Boredom and or Depression models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boredom and or Depression models

Ok we all likely do our own thing when bored and or depressed, me I end up shopping

Now I'm not going to buy junk I don't actually want.

So today I was more bored than the other reason. Stopped in at the ole model store in town, and decided well it's not a lot of money eh.

Picked up the Tamiya 1/48th scale WWII British Infantry Set European Theatre.

Nice kit and it has 8 infantry, 4 tank crew, 2 light vehicle crew and 1 civilian figure.

I needed this why?

Oh well it will compliment my growing stash of 1/48th scale vehicles (well that is the excuse I'm running with at least).

Buying them though is not getting my division sized stash of 1/35th scale figures done faster though

Certainly keeping the local store owner happy though
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I am on the same page as you Les. I really like hitting the good ol' model shop when boredom sets in. Bummer of it is that the only locally owned shop closed a few years ago and all we are left with is HobbyTown USA, which is a nice shop in itself, except it's corporate. I really like the old local shop even though I had to pay a couple more dollars on average for a kit or whatever.
    "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

hello,I do not understand the meaning of this topic, I am using the google translator but barely lost, is that you can enlighten me on the ongoing debate, thank you.
      Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fredbird View Post
        hello,I do not understand the meaning of this topic, I am using the google translator but barely lost, is that you can enlighten me on the ongoing debate, thank you.
        Fred
        Not a 'debate' at all. Just talking about how depression and or boredom effects the way you model, what you purchase or don't, etc.. Like, me personally, if depressed I will drink beer and just look at what I have going 'on the bench', and if I am just bored, my wallet usually gets lighter from a trip to the local hobby shop or an online trip to Great Models. Hope that that shed some light.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredbird View Post
          Fred
          triste
          Buying models makes us feel better.

Comment

I do like the idea of going out and buying more kits, but I don't. When I feel I'm at a stalemate and in need of some inspiration I look for something different to do on a simple kit already in my stash.... best example is the ongoing IS-3M thread at the moment. Trying out the hairspray technique has given my added inspiration(and trepidation) in trying out a new idea in seeing how it works, and hopefully admiring the end result. It may not work all the time but when trying out new idea the discoveries can sometimes open up alot more ideas in how I can finish off a kit.

I'm not a big fan of collecting so many kits, I have roughly a dozen in my stash now and some of these haven't seen the light of day for quite awhile.... no need to add to it.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
            Mark Twain.

Comment

When some people are bored, they eat. When some people are depressed, they eat

But not all of us

No the topic is more or less a light hearted attempt to laugh at how boredom and depression have contributed to my rather sizable collection of models.

Too much time on my hand, so I often go out for a walk, which usually results in my going shopping. Inevitably I don't buy anything most days I do this. But it happens often enough I do

And of course, like was mentioned earlier, sometimes you just need something to brighten the mood. Nothing like a new model to feel a bit happier. Although often the result is I go to the store, see plenty of great kits, but nope I already have that one and that one and that one and that one ..... It's not always enough to have money to spend if there is nothing to buy hehe.

Now 20 years ago, I was also big on buying woodworking tools.
              But you need a workshop normally to use a decent table saw. Alas I have a 1000.00 Ryobi european configuration table saw that's sitting in storage.
              I have a 300 dollar lathe in storage Then there's the drill press, the chop saw and a nice stash of common hand held power tools. Real nice plunge router and a good hammer drill for instance.
              Alas when my health buggered off, all those tools became things to leave to my son mostly.

Comment

I have a very sizeable stash of unbuilt model kits. Mostly 1/35 AFVs and 1/48 aircraft. I cannot blame either boredom or depression for this.

Although I do feel depressed occasionally, which I sometimes respond to by snacking, I almost never get bored. Life is far too busy for that. If I did have the time to get bored, I would use much of that time to build some of my kits.

When I buy a kit these days, it is nearly always in accordance with a structured plan I've been following for some years. Impulse purchases are rare; less than 1 kit in every 20.

Having said all this, I do find that buying a new kit makes me feel good. I get a buzz out of it. The biggest buzz comes when a new kit fills a gap in my collection, so I eagerly await news of new releases.

I've promised myself that I will catch up with the unbuilt kits when times are less busy but somehow, I think I may never quite finish them all.
                Last edited by panther3485; 12 Apr 10, 09:23.
                "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Whilst in the store I had occasion to browse the Tamiya catalogue. Saw a nice Luftwaffe set of miniatures. Marked with an L (limited edition). Figured I better get one today rather than later (as it looked good).

Dang, the kit is already gone though. Not even half way through the year darn it

But the point of the comment is, buy it if you can afford it while it is even there to get at all if you like it at all. Because it might not be there when you are 'ready' to need it.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                    Whilst in the store I had occasion to browse the Tamiya catalogue. Saw a nice Luftwaffe set of miniatures. Marked with an L (limited edition). Figured I better get one today rather than later (as it looked good).

Dang, the kit is already gone though. Not even half way through the year darn it

But the point of the comment is, buy it if you can afford it while it is even there to get at all if you like it at all. Because it might not be there when you are 'ready' to need it.
                    On that, I most certainly agree.

I have bought quite a number of kits that I wanted to add to my stash, pretty much as soon as they appeared in my local hobby shop. In a number of cases, I have noticed that once the original consignments of those kits were sold they never re-appeared on the shelves. So I was glad I bought them when I had the chance.

A few times in the past, I have put off a purchase for one reason or another (including sometimes lack of finance, having not always been as relatively well of as I am now), and regretted it because the kit was gone when I was ready to buy it.

There are a few new Dragon releases that have caught my interest, including a Pzkpfw III Ausf. F and a Jagdpanther with Zimmerit. I have pre-ordered them from my local dealer, to make sure I don't miss them.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 12 Apr 10, 19:41.
                    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I myself have been in the "damn, I really should have bought that" boat more times than I would like to admit.

Comment

I sometimes use model buying as self care. I am like a 12 year old on Christmas morning when I win door prizes at the model conventions. But I have far too many now and have run out of time, space, and can't justify spending on new models. I enjoy browsing my stash when I feel the urge to shop. I also get a good feeling when I decide which kit to raffle off here. It's like when I take on extra duties for my employer, spend time doing union business (quiet Freighshaker ), or coach at my judo club. Besides a community being what we make it, it's also satisfying to give back.
                        Last edited by Duncan; 12 Apr 10, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
                          Having said all this, I do find that buying a new kit makes me feel good. I get a buzz out of it. The biggest buzz comes when a new kit fills a gap in my collection, so I eagerly await news of new releases.
                          I quit smoking by rewarding myself with new kits. I now have a closet full to show for it.

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          I keep telling the wife this but she doesn't believe me.

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                          ... spend time doing union business (quiet Freighshaker )...
                          Damn pinko commies...
                          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

As a kid I used to get the 1/72 aircraft that I wasn't quite happy with my efforts on, pull them apart, stick a fire cracker in them, glue them back together and blow them to hell.

I don't know if that helps anyone but it used to make me happy.
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I have taken BB guns to some of mine....
                              wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X