K98k Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K98k Bayonet

Today I purchased a German Wehramacht K98k, can someone give me some info on this bayonet? The handle is wood and the frog is leather and the sheath appers to be bakelite??

The bayonet does not match the frog or sheath!!

Thanks any information is helpful

CURRAHEE
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

is the frog black leather?

The sheath my dad has is metal... THe bayonet has a metal handle.

But your bayonet could be an early production, maybe someone goofed and put a straight 98 bayonet.. They had to shorten the bayonet with the rifle.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Hey Pete:

Bakelite is the plastic like material that the Germans used to make some bayonet grips out of.

there will be a 4 or lower digit number on the blae as well as the scabbard - that is the serial number. a lof times there is a small letter nearby (eg: 4295 e) it is all part o the numbering system - after a production run hit 9999 they would put a letter there to indicate 10,000. in my example about 4295 e -- where e is the 5th letter of the alphabet, that would actually be bayonet 54,295.

I believe it went so far as double lettering.

Pre-war bayonets would have a code on them to indicate the make -something like S423 ( I think the numerical part was a 3 digit number) --- the Germans stopped this about 1938 - where they began just engraving the naker's name onto the bayonet itself.

I need to take osme photos of mine - but don't have the time right now -- there are little matkings called 'Waffenamts' -that you will find on the bayonet and scabbard at differing places... on the blade and pommel as well.

Comment

OK my bayonet has a bakelit handle. on one side near the pommel it has the numbers 4145 with a "t" underneath. On the other side near the pommel, the Maker is "Carl Eickhorn"
        The frog is stamped on the back is "Conr Heucken Co, 1919, Aachen"
        The Sheath is metal as are the fixtures and it very well fits my Mauser 98K!!! I also have a Japanese Bayonet for the Ariska Type 99?? I think its is. It is the long rifle and when the Bayonet is attached, it is a very formidible looking weapon!!! I can just picture a Short Japanese soldier armed with this very long Musket!!!
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

BB - your German bayonet should also have a 2 digit number probably on the flat edge of the bayonet - right above the guard -- it would be the year of manufacture (yeh I know I owe a lot of people some fotos for different things... :sleep:

Comment

Originally posted by *********
            BB - your German bayonet should also have a 2 digit number probably on the flat edge of the bayonet - right above the guard -- it would be the year of manufacture (yeh I know I owe a lot of people some fotos for different things... :sleep:
            Yeah 38-1938

Comment

Here is a pic of my German Bayonet, I'll have more pictures when I get them downloaded!!

http://groups.msn.com/FREEImageHosti...to&PhotoID=293

Thanks enjoy

please give me input and suggestion if you see they are needed!!!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
              Peter Williams

Comment

Wooden handle interesting. Ours is bakelite. I'll get a pic soon.

Comment

The Germans made them both ways - as far as I know - all throughout the war -- I have bayonets with prewar dates, and 39-44 ... bakelite and wood grips -- interesting to see how the steel used - went downhill as the war went on.

got some photos - will have to resize them and post them somewheres.

Comment

My Bayonet is dated 1937, If you look carefully in the photo you can see it!!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
                    :thumb:
                    Peter Williams

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X