Egyptian IS-3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egyptian IS-3M

I've had this Trumpeter 1/35 IS-3M in my stash for some time now, purposely kept it aside until I acquired a metal barrel and Friulmodel tracks, but I really can't be bothered investing more money than what the kit is worth so I'm going to do as much oob as possible, with some scratch building here and there. I plan on completing it as a Egyptian IS-3M.
    The only building so far has been the wheels, which is nothing too exciting so I'll spare you those pics!

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Looks like a pretty sweet project AB. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.
    "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Great model, AB! And Friul models are too expensive to me too!
      Was this tank really used at the end of WW2 ?
      MY BRAILLE SCALE WORLD :
      http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...d4043e1&type=1

MY DIECAST WORLD :

http://www.minidioramas.sitew.com/#Page_1.A

Comment

Originally posted by dauga40 View Post
        Great model, AB! And Friul models are too expensive to me too!
        Was this tank really used at the end of WW2 ?
        Thanks mate, it's a nice straight forward simple kit, which means lots of fun!
        Just to clarify, the version I have is an modernized IS-3, improvements mere made in the mid fifties to the existing heavy tanks... thus being called IS-3M. There are some stories circulating that one regiment of IS-3 tanks deployed against the Japanese in Manchuria during the last moments of WW2, but we have to take this with a grain of salt and assume it never saw action.

The IS-3M in Egypt was a hard target to kill, but it suffered in the desert environment and was soon withdrawn and used for stationary defence.
        Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Thanks mate, it's a nice straight forward simple kit, which means lots of fun!
          Just to clarify, the version I have is an modernized IS-3, improvements mere made in the mid fifties to the existing heavy tanks... thus being called IS-3M. There are some stories circulating that one regiment of IS-3 tanks deployed against the Japanese in Manchuria during the last moments of WW2, but we have to take this with a grain of salt and assume it never saw action.

The IS-3M in Egypt was a hard target to kill, but it suffered in the desert environment and was soon withdrawn and used for stationary defence.
          Correct. While there is now confirmation of some early production IS-3s being deployed in the far east just before the end of the war against Japan (but we still can't be sure if they saw any action), the tank most certainly did not serve in the European war.

I'm curious about this Trumpeter kit. Could you do me a favour, AB? Could I ask you please, to make a measurement in mm of the roadwheel diameter? I would be asking you to quote to the nearest tenth (decimal point) of a mm if you can. I would like to know how the roadwheels on that kit stack up for scale accuracy, as compared with the Dragon and Tamiya IS-2s and IS-3. (The Dragon ones are quite a bit too small but the Tamiya ones are pretty near spot on.)

Cheers mate,
          panther3485
          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther3485 View Post
            Correct. While there is now confirmation of some early production IS-3s being deployed in the far east just before the end of the war against Japan (but we still can't be sure if they saw any action), the tank most certainly did not serve in the European war.

I'm curious about this Trumpeter kit. Could you do me a favour, AB? Could I ask you please, to make a measurement in mm of the roadwheel diameter? I would be asking you to quote to the nearest tenth (decimal point) of a mm if you can. I would like to know how the roadwheels on that kit stack up for scale accuracy, as compared with the Dragon and Tamiya IS-2s and IS-3. (The Dragon ones are quite a bit too small but the Tamiya ones are pretty near spot on.)

Cheers mate,
            panther3485
            G'day panther, the wheels are 11mm in diameter, there is a review on PMMS of this kit but it doesn't do into any real detail as to accuracy of scale.
            Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Done more work on the IS-3M, thought I'd scratch build a workable suspension system, bit like a torsion bar setup or simple move the suspension arms, see how well the metal bonds to the plastic first. Very easy to do, luckily the chassis already had holes on place where the arms fit, so that was one job out of the way. Next was to drill a small hole in the suspension arm, for this I used a 0.7 mm drill bit.

Next step was to cut the wire to the correct length and insert in the suspension arm, then guide the wire through the placement where the arm goes and glue down the wire. The wire you see here was just used for photo purposes.

It doesn't have to be neat, and at the end of the day this may not work at all, but I still move the suspension where I drilled the hole. If the glue bonds well to the chassis I'll glue the wire into the suspension arms aswell. That's the plan!

Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

G'day panther, the wheels are 11mm in diameter, there is a review on PMMS of this kit but it doesn't do into any real detail as to accuracy of scale.
                Thanks mate. I assume that's 11mm right on the line, i.e. 11.0?

Cheers for that.

I'll now compare with the Dragon and Tamiya kits, to see how it stacks up. If it's good, I might be tempted to purchase one and use the running gear parts to help 'accurize' one of the Dragon kits I've got. Purchasing a whole Tamiya kit for such purposes would be prohibitively expensive but the Trumpter kit is much cheaper.

I can post the results of the comparison, if you are interested.
                Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Done more work on the IS-3M, thought I'd scratch build a workable suspension system, bit like a torsion bar setup or simple move the suspension arms, see how well the metal bonds to the plastic first. Very easy to do, luckily the chassis already had holes on place where the arms fit, so that was one job out of the way. Next was to drill a small hole in the suspension arm, for this I used a 0.7 mm drill bit.

Next step was to cut the wire to the correct length and insert in the suspension arm, then guide the wire through the placement where the arm goes and glue down the wire. The wire you see here was just used for photo purposes.

It doesn't have to be neat, and at the end of the day this may not work at all, but I still move the suspension where I drilled the hole. If the glue bonds well to the chassis I'll glue the wire into the suspension arms aswell. That's the plan!

Looks good AB.

I'm guessing that you plan to have this tank in a diorama on ground that is not level, so you can move the swingarms to suitable positions to conform with the terrain?

Comment

Thanks mate. I assume that's 11mm right on the line, i.e. 11.0?

Cheers for that.
                    Correct.

I'll now compare with the Dragon and Tamiya kits, to see how it stacks up. If it's good, I might be tempted to purchase one and use the running gear parts to help 'accurize' one of the Dragon kits I've got. Purchasing a whole Tamiya kit for such purposes would be prohibitively expensive but the Trumpter kit is much cheaper.

I can post the results of the comparison, if you are interested.
                    Yes, by all means please do!
                    Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Looks good AB.

I'm guessing that you plan to have this tank in a diorama on ground that is not level, so you can move the swingarms to suitable positions to conform with the terrain?
                      Yes, the swing arms.... that's what I meant!
                      I plan on doing that, just a simple base with some terrain for it to rest on, I don't want it to look "stiff" when shown.
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

"Yes, by all means please do!"
                        OK, here are the figures but first I have to ask, are you sure the roadwheel diameter on your 1/35 Trumpeter IS-3M is 11.0mm? If so, it's way too small. Maybe you measured the return roller diameter by mistake, because 11.0mm would be about right for those?

In real life, the diameter of these roadwheels was 550mm (55cm). In 1/35 scale, that would be 15.7mm (rounded down to the nearest decimal place). I have these measurements for the following 1/35 kits:

Tamiya IS-3 - 15.7mm
                        Tamiya IS-2 - 15.1mm
                        Dragon IS-2 - 14.5mm

The Dragon IS-2 roadwheels are very noticeably undersize (or at least, they were to me but I got looks of surprise from some other modellers when I mentioned it).

Could you please check again?

Cheers mate, sorry to be a pain about this but I need to be sure.

Comment

The Trumpeter wheels are almost 16mm and are ever so slightly over scale actually. I think Garry may have misread his scale. I measured mine when I first bought it as I had owned the Dragon IS-2 with the tiny wheels. I agree. On a finished kit they definitely look too small.
                          On the Bench
                          75' M50
                          Syrian ZSU-23
                          Egyptian T-54
                          M1A1
                          Syrian SU-100
                          Magach 5
                          67' Centurion Shot
                          73' M-60

Comment

Yeah, sorry guys.... how did I get that wrong! solo84vw is correct.
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by solo84vw View Post
                              The Trumpeter wheels are almost 16mm and are ever so slightly over scale actually. I think Garry may have misread his scale. I measured mine when I first bought it as I had owned the Dragon IS-2 with the tiny wheels. I agree. On a finished kit they definitely look too small.
                              Sure do.

As for the Trumpeter wheels, if they are 15.8 or 15.9mm, I would consider that acceptable; same if they were 15.5 or 15.6. I would find an inaccuracy of up to 0.2mm either way not to be a problem for me, in 1/35 scale.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X