Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MERCURY CAPSULE REF. ....... Part 4 ((Entry Hatch) MA-9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERCURY CAPSULE REF. ....... Part 4 ((Entry Hatch) MA-9)

MA-9, ((Air Force pilot) Gordon Copper)......... Capsule 20 was the only long range capsule used by an Astronaut into space.

This new model capsule had a different style entry hatch.

See.... MweOrbHatch_Int.jpg ....... nice inter-hatch view. To bad there is not more of the capsule assembly left....... but...... we use what we can find,,,,,,,,,,,
    * Special thanks to David Weeks *, for this excellent photo......

This is the photo that my hatch is based on. Comments are well come. see photos: Late_merc_ent_ht_01.jpg & Late_merc_ent_ht_03.jpg

These are in-work photos....... but.... you should be able to see were I was going at that time......... So ...... Now you get to build your own......

Semitics Ent_hat_Maint_01.jpg & Ent_Hat_Maint_02.jpg are from the 1959 maintenance SEDR 108......... no Revisions.

Mission Sec_01.jpg...........

Next ....................... Entry Hatch Seal & the Emergency Escape Hatch.

.............. later ..................
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikec; 05 Mar 10, 23:02.

... A gun is like a parachute - If you need one and do not have one, you probably will not need one again ...

Mercury Capsule Ref........ Addition to Hatch.

The Entry Hatch, Pressure Seal, and Pressure Seal Frame

More type II hatch information update:

Note: The Entry Hatch is taped over the separation lines. (MA-9_Hts_01), After zooming in on this NASA photo, I took this clip of the photograph.

((Ent_Hat_01tx.jpg), and 03tx), SEDR 104-133.......Entry Hatch.

(MA_cap_Struc_01), Line Drawing showing the Capsule's dimensions.

(MA_Cab_Equ_01), Line Drawing of the interior of the mercury/atlas capsule.

Attached Files

... A gun is like a parachute - If you need one and do not have one, you probably will not need one again ...

Comment

Capsule Hatch Pressure Seal & Frame

There are several ways to do this, step one.... the easiest way to handle the frame is to leave it alone, paint it, and be done with it.

Unfortunately...... If you build for competition you can't get away with that. Now we get to the hard way........ Errrrrrrrrrrr..... Mompee ....... I don't want to go to work today.......

Hold the main body of the capsule in your hand. Now rotate it until you are looking into the hatch opening.... Notice... the ridge running around the inside.This will have to be removed. You can ether cut the ridge off, or cut it close and finish it off with a file. Be careful on this step of the operation. You need to keep the hatch opening square, and smooth. Take your time..... no mistakes here.

The next step is to build a new hatch frame. You will need a piece of 0.02 styrene, (I use evergreen styrene, it is white and easy to mark), and a small pencil. With the styrene laying on your work surface. Put the capsule body on top of it, with the hatch opening facing down.
      Take your pencil and mark the dimensions of the hatch opening on to your styrene. OK.. now we have the hatch opening drawn on our styrene.

It might be a good idea, at this time to make an back up of your hatch opening on a piece of paper.......... "**** happens"....... We will need these dimensions again later when we make the seal.....make a copy.

Now lets go back to the basic pattern that we have on the styrene. On the left side of the pattern measure inward an 1/4 of an inch, and make a mark. Now do this on the top of the pattern, right side, and bottom. Now we have the inter frame dimensions. Connect the points keeping your lines parallel with the outer markings. The corners of the inside line needs to be circler......... See..... merc-hatch.jpg.
      Now we will make the part of the frame that is hidden. This is also the part of the frame that you will glue to the capsule opening.
      We need to go back to the basic pattern. This time we will work from the right side. Pattern measure outward an 1/4 of an inch, and make a mark. Now do this on the top of the pattern, left side, and bottom.
      Great.............. now all we have to do is cut it out......Errrrrrr...... . Remember the bolt holes on my hatch ?
      After you have your new frame,...... ((Rem..... to keep the inter side of the frame square), ...... or it will show), Go to the center line on the left side of the frame...... measure from the center line in-ward to the inter edge. This should be roughly 1/4in, or so. Divide the 1/4in in-two.......... we have 1/8th in. This is your new line. Make a parallel line going around the frame.

This is your Ref. line for drilling the frame/hatch bolt holes. The Mercury Capsule had 94 bolts. Look at your entry hatch bolt pattern, and duplicate it on the center of your Ref. line.

I didn't like the looks of this pattern......... so I made my own. Remember... to keep your holes evenly spaced, and square with each other.

(merc-hatch)...... Mercury capsule hatch frame with out the seal, and the foil insulation.
      Note....... the aluminum channels on the top of the hatch frame..... If your a glutton for punishment... you can put in the channel beams.

(Rjd.hatchstill1) McDonnell technicians install the pressure seal on-to the hatch frame. (Rjd.hatchstill2) Close up view...... note the spacing of the seal screws.
      (MJ-000280a) Close up view...... note the spacing of the seal screws.
      ( ME_STM_CK_03ab) This is what the seal, and frame should look like...... when finished Note.... the back side of the instrument panel.
      (775px-Mercury_Spacecraft)......... Cutaway Diagram of the capsule.

Attached Files

Comment

Small Pressure Bulkhead & Escape Hatch

With the entry hatch on the capsule, (94 bolts), there are two ways to get out of the capsule. If the entry hatch is jettisoned, the capsule will fill with water and sink. Now there is one way out, the SPBEH.

The only one of the seven US Astronauts to use it was Scott Carpenter, US Navy Aviator. There is an interesting story behind the emer-hatch, I will pass it on to you.

A-OK....Having fun

....Yes he was having fun, he was having so much fun that he was 5 minutes behind his planed re-entry time, ((and capsule placement time), in relationship to the Earth). Five minutes does not sound like a lot of time.
        Aurora 7 went 250 miles down range from the capsules planed touch down point.
        NASA Said, "O"..****....... The Navy Said, "All"..****, and turned the fleet, and.... began to chase the capsule down range at flank speed...

By the time the Fleet .... and, the US Marine helicopters had come within range to reach him. Commander Carpenter was in his one-man life raft and paddling around his capsule. Scott had used the SPBEH to get out of the capsule........ well done... Navy........ ;-)

schematic of the pressure bulkhead.

(PressureBlkHead.jpg)

The Fwd Pressure Bulkhead

(Fnt_Pres_BlkHd_0a.jpg)

(Aft. Pressure Bulkhead)

D:\WORK\Blackberry_Photos\Work_merc\MA\Aft_Pres_Bl kHd_04a.jpg

This is what the SEDR's say about the Small pressure bulkhead.

(Sml_Pres_Bulk_01tx.jpg)

(Sml_Pres_Bulk_02tx.jpg)

The Emergency Escape Hatch

The hatch is located at the front of the small pressure bulkhead. In this photograph you can see the hatch fairly well.
        Note......... The equipment behind the instrument panel pedestal. See ...... Sigma%207%20fwd%20pressure%20blkhd.jpg.

Schematic of the Emergency Escape Hatch, from the SEDR's.

(Sml_Pres_Bulk_Esc_Hatch_03.jpg)

This is an in work photo of my escape hatch. By looking at this..... you should be able to get an idea of were I was going....... And Now....
        you get to build your own.......... :-)

(Emer_Exp_ht_04.jpg)

View 2

(Emer_Exp_ht_01a.jpg)

This is how the top of the hatch looks like, view from the parachute compartment..... (800px-RJD.MA5-EscHatchTop.jpg).

......................... later .....
        Attached Files

Comment

Pg.... 2

........... attachments.............
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mikec; 27 Mar 10, 02:59.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X