Chindits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chindits...

I'm wanting to do a small display dedicated to these soldiers, anybody know where I might glean a repro WW2 bush hat?

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

https://toppots.net/main.php?do=clie...id=1015&type=O

Paul
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Several auctions on ebay for WW2 Repro Slouch Hats too......items are 'down under' though mostly!

Comment

Thanks chaps managed to glean an original for a price that warms the cockles of a Yorkshireman's heart... nowt!

Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
          I'm wanting to do a small display dedicated to these soldiers, anybody know where I might glean a repro WW2 bush hat?

Are you going to recreate the malaria, bodily fungus dysentery and malnutrition a great many had to endure?

That's the problem with re enactment in general - it produces a sanitised picture of what the poor brave s*ds actually had to endure.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Are you going to recreate the malaria, bodily fungus dysentery and malnutrition a great many had to endure?
            Serpently am... it's the only fookin' way I'll ever lose some weight!
            Is not lost in darkness
            Over the fruitful earth
            And athwart the seas
            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

If you really want to look the part, lose about 75 pounds and grow a beard! Malaria will also add a touch of realism!

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Hey Von!

For a Chindit re-enactment, I thought a hat or lack of it would be the very least of your potential shortages.

To my mind, a Chindit re-enactor group would place MULES at a premium of purchace. The best uniforms in the world will look very out of place without an animal or two to provide a large dose of authenticity!

I have quite a good read about Chindit operations from one of their glider pilots. Its called "Out Of The Blue", and it changed my opinion of Orde Wingate forever.

Have you read that one yet?
                My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Serpently am... it's the only fookin' way I'll ever lose some weight!
                  I'd advise on missing out on the malaria, it isn't much fun.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

My suggestion for a "Chindit" re-enactment group....

Stanley and I were by the door of the DC-3, checking a ramp, when he approached with two staff officers trailing behind.. He was wearing his coal scuttle topee, carrying a staff, bearded once again, heavy brows, aggressive in approach. Without any pre-amble he asked if we had been practising the use of radio to give homing signals for supply aircraft.
                    We had not.
                    Stanley and I had long agreed on the wasteful futility of this scyheme and I welcomed the opportunity of telling Wingate why, foolishly assuming he would listen- just in case we had a contribution to make.
                    "No Sir," I said, "The reason is-"
                    "You will practice it."
                    I tried to go on, to point out the serious waste of bettery power it entailed, but it was impossible to contact the man. He was leaning forward, resting on his prohet's staff- he always seemed to have a slight stoop- and peering into the dark interior of the aircraft. I must have said only a word or two before he cut in, impervious to reason and still not noticing us with his attention.
                    "You will practice it. At every opportunity." It was not even a firmly insistent order, just a confident assertion. Then he left us.

And to Hell with you, too, I thought. There had been no contact between us. He might have been dictating an order, so flat and impersonal was his tone. I don't think he heard words from me, just a noise to be stopped.

"We'll just ignore the bloody order, say the radio wasn't working if anybody questions."
                    It took very special treatment to incite someone as honest as Stanley into a conspiracy of deceit.
                    Wingate managed it, in that one brief contact.
                    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X