WW2 in Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 in Color

Found these a while back, don't think they've been "Colorized", believe them to be actual color. put010.jpg

put013.jpg

put012.jpg

put034.jpg

put035.jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

A few months back we were trying to date and locate the put012 picture. I guessed Russia in 41'.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I agree FS. I believe (don't know for sure) that the 37mm photos are pics of troops in Army Group South - 1941. I've seen a lot of B&W photos taken in Tarponol of the 3rd SS that are very similar in appearance - vegetation, architecture etc..
      Last edited by razorboy; 03 Nov 07, 20:54. Reason: content

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

As i recall the general consensus was that the 37mm pic was staged and notan actual action photo
        The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
        Dwight D. Eisenhower
        April 16, 1953

Comment

I'm sure it was staged to some degree or another, the PK guy came along and they went "Into Action". Guys have been looking as combat-like as they could for photographers since the CW and that hasn't changed.

Comment

I've heard that put013.jpg also was staged and I've seen it used on a postcard.
            The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
            ----
            We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
              I've heard that put013.jpg also was staged and I've seen it used on a postcard.
              Posed might be a better word . The muzzle cap is on, the sight is covered and the gunners chair is empty.

Comment

Posed or not, they're a glorious set of images. I also doubt that they have been 'colourized', but are geniune colour pictures from the period. We had a series on television here some years ago that I'm sure you will be familiar with. 'The Colour of War'. I'm not sure how many series they made, perhaps around three. It was all colour footage from WW2 both Axis and Allied. What amazed me was the amount of footage they had that was in colour. My favourite little part was film taken by a P-47 pilot. As an aircraft modeller it was invaluable.
                Thanks Razor.
                The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Here's a few more.

razorboy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very cool. Thanks. BTW, who's that dude with the duelling scar?
                    The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                    Sideshow Bob.

Comment

I'm putting together a collection of WW2 color photos that I'll post here once I get them uploaded. I also have a good amount of WW2 and WW1 B&W photos, and some color from WW1 if anyone is interested.
                      Last edited by Freightshaker; 04 Nov 07, 19:24.

Comment

The guy with the fencing scar is Otto Skorzeny "Commando Extraordinaire", he's the guy who plucked Mussolini from the Gran Sasso for Der Fuhrer. Also coordinated the Germans in American Uniforms deal during the Ardennes Offensive. His Auto-Biography is outstanding! He was what I refer to as the SS version of 007...... Dude was a player!!!!!
                        Last edited by razorboy; 04 Nov 07, 19:28. Reason: content

Comment

http://rapidshare.com/files/67519589...ures.part1.rar
                          http://rapidshare.com/files/67522591...ures.part2.rar

There's over 1,500 color pictures to take a look at.

Comment

Originally posted by razorboy View Post
                            The guy with the fencing scar is Otto Skorzeny "Commando Extraordinaire", he's the guy who plucked Mussolini from the Gran Sasso for Der Fuhrer. Also coordinated the Germans in American Uniforms deal during the Ardennes Offensive. His Auto-Biography is outstanding! He was what I refer to as the SS version of 007...... Dude was a player!!!!!
                            Thought he looked familiar. Cheers.
                            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

BB45 - USS Colorado, November 1943

After cage mast has been cut down & converted to ack ack.

BB62 - USS New Jersey, 1944-45

'Black Dragon'

KMS Prinz Eugen

Last edited by Admiral; 06 Nov 07, 00:00.
                              On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X