Book Discussion- Von Clausewitz's On War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Discussion- Von Clausewitz's On War

Once again I have but haven't read it. My dad is going through it now, says he is like Tolkien compared to Sun Tzu.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

I joined the Military Book Club way back in 1988, just after moving to Ft. Bragg. On War was the very first book I got from them, and I read it nonstop, at age 18, that winter.

At the time, I was not a professionally trained military historian, just an armchair general who loved military history. I read the book mainly with a martial artists mindset. Combat to me then was more real in a one-on-one basis. I like to think I understood the book well, even then.

I've read many excerpts since then, since becoming a military historian, and since I have been to war. I have been saying that I should read it again, just to see how I come to understand it now.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I finished Paret's translation a couple a months ago. I liked it but Bernard Brodie's summaries of the chapters at the end of the book really helped me to understand some of the more obscure passages.

"On War" wasn't a easy read but I found it very interesting and rewarding.
      "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X