Your best and worst kit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best and worst kit!

Just out of curiosity, I'm interested in reading from other members in regards to models you have built so far.... more importantly the best kit in your own opinion, plus the worst kit you've experienced. And explain why!

For me I'd have to say Tamiya's 1/35 Carro Armato M13/40 would have to be best I've built, minimal putty used for the seams, the fittings were a a dream, also it came with a nice little PE fret and the metal barrel was a welcomed inclusion. The link and length tracks were sufficient and most minor details were acceptable to the eye. It's a shame that no interior detail is included because there are large openings for this tank which can reveal the absence of detail inside.

For me the worst kit would have to be the Trumpeter 1/35 French 35/38 (H) tank, or the Hotchkiss 35. I must confess that this kit has not been touched since my botched paint work, but there was alot of hissing and muttering while assembling it. There are numerous join issues that require attention with the separate parts for the cast hull, that is to be expected but it takes alot of careful sanding to get it right. I'll be curious to see if the Bronco version does a better job in that department. The rubber tracks are not ideal, nice detail but they have to show some sag for this tank, and considering the small size of the overall tank that is a big ask.

There are other kits that just didn't quite make it to either the best and worst, but I'll leave that for later. Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away... what are your choices for each nomination?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
    Bukowski

Worst kit?

Too much water under the bridge to recall that actually. It likely was from the 70s and had Revell on the box though. Frankly IO couldn't care less what anyone might have to say about them, they sold garbage for so long I wouldn't care if they finally figured out how to make a model today.

Best kit, hmm also not easy.

My Tamiya SAS Willeys is at least finished, with crew, weathered even, and likely my best finished kit ever.

I'm also unable to say anything negative about my Tamiya ships in either 1/700th or 1/350th scales.

I don't think I've ever regretted building an Italeri or Tamiya PzIII or PzIV any variant in my life. I also think Panther Jagdpanther and Tiger II kits are nearly impossible to screw up. Anything on a T-34 or Kv1 basis is also likely safely good.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Worst?

I have had a lot of bad ones but if I had to choose it would be an Airfix 1/72 aircraft or something from AEF Designs. Tough to make a choice for worst as I have pretty equal loathing for all the bad kits I've had.

Best?

Again a near tie. In recent times I would say the Tamiya Cromwell for its absolute fall together construction and very good accuracy.

Back in my earlier modeling stint I had a 1/24 Ferrari 250 GTO that was excellent, but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. It may have been Fujimi.

My 2 cents
      On the Bench
      75' M50
      Syrian ZSU-23
      Egyptian T-54
      M1A1
      Syrian SU-100
      Magach 5
      67' Centurion Shot
      73' M-60

Comment

Best Kit: Dragon's later stuff, the last 10 years. Even their planes are good
        for the most part, but no one beats their armor.

Worst Kit: Well just about anything Russia, but then i don't buy worse
        kits anymore.
        Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Worst is easily Italeri's HEMTT Tanker; backward hatches, upside down detail, additional parts called for in instructions that shouldn't be there, parts that should be there missing. I've built two for friends and have one for myself but I can't bring myself to build it.

Best? That's a hard one. I have lots of favorites but I don't think I can narrow it down to just one.

Maybe Tamiya's old (1980's I think) Tiger I Late version, the one with the indy links. I think it was the second kit on the market to have indy links and it went together rather well.
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Best--T-34/85 with full interior in 1/48th. scale by Hobby Boss= a welth of very good dietail, and perfict fit. Worat---the 1/144scale Gustav gun= Sold as the Dora {a secound gun that was never built} the model is of a therd proposed gun with an exstended sleaved down bairole, but thay provide a coller photograph of the Gustav gun on it's roaling out day--on the box top side pannel !!! It takes a tramendis amont of work to make all the corrections nessasary to make the model look like the photoghaph thay provide.

Comment

For me, 'worst kit' = a kit made so lousy it couldn't be assembled in any fashion whatsoever accurate or grossly inaccurate.

For example, the early years Tamiya easy eight Sherman is a great example of ugly inaccuracy, but you can at least assemble it.

I've had some kits that were not obviously inaccurate, they were merely crap you couldn't build regardless. Worst offender here, a tug boat with a deck that was a FULL 1/4 INCH WIDER than the hull. You never know how much a 1/4 inch matters till it's on a model eh. The kit became instant scrap plastic at that point.

Dragon is not all infallible goodness either.
              Their Shilka was lousy enough to get round filed part way through assembly as being a large waste of valuable glue. Part fit was sufficiently dreadful, that it wasn't even good enough to build just for laughs.

I have a Monogram 1/48th scale P-51, which is likely a great waste of paint (which is why I am unlikely to ever get around to painting it) all because of very poorly executed panels allowing for view of interior locations none of which can be taken a pass on, because the part fit is so lousy you just can't take that option.

I find the P-51 is indicative of the greatest weakness usually to happen to most aircraft kits. If they suck, it's usually for this reason. Even my model of the year 32nd scale F-16 has lousy panel options to deal with.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I would have to say that the 'best kits' were a tie between the Tamiya Tiger I 'late version, and Tamiya JagdPanther which is the pinnacle of my modeling career to date.
                The worst that I can remember (and not all that well) was Accurate Armor's A-34 Comet. Nothing went together right without modification and resulted in the kit not getting completed.
                But, Bronco came out with the A-34 Comet and the reviews have been really good.
                "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, I'm interested in reading from other members in regards to models you have built so far.... more importantly the best kit in your own opinion, plus the worst kit you've experienced. And explain why!

For me I'd have to say Tamiya's 1/35 Carro Armato M13/40 would have to be best I've built, minimal putty used for the seams, the fittings were a a dream, also it came with a nice little PE fret and the metal barrel was a welcomed inclusion. The link and length tracks were sufficient and most minor details were acceptable to the eye. It's a shame that no interior detail is included because there are large openings for this tank which can reveal the absence of detail inside.

For me the worst kit would have to be the Trumpeter 1/35 French 35/38 (H) tank, or the Hotchkiss 35. I must confess that this kit has not been touched since my botched paint work, but there was alot of hissing and muttering while assembling it. There are numerous join issues that require attention with the separate parts for the cast hull, that is to be expected but it takes alot of careful sanding to get it right. I'll be curious to see if the Bronco version does a better job in that department. The rubber tracks are not ideal, nice detail but they have to show some sag for this tank, and considering the small size of the overall tank that is a big ask.

There are other kits that just didn't quite make it to either the best and worst, but I'll leave that for later. Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away... what are your choices for each nomination?
                  Though I have yet to build it, I have the Bronco H-39 and I think it should be significantly better than the Trumpeter kit. Certainly the review speaks favourably of it. The first link posted below shows a review of the Bronco kit alone, the second a comparison between the Bronco, Trumpeter and Heller kits.

"With the construction all but done I can say that my opinion after the parts comparison still stands in that this kit is the best H39 offering available."

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co...cb35001con.htm

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co...co/cb35001.htm
                  "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                  Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Worst kit was the Airfix 1/72 MiG21 I just finished. The fit was terrible and there was very little detail. But that's what you get from an inexpensive kit. No reason not to enjoy building it anyhow.

Best kit was an Eduard 1/72 Ni23 or a Revell 1/72 Panther. Excellent detail and far beyond my ability to do them justice.

My best kits I haven't built yet. I have a large stash and I've picked up many kits that are beautiful. But I lack confidence in my abilities. I'm working on that. Once my current projects are done I'm going to pull out a really nice kit and treat myself to a year of learning and enjoyment.

Comment

Worst kit to date:

1:45 Su-35 by Ki-tech Parts didn't fit, canopy was frosted all the way through, took me 4 days to glue the two fuselage halves together as they were so warped, very weak nose gear (broke twice now)

That being said there is competition for this title, a 1/32 F-16XL. Right now there are LARGE molding pins all over this aircraft - even on the exterior surfaces!! no connection points for the wings, and the decals looked as if make with crayon!

Best so for - My Hasagawa kits (only exception is their MIG-25 in 1/72) the in second are the Tamiya but only in second because of their very thick decals.
                      wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Comment

the worst kit i have built after a 30 year return to modeling is italeri's model of the opel blitz the fit issues are too numerous to name it is a total nightmare to make, imo.
                        best kit i have made is tamiya's sd.kfz.9 'famo' no fit issues with that kit even with the movable steering and suspension, the only problem i experienced was self inflicted making up the tracks i put too much glue in a couple of wrong places and had to dump them, and get a set of fruils. a dream kit to build otherwise.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X