Imagine This happening To You, LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine This happening To You, LOL

10 years ago, the only hobby shop for 3 hours in any direction closes up shop for good.

Fast forward 10 years to today. My old lady and I were driving home from grocery shooping and we stop in at a large convinience store which we drive by all the time, but never stop in, to get some cash out of the ATM. The front of the place is all parked full so we drive around back. And what do i see in front of me but a place called "Gene's Trains and Hobbies"! Whoa, whats this place i say. Intriged i wonder in thinking they probably only sell train stuff. To my wonderment and utter suprise, they have a whole row full of WWII armor! Italerie, Dragon, Tamiya, including the whole new line of 1/48th scale stuff and several other makers as well. I almost fainted. I went up and talked to the owner and he told me he has been open for 4 YEARS! I almost cried. I told him i had no idea he was there and he siad yeah, we get that alot from people who find us for the first time. His store cant be seen from the road at all. But at least i finally found the place lol. Now i have a local shop to support again. His prices are pretty good as well. I already have my eyes on about 5 or 6 kits, hehe.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Progress comes to the hills. Darn Kent, pretty soon they'll get that pipeline finished and you'll even get sunshine. We got that year before last and it is an in provement. Some of this new fangled stuff an't so bad.

Your lucky to find a shope that sells what you want and need. Here I sit middle in der Vaterland and still havn't found a Hobby shop that supports AFV. It's as if WWII left a bad impression on the locals. Cars/planes/trucks and thousands of trains but ATV from WWII are as rare as the Porche in my driveway. Hope the guy is around to keep you happy for years.

HP
    J
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Great find. I wish that I could find a store like that for it sure beats internet ordering by far when you get to physically squeze the boxes n' open them in a store.
      The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
      ----
      We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Hmm now you know why I don't mind having to walk where I walk when I am going around town

I get to see all the nooks and crannies.

Cars are good for speed, but they don't let you see much. As you have discovered.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

and here I am stuck with the big box stores..Hobby Lobby....good luck kent happy hunting..
          The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
          Dwight D. Eisenhower
          April 16, 1953

Comment

Excellent news Kent. Happy shopping. Give the guy my regards too huh? I support a local guy here as well. The Net is killing 'em.
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

I have about the same problem. I had a great store about a 15 minute drive from my house. It just closed over the summer and now the closest place is about 45 minutes away. Then next closest place is a little over an hour away.
              Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
              If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

This guys place is about 35 min away, which isnt bad considering that im out in the sticks. Im lucky to have a shop thats close again. But 90% of his place is all about trains. Altoona Pa. used to be the #1 city in America for Trains, so thats to be expected i guess.

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

There was a pretty good shop about five minutes from where I last worked. for those who don't know, I'm a stay at home Dad now. I had some stuff on order through this guy. I'd paid a deposit and had been waiting six months for some Verlinden items. When my son was born, I quit work. One day, I happened to be driving past the shop and I saw it was empty. I live about an hour from the old shop. I was pretty annoyed that the guy had shut up shop without contacting me or returning my deposit. I really wanted my order as well. About a month later, my partner arrived home from work and she told me that there was a new hobby shop just opened about 15 minutes from our home and that I should go and check it out since my regular guy had just shafted me and left town. So I did. As I walked in, a voice said 'G'day Nick, your stuff should be here next week'. The new shop is bigger, better and closer. The modelling Gods smiled on me.
                  The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

You've got a good Gal there Nick, telling you about the new shop and all. I love mine more than anything but I swear she was the one that tore the whole 'H' section out of the phone book yellow pages when we were first married.
                    http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Couldnt take it anymore.

I went and bought some new kits already.

Started a new thread about them -

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...720#post801720

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by razorboy View Post
                        You've got a good Gal there Nick, telling you about the new shop and all. I love mine more than anything but I swear she was the one that tore the whole 'H' section out of the phone book yellow pages when we were first married.
                        Damn right I do. She's the first woman I've ever had anything to do with to be encouraging and understanding of the solitary things I do. She even pushed me into joining the local modelling club AND she often asks to see what I've been doing. I know she isn't really that interested and I know she doesn't know a good model from a mediocre one but I love that she fakes it. Let's hope that's all she's faking.
                        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                          Damn right I do. She's the first woman I've ever had anything to do with to be encouraging and understanding of the solitary things I do. She even pushed me into joining the local modelling club AND she often asks to see what I've been doing. I know she isn't really that interested and I know she doesn't know a good model from a mediocre one but I love that she fakes it. Let's hope that's all she's faking.
                          Good for you my friend. Being lucky enough to find that special someone is a wonderful thing. Im blessed that way myself. Most peoples fiance's wouldnt understand that my online friends mean just as much to me as my ones at home do, but she does. She understands that i need my posting time each day and has no problem with it. In fact we have met up with some of my online clanmates in person and had some great times. Shes a sweetheart and ill never let her go.

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X