Willy's 4x4 JEEP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy's 4x4 JEEP

This is my second modell and it was a little gem to build. I didn't weather it as I at the time had some loose plans 'bout using it in a diorama. It's my first ever figure in 1:35 and as you clearly can see it's one of my really weak points as a builder. I'd learn one other thing afterwards n' that's how to apply decals as I realy had problems with the decals on the JEEP. My misstake was tryin' to apply the waterslide decals on a flatpainted surface with exstensive silvering as a "added" bonus and now two years later the decals have dryed n' cracked as the've lifted themselfs from the surface. Clearly a lesson learned.

The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
    ----
    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

I've also had problems with silvering, damn Corsair, and now only use decals as a last resort. Usually I'll cut stencil from misket and airbrush on the markings or I'll use the decal sheet as a mask.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Try a gloss coat before decaling and overspraying with a flat coat. It will make the decals disappear!! Nice job on the jeep!! The interior looks super!!

Ham
      Semper Fi
      Doug

Comment

Thanks!

I've learnt it the hard way with this JEEP and since then I glosscoat before aplying decals and then flatcoat over the decals when they've dryed.
        The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
        ----

Comment

Good job and here are some hints.

Don't bother painting eyes in 1/35 scale, just use a dark wash to fill in the sockets. There are some overzealous modelers who claim they can paint realistic eyes in 1/35 scale but the real world truth is you don't begin to see the whites of people's eyes until they're a couple meters away from you. Now imagine you're a quarter of a mile away from a person and you can see the whites of their eyes-most 1/35 figures with completely painted eyes look like that.

If you absolutely must paint the whites and the iris place the iris dots to the sides as if the person was looking sideways This gives a much better chance of achieving an acceptable effect than a straight ahead "1000 yard stare".

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Thanks, you'll see much worse examples from my brush than this figure soon enough as I post more of my builds. I'm still learning to pait figures n' it aint goin' that well for me.
            ----

Comment

The Jeep looks great man.
              Have you ever considered using decal solvent and /or setting solutions? I used to struggle with decals until I bought myself a set of 'AeroMaster' aftermarket decals to replace a damaged set from a kit. I decided to follow the aftermarket instructions to the letter whatever happened. Despite the fact that my decals resembled raisin skins when I walked away that night, by morning they had settled and conformed around some pretty complex detail. With a matt clear coat, they turned out to be the best looking decals I had ever applied. Now I look forward to decalling.
              The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Thanks!

I've managed to ge hold of Micro Sol but haven't used it yet due to the fact that I've not managed to get anything ready for decaling since I bought it during the summer.
                ----

Comment

If you can get it, Micro Set will also help. There are also other brands of the same stuff that work equally well. Gunze Sangyo have 'Mr Mark Softer' and 'Mr Mark Setter'. These aren't typos, just bad English used on the jars...these products are made in Hong Kong I think. Asia anyway. They work really well. On a good gloss coat you shouldn't have any problems at all.
                  The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Micro Set was out of stock in the store I visited when I bought Micro Sol.

There should be other brands out there with roughly the same thing but I'm not familiar with 'em. A decal setting liquid could come in handy while I'm cussin' n' swearin' as I try to get the decals to stick on a zimmerit surface later on...
                    ----

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post

There should be other brands out there with roughly the same thing but I'm not familiar with 'em. A decal setting liquid could come in handy while I'm cussin' n' swearin' as I try to get the decals to stick on a zimmerit surface later on...
                      You can cut the decal along the lines of zimmermit. Then it will fall into the grooves. I'm planning on just stenciling markings onto my zimm.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post

There are indeed other brands out there...most of them are okay to work with according to my reading. I'm with Freight here though. If I needed Balkenkreuz markings on zimmerit, I'd just stencil them on. White pencils work fine for those little tactical markings too. Keep in mind also that often, large turret numbers were hand painted on often by a crew member so depending on your own personal tastes...these can be hand painted too.
                        Y'know I sometimes wonder if zimmerit wasn't just Hitler's revenge on us modellers.
                        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                          Y'know I sometimes wonder if zimmerit wasn't just Hitler's revenge on us modellers.
                          That and SS camo patterns.

Comment

And Luftwaffe nightfighter camo schemes.
                            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Don't forget Italian a/c desert camo.
                              ----

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X