Military Modelling Magazine...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Richter
    started a topic Military Modelling Magazine...

Military Modelling Magazine...

Both MM magazine and forum have left us forever...
    another part of our childhood rides off into the setting sun.

Last edited by Von Richter; 26 May 18, 01:12.

• Von Richter
    replied
    Yep, mid seventies to mid eighties. I'll take some piccies when I get back to civilisation, saw a biman wearing one very similar the other day, that prompted me to have a dig and see if I'd still got mine!
    Stuck in deepest Cleethorpes at the moment for the Armed Forces Weekend event.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Well, perhaps it was the transition model from Denison style to the new (then) DPM style smock, (Were you serving in the mid-late 70's?) which had press-studs, and which would make it a pretty rare piece of kit.

As I said above, I knew some blokes who used the Dutch type. which had press studded beaver-tail too,

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    Unless they bunged our lads cheap Dutch knock offs (which I wouldn't put past the bastards!) it's British... I wore it in the days I spent running about wiv grass in mi' 'at and toting an SLR!

Tried it on for old times sake... sadly, it's shrunk!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Any chance of a picture? Perhaps it's a Dutch DPM smock.. I knew one or two Brits who used them. Some even had waterproof detachable, inner liners, again attached with press studs.

Look at the 13 digit NSN (NATO Stock Number) number on its label. If shows a number like:e.g: 'NSN 1234-99-567-8901' It's British. If it shows 'NSN 1234-17-567-8901'. then it's Dutch. Suffix '99' shows it as British stock. '17' shows it as Dutch stock.
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 07 Jun 18, 21:47.

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    I found an old Paratrooper Smock in the loft clear out the other day. Just like a DPM combat jacket only with press studs instead of buttons, and the monkey tail fastens on the outside instead of the inner... always wondered why that was?

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    I looked like the bloke with the SLR once!....But then after a break, I decided to become a gunner..... I loved my crap-hat...I still had it (along with other kit and uniforms) in 2006, but then it all went after my divorce and all (As I'm sure most of us are) I'm left with are medals, Beret and racing spoon.

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    This is the cover I was thinking of. I've searched for a print to frame of this illustration for since 1983!

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Yup! He was excellent with his figure, equipment and clothing skills, did lots of front cover and Osprey work He wasn't as good with vehicles though.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    Then there was the articles illustrated by Kevin Lyles.

I always enjoyed those...

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    I posted that picture! It was the front cover. I had to get rid of the title heading and border.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    Yep, and how just one Rick Scollins Illustration could keep you on one for a month!

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    If anyone would care to offer a date (Month/Year) between Jan 1974 and Dec 98 , I will post the contents that will show just how diverse the magazine was.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    The model shops in Britain died mainly because of Internet ordering but I think they lasted much longer than in the US In my travels there in the 90s finding a decent one proved increasingly difficult

Shame about MM I still have some bound collections from the 70s including the ones that did a very good for the time series of items on Hobarts Funnies. I used to enjoy the earlier editions and they even once published an article of mine - possibly an early sign of the rot setting in .

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    Yep MM, it's a rare treat these days to find a proper model shop on yer travels. I used to love browsing in them, and gleaning a long hunted for kit, a bit of childlike magic that the internet has taken away for ever.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X