Plastic Sailing Ship Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SgtTerry View Post
    Niels, It's always interesting to see what you're going to build next! Looking forward to seeing your HMS Victory!
    Thankyou--SgtTerry, I was just thinking about takeing some picturs of it. I apprieceat your intrest in this thred.

Comment

• Here are the picturs SgtTerry asked for. So far I have: sanded off the copper plateing dietail , cut open all the cannon ports that were molded closed , cut four new ones at the back of the ship , added a section of deck at the entry ports , correctid the mistake at the top deck= it was much lower on one side , and cut down -and cut open the top edges of the sides.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by niels wilhelm; 16 Aug 10, 17:46. Reason: finish

Comment

• Thank you Niels! It's amazing to see how it looks when you start compared to how it looks when finished.

Comment

• With the Foremast finished, 1/2 the sails are on.
          Attached Files

Comment

• It must be horribly difficult to get all the sails trimmed properly. Are you able to move 'em around after they're all assembled? I've spent a lot of time sailing but don't think I'd have the foresight to properly place all the sails.

It may not even be a detail that's worth spending much time on?
            Skip

Comment

• Hey Niels, I am getting ready to do a Sopwith Camel, it has a lot of rigging, and I don't know anyone better than you. Do you have any advice or tips that might make the process a little less painful?
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
              John Adams, 1770

Comment

• Originally posted by skiplc View Post
                It must be horribly difficult to get all the sails trimmed properly. Are you able to move 'em around after they're all assembled? I've spent a lot of time sailing but don't think I'd have the foresight to properly place all the sails.

It may not even be a detail that's worth spending much time on?
                First-Thankyou for looking in on my thred-skiplc. Secound-I keep a small pen knife sharper than a razer blade "that's the secret to trimming sails". And last-All my sails are tied in place, not glued. As the kit sail placement is rong and needs to be adjusted useing the rigging. I hope you will continue to look in from time to time.

Comment

• Originally posted by modelsinchina View Post
                  Hey Niels, I am getting ready to do a Sopwith Camel, it has a lot of rigging, and I don't know anyone better than you. Do you have any advice or tips that might make the process a little less painful?
                  I have never rigged an aircraft-modelsinchina. So I hill have to gess. I would think a very fine nonstreching steel wire would have to be used. Then small holes drilled at the basses of the struts so that the wire can be run through all the struts, pulled tight-and superglued. Perhaps one of the aircraft modelers here can offer greater insight. I look forward to seeing your build picturs.

Comment

• I've always has a soft spot for plastic sailing ship models. Current project is to make a tasty Bar-B-Que sauce for the 4 cats in the house. Given a little time those could tear down the Great Wall...
                    Skip

Comment

• Sorry that it's been so long since I've looked at your thread Niels. Just got done looking through your last 8 or 10 pics you've posted. Dang! As always Niels, stellar work. You do some magnificent work on those ships. I could only hope to have the skill and patience that you have to complete a model of that 'depth'. Kudo's!
                      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

• Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                        Sorry that it's been so long since I've looked at your thread Niels. Just got done looking through your last 8 or 10 pics you've posted. Dang! As always Niels, stellar work. You do some magnificent work on those ships. I could only hope to have the skill and patience that you have to complete a model of that 'depth'. Kudo's!
                        No need to be sorry-triggerjockey, trying to squies the same amount of dietail into this 1/200scale model--that I put into the last 1/150scale one, has slowed down my production time -so it's longer between my posts. Regarding your last thought-triggerjockey, I was hopeing that by compairing my first Royal Louis from 25 years ago--to this present work, that modelers would see an evaloution of rigging dietail. I'm trying to encurrage plastic modelers to build sailing ship models by showing that thay can be built--and that greater rigging dietail can be learned a little at a time over the corse of many years. I hope my present work is not -discurrageing- anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by niels wilhelm View Post
                          No need to be sorry-triggerjockey, trying to squies the same amount of dietail into this 1/200scale model--that I put into the last 1/150scale one, has slowed down my production time -so it's longer between my posts. Regarding your last thought-triggerjockey, I was hopeing that by compairing my first Royal Louis from 25 years ago--to this present work, that modelers would see an evaloution of rigging dietail. I'm trying to encurrage plastic modelers to build sailing ship models by showing that thay can be built--and that greater rigging dietail can be learned a little at a time over the corse of many years. I hope my present work is not -discurrageing- anyone.
                          Well, with practice over a length of time, skill's become better and better. Although ships are not really my forte, the skills that I have picked up working on armor kits, mainly WWII stuff and a couple of more modern ones, when looking at some of my early works compared to the more later ones, it is pretty interesting to see the improvements. Little by little, each completed tank or AFV looks a little better than than the previous one.
                          I don't know if I could ever compete with the work that you do. The whole thing from the building all the way through the painting and rigging is just awesome. Keep up the excellent work Niels.
                          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

• With thies 4-picturs only : 3-yards, 4-sails, and 5-flags, riemain to finish this build,
                            Attached Files

Comment

• a fine ship

this one should be museum quality too ,niels you have the gift
                              "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
                              "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
                              m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
                              leo2a6m 'the stan'
                              leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
                              leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
                              leo2a4 can.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...