Colors For Shermans in British Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colors For Shermans in British Service

Does anybody know if the Shermans the British used in the Desert were always painted an OD/Sand camo pattern or were some solid sand? Photo's would help, if anybody has some or can direct me to a site that does.
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Allied armour not my forte but I'm interested to know if you need British specifically or just Allied. I have a sneaking suspicion about black on sand in the 'mickey mouse' scheme used by Canadians and New Zealanders. I'm sure somebody here will know. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Peace.
    The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
    Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Here's a link you might wanna visit. Good luck http://www.mafva.org.uk/Resources.asp
      When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
      Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I'm currently working on a 1/35 M4A1 Sherman (early version). I am painting it in British desert colors. I know that some perhaps most of them were painted two tone, sand/OD, but I believe I've seen photo's sometime in the past of solid sand colored Shermans as well. I'm just trying to verify that some of the tanks were just sand colored. I have enough multicolored British vehicles in the collection.

Comment

I'd go with the Mickey mouse pattern on a British desert Sherman as the British used that colour scheme on their Shermans.
          The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
          ----
          We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Thanks all, I think I will go with the camo scheme.

Comment

hi dallas the old osprey book shermans in allied service is a good one to get hold of for this too ..
              owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
              (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

If it was European Theater I'd go with a Khaki Drab base coat with whatever you want to put over it. For a desert scheme I'd go with a pinkish tan base, then whatever you want over that.
                Last edited by razorboy; 16 Nov 07, 17:51. Reason: content
                http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

You can use black in place of the OD as well with the Mickey Mouse pattern.
                  The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Found this that could be of interest, camo' scheme of a Sherman Mk. III in the 9th British Armoured Brigade from 1943 in Syria.

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X