War Comics, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Comics, anyone?

When I was a kid, I was a big comic book fan, but the war comics were the most interesting to me. Sgt. Rock. Sgt Fury. Fightin' Army. You know the ones. Every once in a while I go to the local comic shop and buy a bunch of back issues for a $, or so apiece, just for nostalgia's sake, not really for a collector's investment type of thing. Comics really inspired me to pursue drawing/ illustrating, and of course, military action was always a favorite theme. Modelling is a hobby too. I love to watch that show, `The Thunderbirds'. Nuttin' but animated models. Fascinating. GhostSoldier.
    Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

WOW did your post bring back a flooed of memories of sitting with a stack of war comics on a Sunday afternoon and reading all afternoon long. ny favorite one was sgt rock but there was another that i think was called "The Haunted Tank??" the ghost of Jeb Stuart would show up when they were in a pinch and guide them. Do i have the name right? if you ever see any of those i'll certainly buy them from you!
    Publisher
    Armchair General Magazine
    Weider History Group

Comment

"Haunted Tank" was great as a kid, but as I got older I realized that the tank they were tooling around in was a Stuart light tank(there is your connection to the CW General's ghost). I mean, just the idea of a Stuart taking on and beating a King Tiger tank borders on insanity, which they did in about every issue. Still, it was fun. The best comic , however, was DC's "Blackhawk". The stories about a group of Nazi fighting multinational mercenaries flying around in prototype Skyrockets were great. The later stories took the unit's tale right through the Cold War. "The Unknown Soldier" was interesting too, sort of a mummy looking guy doing OSS type missions.

Comment

Comics.

Yes,yes. The Haunted Tank was the main story in a comic called G.I. Combat, published by DC. Go to any comic shop, you can find back issues in very good condition, dirt cheap. I mean dirt cheap. Of course, war comics were sensationalized. Some were more tolerable than others, but the premise was real. Real men in real action. I mean if you possessed superhuman powers, and decided to fight crime, would you dress in tights, like some gymnast or ballet dancer?!? But all in all war comics conveyed many truths. The tragedies of war. The horrors of battle. The testing of one's mettle. Duty. Honor. Courage. Fighting the good fight. Brotherhood in the midst of battle. GhostSoldier.
        Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

I always liked DC's Weird War Tales, I enjoyed Marvel's The Nam series.
          It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Comment

My favorite, "The Losers".
            A band of military misfits from all the services brought together and given another chance to prove themselves in the cauldron of war.
            Another Fav was "Weird War". Both were DC comics.
            Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to
            a Life of Warfare...

Comment

Military Comics

Take a look at New England Comics. NEC is an independent comics company that publishes black and white war comics all based upon actual WWII battles. The art work leaves some to be desired but the stories are fairly historically accurate.

Comment

The Losers

I remember that one, Scout. I couldn't get enough of it. Amazing, the things you can remember from so long ago. Wish I still had those.
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Back when I was a kid,DC comics had the only war comics really.
                  so you had to ignore a lot of crap like Germans wearing purple uniforms and bad accents that make Otto Primiger look like a decent actor. SGT Rock was always my favourite followed by G.I. combat,which had the haunted tank in it. When the 80's rolled around,there was a number of Vietnam era books around like Marvel's the Nam but lesser known titles such as Vietnam Journal and High shining brass. Both of these were put out by a small company called Apple comics are are worth looking for.
                  Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

comics

Savage Tales: Only a few were printed/published, but they had great artwork and stories about Vietnam, etc.

Mark
                    Deo Vindice
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

How odd,I was just thinking about those just the other day!
                      They had a regular series on air cav called "first of the sixth" or something like that.
                      Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

comics

I have issues 1-7 of Savage Tales.........I think they quit printing it.
                        I loved Sgt. Rock and the Haunted Tank when I was a kid too.
                        I was a huge fan of the Conan the Barbarian mags.
                        Also liked Jonah Hex..........anyone remember him?
                        There was also a comic about the classic "movie monsters" who were fighting for the allies in WWII. Cant remember the name.
                        I bought the first issue of GI Joe when it came out, just to keep for my son. It should be worth something some day.
                        I also bought a trading card of TJ Jackson from ebay. They have had several sets of trading cards for every conflict around.
                        The cards I have are Topps.......ca. 1960.

I also have a WWII era comic called "Mules 'n Mud" that was either my dads or uncles. Its in pristine condition. It has some of the classic "editorial" type cartoons in it.

Mark
                        Deo Vindice

Comment

Jonah Hex...There was also a run where he was thrown into a apocolyptic future.

"The creature commandos" was the one that had the monsters in it.

Who's TJ Jackson?
                          Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

Oh,Stonewall Jackson,right?
                            (colour me embarassed)
                            Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

s'okay

Few people call him anything except "Stonewall".

Mark
                              Deo Vindice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X