Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do posters feel about re-enactment societies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North York Moors Railway had a wartime weekend when each station had a 'precence'.... Brits in one, Yanks in another and Jerries in the third. Predictably it all ended in tears when the idiots playing at being Germans started rausing and schnelling passengers for 'papers' on their train. To my ever lasting delight a Yorkshireman and Veteran of WW2 turned on them and shouted back.

"We fought the war so's the bastards that demanded papers from them they conquered would never do it here. Now **** off sonny before I re-declare hostilities!"

Everyone on the train cheered him for that one, re-enactors are wankers!

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

What's the fuss

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post

Best equipped Volksstrum re-enactment I've ever seen.

Wait a minute- BLuE JEANS - in Der Volkstrumm??
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
        I like the Roman period because;

a) It's far enough in the past that you won't upset anyone.

b) The look on the kids' faces when they can actually ask questions of a Roman, seeing what each bit of kit does, etc.

"Why is your sword on the right ?" is a great one to answer with a demonstration.

Why do you have the sword on your right and not your left anyways?
        Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
        And sorry I could not travel both
        And be one traveler, long I stood
        Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
        I took the one less traveled by,
        And that has made all the difference.

Comment

I used to hang out with some folks from the SCA, and to a person they were lovely, dedicated knowlegable and passionate about their hobby. I enjoyed going to practice sessions however when it came time to get fully kitted up and do an event in public I felt like a giant Berk. I just couldnt get 'into character' and felt like a damn fool.

No matter how hard I try I'm just not into the whole 'dressing up' thing.

If I ever become a homeless person, living on the streets (or out in the bush more likely), then I think I could become a Wehrmacht reenactor though. I can't stand the look of a clean recently washed reenactor, but If I had slept rough in my uniform for a few months and walked the soles off my boots I might get closer. Hard to reconcile this behaviour with having a job/mortage/family etc though.
          One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
          Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Maynard View Post

Why do you have the sword on your right and not your left anyways?
            You can draw it (vertically with a reversed grip) without moving your shield away from your body.

Romans attacked either with the pilum (legionnaries), thrown before engaging, or the hasta(auxilliaries) used as a pole-arm - sooner or later, this would be lost or broken.

Either way, you'd have to draw your sword while a hoard of hairy barbarians were bearing down on you, and the last thing you wanted to do was give them an opening.

I demonstrate this by turning 90 degrees, putting my shield in the battle-position, dropping my spear and drawing my sword so fast, they don't even see it move - they love that. It's a matter of pride that my sword is in position before the dropped spear hits the ground.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

It's a matter of pride that my sword is in position before the dropped spear hits the ground.
              Thus rests the case for the prosecution of sad wankerdom!
              Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                North York Moors Railway had a wartime weekend when each station had a 'precence'.... Brits in one, Yanks in another and Jerries in the third. Predictably it all ended in tears when the idiots playing at being Germans started rausing and schnelling passengers for 'papers' on their train. To my ever lasting delight a Yorkshireman and Veteran of WW2 turned on them and shouted back.

"We fought the war so's the bastards that demanded papers from them they conquered would never do it here. Now **** off sonny before I re-declare hostilities!"

Everyone on the train cheered him for that one, re-enactors are wankers!

Nicely done!.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

True, but it doesn't hurt anyone.
                  Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

True, but it doesn't hurt anyone.
                    Wot! Wot! You could 'ave some bleeder's eye out wiv that Gladius matey!
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

I don't really have a problem with re-enacting.
                      I did two years re-enacting the American Civil War.
                      After awhile, I felt uncomfortable doing the battles.
                      Just didn't seem right to do it.
                      Camp life was fine.
                      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Thanks Slug,
                        I've wanted to commit, but I felt this was a European War discussion.
                        Here, we have mountain rendezvous, and pre CW encampments. The rules for the encampments are incredibly strict. If it didn't exist in the time period, it was not allowed. Wearing blue jeans would exclude you post haste.
                        Of course, the "enemy" would be Native Americans, but their camps and ours were yards apart and the battles were active, the drinks at night were enjoyed by both.
                        My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

But what’s with these guys depicting SS (!) or other Axis units of dubious distinction?
                          I recall a few months ago someone surreptitiously taped a gathering of some SS re-enactors in the UK. One of them is distinctly heard making some pretty damning comments about ‘Pakis’ or blacks along the lines of how he’d like to deal with ‘those’ kind of people.
                          In other words he said what you’d expect someone from the friggin’ actual SS to say!
                          If you read between the lines, the British are stating how they feel about modern Britain and how they don't like it. I guess many feel this way but don't have the guts to say it in public because none is allowed to have an opinion with this new migration policy we have in western nations... Maybe this is why so many Americans and British love to reenact SS / Wehrmacht.

It's the same as modern day military and WWII movies. I bet modern soldiers and movie actors feel like they are reenacting WWII. Bet they are loving it just as much as people who do real reenactments.

I see nothing wrong with reenacting! It looks fun!

Comment

Only if the sword is drawn too close across one's torso...
                            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

I bet modern soldiers
                              OMG, are you a full twit? Modern day soldiers are not reenacting a damn thing. They are doing what most all soldiers have done. They are risking their lives damn it. Acting or thinking that they are just like those of WWII is a couple grades past foolish thinking.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Well, I do know of some modern American troops wishing they were apart of the SS. Why? The desire to be apart of WWII German land forces making these American troops wishing they could reenact some part of WWII. This was 2010 and they wanted to pose with an SS flag and be proud of it. This to me means that these men do want to reenact or be part of something related to WWII.

So many men & women do fantasized over WWII.

Comment

Working...
                                X