Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dragon Vote, your expertise sought

Ok here is the deal.

I am taking votes on a Dragon kit to be purchased.

It must be worthy beyond doubt, of the Smart Kit Premium edition, and NOT one of the following vehicles.

No Tigers, it has been beaten to death.
    No basic issue Shermans ie must be somehow unique to be mentioned.
    No Panzer III or IV or Panthers.
    No T-34s
    No Stugs in fact try and avoid a Pz IV chassis please.

Bonus marks if it isn't an American or German tank at all.

Price level, try and keep it close to 75 bucks Canadian (which I hear is like 73 US these days).

I'd prefer it be a kit you have personally seen the insides of.

I don't have a catalogue handy, and I'd rather go with informed opinion at any rate.

I have birthday funds waiting on your suggestions
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcar...em_num=DML6532

I received it for Christmas this year. It's a nice kit with all of the infantry pictured. 13 figures all together I believe.

Review:
    http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott...ragon/6532.htm
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I have two Dragon 1/35 M1A1 AIM kits, the second was selling for $20 so I just had to buy another! Also got a 1/35 M4A3 Sherman 105mm HVSS, not your average Sherman tank. I haven't built any as yet, but from looking in the box there are more than enough parts to keep you busy for quite some time.
      Or perhaps an 88 Flak 37 with crew.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
      Mark Twain.

Comment

Currently half way through the Tamiya 88 Flak actually

The Local Shop has a Firefly, but man, I've already done soooo many Sherman Chassis, and the thought of seeing an ultra Sherman boogie set gives me the willies

They also have a US half track GMC, and fortunately I am not awash in half tracks.

Comment

dragon

pak 38 and crew
          "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
          "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
          m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
          leo2a6m 'the stan'
          leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
          leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
          leo2a4 can.

Comment

I have 2 Dragon Premium kits that are both quite nice

1. SU-100. Definitely a different subject. Comes with Dragon Magic tracks, metal barrel and a pant load of etched brass. From what I have read in reviews (haven't built it my self yet) it fits quite well too. It is the WWII version so if a post war variant is desired some work is needed.

2. M51 Super Sherman. It is a Sherman but its on a whack load of steroids. It is HVSS so its not the same old running gear. Again, kit has a lot of etched brass including full fenders. DS tracks which are very nice and a metal barrel. Builds into a very late M51 c1975. If you really wanted to go nuts you could build a Chilean version which are the only other operators other than the IDF.

My 2 cents

P.S. I actually have 3 Dragon M51 kits waiting to be built...yes I have problems
            Last edited by solo84vw; 30 Mar 10, 22:16.
            On the Bench
            75' M50
            Syrian ZSU-23
            Egyptian T-54
            M1A1
            Syrian SU-100
            Magach 5
            67' Centurion Shot
            73' M-60

Comment

Ya I was thinking of the 88mm as well.

Comment

So far it seems like the Firefly in town, or an ordered in M51 even if it is more Shermans

It would allow me to put this bastardised M51 wanna be out of it's misery with it's grossly unlikely chassis and hull cast resin turret with questionable parts and resin barrel which has to be replaced.

Although truth be told, the money might get stolen by a Tamiya 1/48th scale Focke Wolf. I don't have a decent German Fighter.

Comment

bf 52

got a bf 52 engine that would be a change from the tiger panther sherman pz4 boardum sell it to you cheep
                  "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
                  "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
                  m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
                  leo2a6m 'the stan'
                  leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
                  leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
                  leo2a4 can.

Comment

Why does it have to be Dragon, there are other good manufacturers about.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                      Why does it have to be Dragon, there are other good manufacturers about.
                      No just was interested in giving Dragon a bit of attention.

I got the one kit, and to be honest, putting in PE, making the tanks tracks all individual links and in general providing a need to put together 7 parts when another company would require 3 doesn't automatically make a kit 'better', it just means you have more work

I won't fuuuuully know if I like Dragon until I begin work on the kit

Now I KNOW Tamiya 1/48th scale kits are a perfect 10 hehe. Built 15 of them in the last year or so, not one kit has anything wrong with it.

I also have unconditional praise for the Tamiya 1/48th scale aircraft kits.

I'd likely buy the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire if I had unlimited shelves But it is also near 200 bucks too hehe.
                      I've also coveted getting a 1/25th scale Tamiya Russian armour kit for a few years.

I've got like 1000 dollars worth of various hobby interests choices and only 70 bucks in birthday funds hehe.

Comment

Looks like an otherwise good looking T-19 HMC half track from Dragon got edged out by a Tamiya 1/48th scale Focke Wulf Fw 190 F-8/9 w/bomb loading set kit.

The track looked good and along with being a nice vehicle and not yet another tank and also having an artillery kit built in just wasn't able to defeat the fact I have no decent German fighter kits (my ugly looking Monogram Me 109 from the Battle of Britain is likely going to be a waist of paint supplies ).

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

Comment

How about this one?
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X