Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books are you reading?

I'm presently reading John Keegan's First World War. On deck:

The Gothic Line: Canada's month of hell in Italy by Mark Zuehlke.
    The longest day by Cornelius Ryan
    Ortona: Canada's Epic World War II Battle by Mark Zuehlke

Would look for suggestions on the following topics:

ACW The whole campaign kind of a book
    Vietnam also the campaign
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

BTW in the May issue of the magazine, on the rear cover, there is the offer of a book called The D-Day Companion at $29.95USD. For the benefit of Canadians, that book will be available at Amazon.ca and will retail for $27.91 CDN!! It's in my wish list.

Comment

3 books at a time most of the time!

I am currently reading

"The Mote in God's Eye" by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven

"Dien Bien Phu" by John Keegan...part of the Ballantine Books Series Battle Book #33

"Uniforms of World War II" by Peter Darman

One is in my van, one is in the bathroom, and one is on my desk.

dog

Comment

An excellent trilogy on the ACW is available by Shelby Foote.
        The set runs around $70. but is well worth it.

Also Robertson's book "Stonewall Jackson" is a must read.
        It deals with Jackson's life and military career up until his death in May 1863.

Mark
        Deo Vindice
        Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Re: What books are you reading?

Originally posted by dannybou

The Gothic Line: Canada's month of hell in Italy by Mark Zuehlke.
          Ortona: Canada's Epic World War II Battle by Mark Zuehlke

These two are next on the shopping list along with their partner "The Liri Valley".

Currently, I'm reading "Fields of Fire: The Canadians in Normandy" by Terry Copp and "An Army at Dawn" by Rick Atkinson.
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Same here. Liri Valley is in the wish list (Hope my wife reads this as fathers day is coming)

I'll check out Fields of Fire. Haven't seen it but have heard of it.

last_cav thanks for the tip. I'll look for that trilogy.

Comment

Airborne: A Combat History of American Airborne Forces by Lt. Gen. Edward M Flanagan Jr., USA (Ret.)

The Warren Report by the Associated Press

The Talismans of Shannara by Terry Brooks
              Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Currahee - with the other 3 books by that author in line for nexts --- a really gret read so far, if you are into the 101st AB Div.

Another interesting read ( that I confess that I did not finish...) is Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in WWII.

Told by a buy assigned to the maintence unit (forget the Division)... but basically it starts in the Normandy campaign.

-get most of my WWII paperbacks at Walmart now -- they are one of the (now) few discount chains that will actually have the odd WWII paperback anymore.

Comment

I'm thoroughly enjoying "Grenadiers" by Kurt Meyer and have "Grandfather's Tale: The Tale of a German Sniper" by Timothy Erenberger on deck.

The guilty pleasure book? Book 5 of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.
                  2nd Lt Mephisto, OIC S-2 Security, 5th Armchair General Battalion

Currently Playing:
                  CMBO 3MiF Tournament vs NiG
                  CMAK QB vs IronMikeUSMC
                  ASL S1 vs IronMike USMC

Comment

Re: 3 books at a time most of the time!

Originally posted by moondog
                    I am currently reading

"The Mote in God's Eye" by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven

"Dien Bien Phu" by John Keegan...part of the Ballantine Books Series Battle Book #33

"Uniforms of World War II" by Peter Darman

One is in my van, one is in the bathroom, and one is on my desk.

dog
                    re "Dien Bien Phu", if you can get your hands on ''Hell in a Very Small Place'' by Bernard Fall its well worth reading.

He was a French journalist and a legend on Vietnam. Killed there 1966 after stepping on a land mine.
                    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Hell in a Very Small Place

Wolfe Tone,
                      Thanks for the reference....I will look into that one.

dog

Comment

I'm kinda stuck in magazine-world at the moment and haven't been able to get back to my Turtledove, Brown, Clancy, Coyle, and Coonts. During lunch, I'm reading, but when I get home I have a choice between the computer and the books and the computer usually wins.
                        If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I just started to read...

..."The Darkest Days of the War" by Peter Cozzens. It is about the battles of Iuka and Corinth, in late September and early October of 1862. It will be the topic of our CWRT discussion group in 4/17.
                          I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Originally posted by *********
                            Currahee - with the other 3 books by that author in line for nexts --- a really gret read so far, if you are into the 101st AB Div.

Another interesting read ( that I confess that I did not finish...) is Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in WWII.

Told by a buy assigned to the maintence unit (forget the Division)... but basically it starts in the Normandy campaign.

-get most of my WWII paperbacks at Walmart now -- they are one of the (now) few discount chains that will actually have the odd WWII paperback anymore.
                            I keep meaning to get "Death Traps" its written Bertran Cooper (I think I got the name right). He's been on numerous History Channel shows that deal with WW II armor. If he writes the way he speaks it should be very interesting. He was in charge of recovery/repair of shot up allied tanks at Normandy.
                            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                              BTW in the May issue of the magazine, on the rear cover, there is the offer of a book called The D-Day Companion at $29.95USD. For the benefit of Canadians, that book will be available at Amazon.ca and will retail for $27.91 CDN!! It's in my wish list.
                              I just got the lastest issue of "Military Heritage" and it has excerps from the book you mention. Based on what I read there I would recommend it highly. It uses first person accounts to tell the story from the mouths of those who witnessed it.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X