Prices and brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prices and brands

Hi. Have gotten back to modelling after many years off. I like armor the most and when I was a kid Tamiya was the best stuff. Now I'm seeing that if price is a reflection, there are better brands. I'm unfortunately at a point where I don't want to spend a lot on models. The fun is in the build and occasionally I might spring for higher dollars for an important tank or plane but most of them I'd like to keep cheap. I see models for between $10 and $20 and up to $30, this works for me.

Can you all tell me what dictates the price? Why do I see the same model or similar, same brand (different model number), for much different prices? What changes? What is the difference between a $25 model and a $65 one of the same tank? Difference from brand to brand? Are there obvious places to shop for cheap beside amazon and ebay? Lastly, years ago I picked up a Tamiya Leopard 2A5 for a good price. Where are shows advertised (yes I know the internet must have something to do with it but help would be gladly received.)

Thanks for your help.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Originally posted by JBark View Post
    Can you all tell me what dictates the price? Why do I see the same model or similar, same brand (different model number), for much different prices? What changes? What is the difference between a $25 model and a $65 one of the same tank?
    Different scale?

Can't really help much but I've just bought my first model kit in decades. A rush of blood when visiting the de Havilland museum and I found myself going home with a 1/48th scale DH4 biplane. There are lots and lots of pieces some of them very, very small. 32 from a firm called Roden who are from the Ukraine. I don't know if that's a lot or not, or if its a highly regarded firm but the kit and instructions look pretty good to me.
    How long do you take to finish a model? I figure the DH4 is going to take me months.
    And so far the glue, primer, paints and tools I've had to buy have cost more than the kit.

Comment

Tamiya has always a personal favourite for me, all the pieces fit together nicely and the plastic feel quite durable. Dragon is good, but expect everything including the kitchen sink with extras and minor variant choices that come with the kit. Both of these can be comparably priced, Dragon slightly more expensive in some cases. One thing I liked with Dragon, the extras you don't use can be used in conjunction with other kits or diorama settings.
      Meng do good kits IIRC.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X