Procrastinating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procrastinating.

I'm the first to admit that I'm procrastinating with my current projects, although with good reason the last few weeks. I know it doesn't make it any better starting a new kit, well it's nice, but when I look over my shoulder the uncompleted stuff is still in the boxes... patiently waiting.
    So I've now decided that no more kits shall be bought until almost all of my current work is out of the way and displaying on the shelf. I don't have a big stockpile of new kits but enough to keep me busy, at least a dozen kits.... lord only knows how I would deal with a huge stash, I'd be a collector, not a modeler!
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

I've made similar resolutions but never hold to them. At least now I only buy kits at model shows.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
      I'm the first to admit that I'm procrastinating with my current projects, although with good reason the last few weeks. I know it doesn't make it any better starting a new kit, well it's nice, but when I look over my shoulder the uncompleted stuff is still in the boxes... patiently waiting.
      So I've now decided that no more kits shall be bought until almost all of my current work is out of the way and displaying on the shelf. I don't have a big stockpile of new kits but enough to keep me busy, at least a dozen kits.... lord only knows how I would deal with a huge stash, I'd be a collector, not a modeler!
      I wish I had that kind of resolve AB. I have a bad problem of seeing a kit that I want or even just look good at that particular moment. I think I have a problem. Better just check myself into plastic rehab.
      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

My resolve in not as hard as one would think, I work within a very strict budget so my choices of buying any new kit is always limited... once the money is gone it's gone!
        Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

My resolve in not as hard as one would think, I work within a very strict budget so my choices of buying any new kit is always limited... once the money is gone it's gone!

Bah!!

It's only money. You'll make more of it.
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

credit cards

Comment

Originally posted by Aloess View Post
              credit cards
              ... if the wife finds out, an early grave!
              Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Yea cause if momma's not happy, ain't no one happy! I have got to finish a few before buying anymore!
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                John Adams, 1770

Comment

My mother is actually responsible for my buying habits

My dad was forever spending on something connected to his model railroad hobby. Her response was essentially, any time you get something, I get something.

I use a variation on that mindset.

My wife is a horrible one for wasting food. A loaf of bread rarely gets eaten to the last slice. I am always finding 2-3 bags of 2-5 slices left to get stale and wasted. She always cooks a meal sized for 5 in a family of 3. Additionally she is ok preparing two meals, one for myself and her, one to suit the moody interests of our son (I was raised to eat what I was given, she wasn't).

I've made it clear, if in a month she can frivolously waste on average 50 bucks on food which try as I might I can't prevent, then I can spend an equal amount wastefully too.

Not that I consider spending 50 bucks on a model to just put it on a stack is defacto wasteful The model isn't going to go stale or rot at least.

But that's the process eh. I buy one model a month regardless of whether I need it or not. And I accept no grief from her when I do it. I merely point to the bread shelf and tell her, if she can THROW MONEY AWAY, I can at least spend it efficiently in equal sums.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                    My mother is actually responsible for my buying habits

My dad was forever spending on something connected to his model railroad hobby. Her response was essentially, any time you get something, I get something.

I use a variation on that mindset.

My wife is a horrible one for wasting food. A loaf of bread rarely gets eaten to the last slice. I am always finding 2-3 bags of 2-5 slices left to get stale and wasted. She always cooks a meal sized for 5 in a family of 3. Additionally she is ok preparing two meals, one for myself and her, one to suit the moody interests of our son (I was raised to eat what I was given, she wasn't).

I've made it clear, if in a month she can frivolously waste on average 50 bucks on food which try as I might I can't prevent, then I can spend an equal amount wastefully too.

Not that I consider spending 50 bucks on a model to just put it on a stack is defacto wasteful The model isn't going to go stale or rot at least.

But that's the process eh. I buy one model a month regardless of whether I need it or not. And I accept no grief from her when I do it. I merely point to the bread shelf and tell her, if she can THROW MONEY AWAY, I can at least spend it efficiently in equal sums.
                    \
                    Sounds like a pretty good system.
                    "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

" ... (I was raised to eat what I was given ... )."
                      Me too, and that's the way my wife and I insist things operate in our own household. For the main meal every day, my son eats exactly the same food as us. Certainly, he can elect not to eat the meal if he wants to but if he chooses to do that, he does not get anything else in lieu. In other words, it's a case of eat what's there or go hungry. He knows not to even ask for anything different and he eats - and enjoys - the same food as us. These patterns are usually ingrained from a very early age.

"I've made it clear, if in a month she can frivolously waste on average 50 bucks on food which try as I might I can't prevent, then I can spend an equal amount wastefully too.

But that's the process eh. I buy one model a month regardless of whether I need it or not. And I accept no grief from her when I do it. I merely point to the bread shelf and tell her, if she can THROW MONEY AWAY, I can at least spend it efficiently in equal sums."
                      Now, that I like but it would never work for me because my wife is frugal and wastes almost nothing. So what we do is, we each get a fortnightly allowance to spend on whatever we like. The amount of the allowance can be varied. In times when we have plenty of money, we increase it. In leaner times we cut it back. But we ALWAYS have the same amount as each other. So, if she wants to buy another dress or another pair of shoes, or some more makeup or jewellery, she can do so without criticism from me. If I want to buy another military book, or another model kit, or something to upgrade my computer, I can do that without worrying about her reaction.

It's a good system, I reckon.
                      Last edited by panther3485; 19 May 10, 02:20.
                      "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I have a variation on the equal spending too.

The income tax return came in for instance and it was here is your third and your third. Yes our son gets equal time on family funds resources.

Some think that is not wise (the part about the son). But I have been lucky in that my son has been taught real early on that A. money doesn't grow on trees, and B. credit is a scam to avoid.
                        He's been taught to appreciate the value of things and to shop around and buy the 'right' choice, not the first choice.

He knows precisely how much of an income the family has and how far it can routinely go. When snacks are bought, everyone gets equal time.

The wife though has trouble remembering, I married her, I made the son. If I want to take my woman out to lunch, it doesn't always mean my son gets a meal out too. Just like I don't mind doing things that are specifically for the son.

But we try and keep 'spare cash' divided evenly.

The wife though is simply worthless at using money 'well'. She often spends it stupidly, like having 50 bucks in a month means she can cop out on dinner occasionally and blow it on pizza instead. Dumb, because pizza isn't free, and it's never a good way to use money especially if the freezer is full of food only requiring a person to give a damn about making something
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Looks like you've got it worked out pretty good there, Les.
                          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Ok, I'm starting to get the itch to do more more again but the workbench definitely needs a good spring clean! My wife has had some surgery and is currently recovering at home, so she needs alot of my help with most things around the house.... hopefully in my spare time I can clean up my mess and finish off my current projects.
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

I wish your wife a speedy recovery!
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                              John Adams, 1770

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X