X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janos
    replied
    Originally posted by Overseer
    If you're painting light colored things, go with white primer, dark colored, go with black primer. You might be surprised how much of a different effect you can get depending on the primer you use. It all just depends on the final colors you're using though.
    I've never used black...may give it a try. I've always used white to make the colors more brilliant.

JS

Leave a comment:

• Overseer
    replied
    If you're painting light colored things, go with white primer, dark colored, go with black primer. You might be surprised how much of a different effect you can get depending on the primer you use. It all just depends on the final colors you're using though.

Leave a comment:

• jguritza
    replied
    It is always important to wash the miniatures because of the release agents they spray into the molds. If you do not wash it off the paint does not stick as well. If you use a mild dish soap and water it's great. Again like the others have said you j\have to rinse with a lot of water. Soap and paint do not play together well either.

For priming I use flat black or just blavk primer. This works great for most troops. Some people swear by white primer but I do not because if you don't cover all the primer in some figures the white shows through. If it is black it just looks like a shadow.

Grey primer on ships and planes work extremely well as was also suggested...

Leave a comment:

• moondog
    replied
    When I was into painting miniatures....

I used to wash mine with detergent....use a liquid, not a powder....I used a powder the first time and it took me forever to get them rinsed off and get all the crap off. (rinse them well).

I have used many different primers......when I did Navy miniatures, I used a gray primer....and ended up not painting anything on them later except the decking and some odds and ends. When I did Napoleonic and American Civil War, I used white as my primer as it helps to bring out the other colors that I used to paint them.

********* gave some good advice as well.....I guess some of the advice we gave would depend on WHAT miniatures you're going to paint.

dog

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't know if it is necessary or not - but I know that I always did it... I usually went with whatever I found at the hobbystores .. and seem to remember Flo-quil as a brand name -- usually used white -and through a couple of experiences - spray lightly - and don't worry if you missed a few spots --- wait until it dries -and keep your hand moving at all times -- stalling creates pools - pools are a bad thing - especially on a ship with pin prick sized portholes.

Leave a comment:

• Gus
    started a topic On painting miniatures - some questions

On painting miniatures - some questions

In prep for painting, are lead castings better washed in detergent or mineral spirits?

Is it necessary to put a primer coat on lead soldiers before painting? I mean just for display purposes - they won't be handled again like wargame pieces. If so, what's a good primer?

Thanks, anybody

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X