Encouraging our Youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encouraging our Youth

I often hear about the changing demographics in the modeling community and the need to encourage the younger generation to get involved in this exciting hobby. I have also heard that several of you are interested in helping your own kids get involved in this as well. I have a modeling class (extra curricular) at the school I work at. I have seven students who come to my house once a week. I will post some of their projects and progress here as well as some of the work my kids are doing or have done. I challenge the rest of you guys to find a young person (your own or someone else' Just make sure you get the parents approval!) build a model with them and post a pic! This can be a lot of fun, very rewarding and it can also make the difference in a young persons life!

This is my five year old Lydia and her robot (whom she named Cherry) and its horse that turns into a horse motorcycle. We had a lot of fun building this together. She cut out the pieces. It is a great way for her to review her numbers as she finds the parts on the sprues. These models use a pvc socket to link the arms and legs so they have limited movement. She is not quite strong enough to push the parts into the sockets, but she "helped" me by putting her thumb on mine. (we tried it the other way and I hurt her thumb)

Last edited by modelsinchina; 05 Mar 10, 08:54.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    John Adams, 1770

My Son is also working on this British Challenger II

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    John Adams, 1770

Comment

And a few other random projects we have worked on together.

The Great Wall, and a triceratops.

A butterfly my wife and three year old did

And a Giraffe my five year old (Lydia) did.
      John Adams, 1770

Comment

My son loves Lego.

But he's become an 'ordinary' teen ie attached to his computer hehe.

Still he likes doing things with me. Some of my not overly military models have been aimed at him. Hoping to encourage him to make a civilian format Landrover Italeri kit in 35th scale that I have decided to dispense with myself.

He's also got a gift of a P47 in 48th scale waiting for him
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

This has been a great thread to read, well done Sean, stellar job in what you are doing.
          My son built a 1/144 F-117 ages ago and did it quite well. We got him a 1/9 racing bike and he's still in the process of building it, I might try and see if he can finish it and I'll post pics.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
          Mark Twain.

Comment

I can't wait until I can help my son work on his models. He's just 7 months old so it'll be a while yet. Looking forward to it though.
            "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Yea 7 months is a bit young, my sons first kit was a wooden train we put together when he was three. Legos are a great start as well!
              John Adams, 1770

Comment

GOOD KIT challenger2

Originally posted by modelsinchina View Post
                My Son is also working on this British Challenger II

the kit builds nice till you get to the nightmare turret assembly without the hinges on side armour makes the build easier the side armour boxes ar tricky do not trust the factory glue points dry fit and use fine marker pen for alienment ie dry fit top and rear to filed clean edges and mark across both parts as they lineup.
                "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
                "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
                m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
                leo2a6m 'the stan'
                leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
                leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
                leo2a4 can.

Comment

Thanks for the great tips!
                  John Adams, 1770

Comment

Here are some pictures of my modeling class. I had eight students to come to our house.

Here are their models: Some of them have been coming for a while and some of them are just getting started.

John Adams, 1770

Comment

Here is some pictures of their work.

We often joke that this is not modeling Class, but get on you hands and knees and look for the little piece you dropped class!

But it is sweet when you do find the piece!!!

It has been refreshing to watch them help each other and work together. I kind of walk around, give advice help them snap pieces together, and when cockpit seats get put with the back down, I help them pull it off and reattach it correctly. It takes a bit of patience but all the kids were disappointed when I told them it was time to clean up. It was a great day.
                      John Adams, 1770

Comment

Incredible stuff mate, a salute to you for doing this with them.

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                        Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

Seriously cool Sean.

Always cool to see kids enjoying the hobby.

I often find the biggest hurdle is to just get a person to stop saying 'they can't do it'.
                          Life is change. Built models for decades.
                          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Very Very Cool! I like to see interest in this being passed on to the next generations

Salute indeed!

BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Had my modeling class again here last week, didn't take any pics this time, some of them got some paint on the models, had to pull a pilot off of the seat because his head was in the seat part. The gal said, this is good glue! and when I turned it around she said, "Hey it's a seat!"
                              John Adams, 1770

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X