After that, it will probably be that, because let's face it, old re-enacters don't fade away - they just get too old to be convincing!

So, until then, and in the meantime, to echo the words of Uncle Charlie, and more recently in this thread, runyan99:

29, Let's Go!
                            Vote Sinister. Failing That, Vote Ghastly - It Makes Sense

www.ghastlyco.com

Comment

Thank you Doc, now I want to re-enact WWII even MORE. (You owe me money for this....)
                              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X