Diorama stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diorama stuff...

What do you guys use to make grass? And how do you get it to stay there? Watered down elmers glue or what?
    I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

I use static grass and attach it with watered down glue.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I use some of the foam rubber products Woodland Scenics, this has to be used carefully in 1/35th scale dioramas or it WILL look unnatural. Nylon or natural paint brush (fine) bristle works for me as well. I've also used theatrical crepe hair (usually available at your local costume shop) and broom straw. If you can find a natural bristle scrub brush, that'll work too.
      I prefer celluclay as my "base medium" and add water-based paint to achieve the ground (dirt) colored desired. When adding the paint add a little white glue and once it starts to set up slightly, I add the vegetation, rocks, etc.. Depending on how thick the celluclay is applied to the base, it may take 2 - 3 days to dry, this allows me plenty of time to make adjustments, additions, etc..

razorboy
      http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by razorboy View Post
        I prefer celluclay as my "base medium" ...
        Do you have problems with shrinkage or warping? With the Celluclay...
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I use Railroad Hydrocal mixed with good ole Illinois clay for a base. I use "Woodland Scenics" Grasses (I have all the colors now) and I either poke in holes while hydrocal is wet, or drill em in afterwards and super glue the grass in. Then cover with the ground works and White glue on "Verlinden Static grass" You can cut the "Woodland Scenics" grass to whatever length you want and it can also be glued down in patches like real grass. And it has a real look and no real need for painting or dyeing and its only 5$ a pack or so. Look around in yer backyard or empty lots Trev, you can find all kinds of interesting plant bits you can use too.( IE., Zoysia grass stems look just like mini corn plants, or oregano flower heads make some nice small leafed bushes.But you have to paint these to make em look more real.)
          Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
          In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
          Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

I used to be a big fan of Celluclay, until, SHRINKAGE happened. I even had
            bases shrink years later. So i started to use Mud 40 min stuff and it totally
            dry. I've built 4 models this year all with mud, and no shrinkage yet!
            The only draw back i can see so far, is that it can crack, especially if you drop it.
            Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
              I used to be a big fan of Celluclay, until, SHRINKAGE happened. I even had
              bases shrink years later. So i started to use Mud 40 min stuff and it totally
              dry. I've built 4 models this year all with mud, and no shrinkage yet!
              The only draw back i can see so far, is that it can crack, especially if you drop it.
              Never heard of that excuse before. I usually blame it on the cold.

Comment

Too much water in the celluclay mix will increase your chances for shrinkage. I think the addittion of glue to the mix thickens the mixture enough to eliminate 99.9% of it (for me). The newest diorama I've shown in this forum is approximately 13 years old, the oldest being 24 or 25....no shrinkage. As for warping, If I am using a wooden base I always double seal all surfaces with poly-eurathane.

razorboy
                http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

I always used water thinned Elmers glue and Static grass. Its an unbeatable combination for me. It dry brushes so well theres no reason to use anything else.
                  http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X