Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Dragon kit 1/35 39-45 series Flakpanzer 1 (smart premium)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dragon kit 1/35 39-45 series Flakpanzer 1 (smart premium)

Well 57 bucks on sale for 48 is very convincing

I have wanted to get an experience of a Dragon kit (I don't consider that early release when the company was new much of a basis, I had a Shilka).

So I picked this one up today. Price was right.
    Didn't hurt I had the cash (rare).

And it's nice I have nothing closely like it.
    Didn't want yet another Tiger, Panzer III or IV chassised vehicle. And I do NOT want any more Sherman anything hehe. And of course I HAVE of course been going to 48th scale, so if I was getting something in 35th scale, it better be interesting.

But this item looks nice, and the vehicle is not something that has been done to death.

Alas, I had this dumb idea, and now have to deal with it
    Told the wife she could keep it for my birthday end of March.
    What was I thinking? was I nuts
    Now I can't open it for a month hehe.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

That's a nice looking kit LB.
    BoRG
    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

You will like the new model

If you like armor models you will not be displeased.

Dragon has come a long way as far as there new kits. The smart kits are there top of the line, and they have special feathers that you will not find on there regular models......

I have been building for more years than I like to count. I feel that right now over all, Dragon is the top of the line. Second would have to be Trumpeter. At one time I would not buy anything other than Tamyia..... but they have lost the edge.
      The Chinese seem to be taking the model market from Japan. This is fine with me....... I do not care who makes the models, as long as they make a quality product.

Back to Dragon...... When buying a new Dragon model. If you have the choice to buy one of there regular kits or one of there Smart kits, or there Cyber kits, money available, get the Smart kit or the Cyber kit. You will not be sorry.

One of the projects that I am working on....... is one of Dragons Panzerkalfwagen V Panther Smart Kits. It will have an interior in the turret and the chaise. I could not believe that the model among other things comes with the inter torsion bar suspension on the inside of the chaise This is totally unreal....

A word about saving money....... Find a good hobby shop on the internet and you can save some money. If you are interested, I can recommend a few sites that I use on a regular basices.......

... A gun is like a parachute - If you need one and do not have one, you probably will not need one again ...

Comment

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the taste.

Looking at the box, this kit has a lot of small detail work, some incorporated PE and in general looks hard to beat. Price tag matters as well, and it's likely worthy at full price too.

But I am not willing to put Tamiya in 3rd place just yet

This kit will need more than 'a lot of small parts' to beat Tamiya hehe. And the PE is nice, but PE is not always perfection. I once though cast resin was the thing, but in retrospect, it was often just very hard stuff nearly impossible to work with, very brittle, and finely detailed.
        When you've had to spend an entire hour with a heavy duty Makita belt sander just so you could remove the excess plug from a Sherman turret conversion, then you get to grasp how thrilling cast resin is hehe.

Tamiya's current 1/48th scale series is my current yard stick for 2010 performance expectations. The kit parts need in most cases zero clean up aside from removing the spur from where it was attached to the sprue. The part fit is alarmingly easy to get. They incorporate a cast metal hull component on most of their vehicles which imparts nice weight and does tend to make the assembly very good. And I have yet to ever need to do a single thing to a single one of these cast pieces. The castings are flawless. And that's after 15 examples.

I'm going to see that Dragon earns their pole position
        The parts will be required to fit better than just good. I will require excellent at the minimum. I will permit almost zero flash and I am expecting next to no seam lines. Instructions will be required to be more than just concise, I will demand they be entirely well drawn and well organized.

My older Tamiya kits are not the equal of the new ones of course.
        Although in some cases, even some of their old ones are still industry standard.

Occasionally I see some steps in a model are not the full measure. A 1980's Tamiya Sherman is not the equal of a 1980s Italeri Sherman. And I think that same Italeri Sherman is a tough act to follow even now.

I will be comparing my new Pz 1 basis kit against an Italeri Pz 1 though. I've always really liked the way Italeri did chassis work.

Comment

Feel free to recommend locations mikec

Any business that has earned a good word, should get good exposure.

And I think Armchair General is a fairly high quality site, so giving them exposure here can't hurt.

Comment

Proof...... or was it puding....... Errrrr

Hello Lesile,

I do not build any armor smaller than 1/35 scale. Al through I do build space projects in quarter scale.

As far as Dragon & Tamyia It really does not matter to me whose models that you buy............ I was only trying to help you. I know.... Who
            is the top of the line. I have been building models for competition, and fun for over forty years. Yes........ I am that old......

Any way..... what did you think of my rivet sugestion...... ?

Take Care,
            mikec.........

... A gun is like a parachute - If you need one and do not have one, you probably will not need one again ...

Comment

I am a big fan or Great Models Webstore myself. Never have been disappointed. They clearly tell you when something is in stock or not, and have it posted right next to the item description when the last time they had that particular item in. So, the farther back the date, most likely it is out of production and so on.
              Another good one that I have used is Michigan Discount Models. Although the site isn't set up as nice as Great Models, they have excellent prices and the shipping was very timely.
              "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Don't know if your interested or not but this looks like a nice PE set

http://cgi.ebay.com/LionRoar-1-35-WW...QQcmdZViewItem
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                John Adams, 1770

Comment

That is a sweet price for a full blown Lion Roar PE update set.
                  "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Pe

Yes,

Lion Roar, and Griffent....... is making some nice add on PE sets.

....... Keep it coming Guys.......

Comment

Originally posted by modelsinchina View Post
                      Don't know if your interested or not but this looks like a nice PE set

http://cgi.ebay.com/LionRoar-1-35-WW...QQcmdZViewItem
                      That's not a bad price, certainly plenty of detail for those who want it. I've bought a few products from LionsRoar and have been pleased with them.
                      If I had this kit I'm not sure I'd use all the PE, sometimes I have just used half of what's on the PE frets because I'm happy with using the plastic molds.
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Flackpanzer T-34

My brother has this kit and it is nice.
                        He also has the Griffin 20mm barrels, and the pe update set for the quad 20mm gun. It looks great.... The 20mm magazines and ammunition boxes look great....... not counting the 20mm rounds and brass......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X