Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first build as an adult

Hi all.

I'm new to this hobby if you don't count my dabbling as a kid with Matchbox a/c in 1:72 and Matchbox AFV's in 1:76. But that was mostly in the early eighties.

(I'm reusing the text I first wrote when I first published this AFV two years ago. Haven't built so many kits since then so I'm still consider myself an beginner that want's more and I still don't have an airbrush)

So after seeing other people's work I got interested to try and start all over again now when I'm older and more relaxed. So I wen't looking at the local toy store and fell for Academy's M3 Stuart "Honey" in 1:35 scale. Well I bought it at 249 SEK and went home, dug out my old Humbrol stack and started to paint with brush om the frames (I don't own an airbrush). For a start I didn't like the meager paintguide in the instruction that doesn't refer to a specific brand and colornumber and instead just give you generic colornames and that strange greyblue color, arrrgh. Well it was just to do some research and did come up with using Humbrol #93, 31 & 30.

I did find the kit easy to build with good fitting parts, next to no excesive castings to scrape of and nice instructions. The decals though was bad, I had big trouble to get 'em to stick and had to paint the stripes on the sideskirts since they wouldn't stick.

Weathering has been done with pastells and Terpinex as medium, applyed with a brush and rubbed off with a artist paper pen and cottonbuds.

All in all it took me 39 hours to complete the modell not counting my time researching colors.

The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
    ----
    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Welcome! Honey looks great!
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Nice work, and 'Bugger' is a good name for a honey!!!
      Wolster

Comment

Excellent weather job!! Not bad at all for your first in many years!
        Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

What do you mean, not bad at all Great weathring with the dust of the desert that you can almost smell. I'm jealous.

HP
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Thanks for your appreciation! I'll post some more of my builds later on and you'll maybee get some laughs of 'em as my "Honey" by far ist the one withe the heaviest weathering. Too bad I'm a slow builder n' a fast buyer as my stockpile of unbuilt models keeps growin'.
            The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
            ----

Comment

This can't be your first as an adult. That's amazing.

Comment

Yes it's my first adult build and my first ever in 1:35 scale. Took my time with it. Plus the fact that it really was an outstanding fit in the parts of the kit. Academy is even better than most Tamiya's with this kit. I've built kits from Academy, Tamiya and Dragon so far, all in 1:35.
                ----

Comment

Nice work! !/35 is a fun scale...you don't stress your eyes...*cough cough* Duncan *cough cough*
                  I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Here's some more shots of the Honey!

----

Comment

Keep posting your work here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                        Keep posting your work here.
                        Will do but if I'm too quick I'll end up without any work to post. Have managed to build less than 10 modells during two years and all of 'em isn't even weathered.
                        ----

Comment

Looks excellent McCoy. It seems I'm all turned arouns about this 'Academy' crew. I have only ever built one of their kits...their 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 which is a forgettable kit. The Honey looks like a really good one though. That weathering looks great. Thanks for posting your pics. I look forward to seeing more. Cheers.
                          The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Holy Sizzlin' Snake Sh*ts McCoy!!! Excellent Honey, maybe I should try my hand again.
                            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                            David Bowie

Comment

Thanks!

Geek44, as I've found out the quallity on Academy's kits can vary a lot from modell to modell. I've seen that I-16 and it didn't look good at all. The newer kits from Academy is often very good in their AFV line. I've also seen some praise for some of their a/c's but as I'm not an a/c builder I don't remember what modells that was.

You do just that Bob! It's for your own pleasure that you should build and thanks for your praise.
                              ----

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X