Cleaning out my sanding sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning out my sanding sticks

I have the problem of clogging my sanding sticks with putty when working on my models.

For a while I found that pulling them through a cotton rag would clean out most of the putty. However it would still leave the worst behind. I now have over 20 sanding sticks to replace ones that had filled in.

I now use a wire wheel from my drill (the wire brush I have is far to large). I just scrape it down the stick and it pulls out all of the putty even the hardened areas.

So now I can use all 20 of my sanding sticks again.
    wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Hmm I have one of those and I am left wondering, why did I never think of this before?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Does that method take off any of the 'grit' of the sanding stick?
      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

I am sure it pulls some off, but I have not had to buy sanding sticks in over a year right now. Whereas before I buying then every several months due to them clogging up before they wore out.
        wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Comment

My wife buys me the sanding sticks that are sold for doing your fingernails, some are dirt cheap and quite useful.... oddly enough it's the black ones that last the longest, I've had them for over a year now with a lot of grit left in them.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
          Mark Twain.

Comment

Much thanks Warren and Garry. That is going to save me a bunch of money. I never thought of using the fingernail emery sticks or cleaning my existing sticks with a wire wheel. Score one for the plastic addicts.
            "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Thank you Sensei.
              "At some point, we've all parked in the wrong garage."- Roger Sterling, Jr.

Comment

thank you that should save me a bit
                The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us. But, we don't ask for their love; only for their fear.
                Heinrich Himmler

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X