Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday money instead ...

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share with you all, a nice and very positive experience regarding my recent birthday presents, which all relate to modelling!

Each year when my birthday draws near, certain family members either quietly ask my wife what I would like for a present, or occasionally they ask me direct. That's when I drop the hints about models, or vouchers to spend at the hobby shop.

This year, due to my wife being unable to do the shopping run-around (on account of a leg injury that has her largely immobilized), she could not do any birthday shopping for me; nor could she drive my son to either of the two hobby shops I usually buy from. So, she asked if I would be upset to be simply given birthday money instead. I replied to the effect that I would not be in the least bit upset and she should not be at all concerned!

Thing is, not only did I get birthday money from my wife (on behalf of her and my son) this year but all the other relatives - except for one - also gave me money, and this has never happened before! So here I am with this quite substantial swag of cash. My thinking was that there are some kits out there I have often looked at and wanted to buy but the price usually put me off. I resolved to buy them.

So here's what I finished up with:

1/48 aircraft
    Eduard 8171 Fw 190A-6
    Eduard 8173 Fw 190A-8
    Eduard 8179 Fw 190F-8
    Eduard 8205 Bf 110G-2 (day fighter/strike aircraft)
    Eduard 8206 Bf 110G-4 (night fighter)
    Eduard 8221 F6F-3 Hellcat

1/35 AFVs
    Dragon 6556 Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. J Mid Production

The Eduard plane kits are totally outstanding. Arguably, the best of their type in 1/48 scale. Some of you may remember an earlier version of the Bf 110 I purchased last year, and how excellent I thought it was. Same applies to all of them.

Of course, as gratifying and joyful as this purchasing experience was to me (not to mention the drooling over the kits when I got them home), it only adds to my problem of having a large stash and a very low build rate! One of these days, I'll find or make the time to actually finish some of these outstanding models.
    Last edited by panther3485; 24 May 10, 09:05.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Very nice collection mate, the shop owner should have tossed in a small kit for being such a good customer! I can't argue with Eduard, like you said, outstanding kits in their own right. The Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. J Mid Production looks like a good buy, is that the one with PE schurzen for the hull, plus does it come with a metal barrel?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
    Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
      Very nice collection mate, the shop owner should have tossed in a small kit for being such a good customer! I can't argue with Eduard, like you said, outstanding kits in their own right. The Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. J Mid Production looks like a good buy, is that the one with PE schurzen for the hull, plus does it come with a metal barrel?
      The kits came from both of the hobby shops I go to (three from one, four from the other) and both shops gave me 10% discount so it wasn't too bad.

The Pz 4J is an outstanding kit also, IMO. It is based on the latest gen Pz 4 hulls with 'simplified' (by Dragon standards) suspension; i.e., fewer parts but without loss of detail compared with their 'mega-parts-count' panzer 4s of a few years back (which I also have some of). Yes, it does have the PE schurzen and they are excellent. It doesn't have a metal barrel but their new 'one-piece' barrels are extremely good, in that you don't have to glue two sides together and then try to hide the join. All the ones I have are arrow straight (no warps) and only need at the very most the lightest touch with 1200 grit. Painted and finished, I'd defy you to tell the difference once the muzzle brake is on the end.
      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Well, like has been said before. When you wait to get a kit that you want, sometimes it is not around anymore. I wouldn't feel too bad about having a large stash and a slow build rate. At least you have the ones that you want. I say, more power to ya.
        "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
          Well, like has been said before. When you wait to get a kit that you want, sometimes it is not around anymore. I wouldn't feel too bad about having a large stash and a slow build rate. At least you have the ones that you want. I say, more power to ya.
          Cheers mate.

Yes, one of the reasons I have for bagging a desirable model whenever I can, is that in the past I have put off buying for whatever reason, only to regret it later when the kit became unavailable. My reasoning now is that as long as I can afford it, I won't risk that happening again. Sometimes it means I end up with extra kits (buying an earlier release, then replacing it with a later release that I think is a bit better) but they are never really wasted because somebody else always benefits from the resulting 'spare' kits, whether it's my Son, my Dad (who also builds models) or even occasionally maybe one of you guys.
          Last edited by panther3485; 25 May 10, 02:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
            .... or even occasionally maybe one of you guys.
            Well if you have an old Jagdtiger, or a old Panther Ausf A kit gathering dust let me know.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
            Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
              Well if you have an old Jagdtiger, or a old Panther Ausf A kit gathering dust let me know.
              Well, whatever comes up if I intend to give it away to a fellow ACG modeller, it's 'first in best dressed', as always.
              But 88L71 can get to the back of the queue 'cos he was first to put his hand up last time so he got the goodies.

There is my Revell/Monogram Pro-Modeler 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4 night fighter (replaced by the new Eduard kit mentioned above), which is an excellent model but my Dad has already bagged that for himself. And my son has bagged a spare 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter. That'll keep the both of 'em happy for a while.

This weekend I may go through my inventory because I think I might have another couple of kits spare, and at least one of these will be an AFV. I'll keep ya'll posted on that.

Best to all,
              panther3485

Comment

Well, whatever comes up if I intend to give it away to a fellow ACG modeller, it's 'first in best dressed', as always.
                But 88L71 can get to the back of the queue 'cos he was first to put his hand up last time so he got the goodies.

There is my Revell/Monogram Pro-Modeler 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4 night fighter (replaced by the new Eduard kit mentioned above), which is an excellent model but my Dad has already bagged that for himself. And my son has bagged a spare 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter. That'll keep the both of 'em happy for a while.

This weekend I may go through my inventory because I think I might have another couple of kits spare, and at least one of these will be an AFV. I'll keep ya'll posted on that.

Best to all,
                panther3485
                OK guys, I've been sorting through my stash over the weekend and I'm not even half way. So far I've uncovered 3 kits that will be given away. The way things are going by the time I've finished there could be at least half a dozen, maybe more. I'm even thinking of offering a couple of the better ones as prizes for builds here? Seriously, I've not gone mad (or at least, I hope I haven't?) I'm just desperately low on storage space at home and these are kits I will almost certainly not build, as they have been replaced and are 'surplus to my requirements'. My Dad and my son are both already well catered for, so time to look outside the family for some deserving recipients. Who better than my fellow modelling mates right here on ACG?

I'll continue the sorting process until completion, which could easily take out my spare time over the next several days. When finished, I propose to start another thread detailing what kits are on offer, free of charge, to anyone who wants them. More details then.

Duncan & Freightshaker: If you think offering a kit or two as prizes is a good idea, please PM me and we can discuss it. If my life is too busy to build very many kits (and these days, I'm doing well if I can finish one a year), then maybe this is a good way for me to contribute?

Best to all,
                panther3485
                Last edited by panther3485; 30 May 10, 02:39.

Comment

OK guys, I've been sorting through my stash over the weekend and I'm not even half way. So far I've uncovered 3 kits that will be given away. The way things are going by the time I've finished there could be at least half a dozen, maybe more. I'm even thinking of offering a couple of the better ones as prizes for builds here? Seriously, I've not gone mad (or at least, I hope I haven't?) I'm just desperately low on storage space at home and these are kits I will almost certainly not build, as they have been replaced and are 'surplus to my requirements'. My Dad and my son are both already well catered for, so time to look outside the family for some deserving recipients. Who better than my fellow modelling mates right here on ACG?

I'll continue the sorting process until completion, which could easily take out my spare time over the next several days. When finished, I propose to start another thread detailing what kits are on offer, free of charge, to anyone who wants them. More details then.

Duncan & Freightshaker: If you think offering a kit or two as prizes is a good idea, please PM me and we can discuss it. If my life is too busy to build very many kits (and these days, I'm doing well if I can finish one a year), then maybe this is a good way for me to contribute?

Best to all,
                  panther3485
                  Sounds like a solid plan to me. I say, "the best 'nation' in the world is 'donation'.
                  "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

I've just about finished sorting through my stash and I've actually found no less than 18 models to give away (4 x 1/48 aircraft, 14 x 1/35 AFVs). And that's after keeping some aside for my Dad and my son. Shortly, I'll start another thread listing the models and asking for suggestions on how best to use them; i.e. a few of the more attractive ones could make good prizes for builds here.

Will post details on the new thread soon.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 03 Jun 10, 09:15.

Comment

I've just about finished sorting through my stash and I've actually found no less than 18 models to give away (4 x 1/48 aircraft, 14 x 1/35 AFVs). And that's after keeping some aside for my Dad and my son. Shortly, I'll start another thread listing the models and asking for suggestions on how best to use them; i.e. a few of the more attractive ones could make good prizes for builds here.

Will post details on the new thread soon.
                      http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...33#post1505433

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X