Photographing models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing models

I've just bought myself a small light tent from eBay - for 0.99! Time will tell if it's good enough, it's for my small LEGO creations (naturally). Anyone have any experience with lightboxes?

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Let me know how it works out. I am thinking of getting an inexpensive one with a couple of lights.

Comment

Sure thing.

This one is dead cheap (postage is about a tenner though, so there you go) but it comes with some coloured backdrops. I'll see how it is and then I might get a couple of cheap spotlights or something if I need them - I don't want to go down the mega-expensive route as I would like more money to spend on LEGO!

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

What is a 'light tent'? I thought I knew what a light-box was but I think you guys are talking about something else.
        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Yeah, I typed in "Light Box" on eBay and ended up with a "Light Tent" - but I think it's what I need.

Here's the linky - hope this works:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...8008823&ih=008

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Thanks. The link worked fine but I'm still in the dark (no pun).
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Basically you just bung your model/object inside there and snap away - the tent thingy sort of diffuses the light so you avoid reflections and achieve a clearer photo. You can use natural light or room light, or set up lights around the outside to get better photos.

This is a photo taken by a guy in my LEGO Club using one of those light tents.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Ah yes kinda simular to what i use, best to shoot your light source stright
                down from the top. And use as much light as possible, the more you have
                the better you can stop down to say like F16 or F22 so that everything
                comes into focus. Also use manual setting on your camera to do this.

Point & Shoot cameras won't go manual, but you can hit their depth of field
                button.

Don't forget A very strong light, and not too close to the fabric, don't want
                to melt it.

This is the the type of thing Commercial photographers use for product shots
                Geek, of corse theirs is most likely bigger

Hope this helps
                Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

What sort of exposure time do you recommend?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

ok i'll do my best to help you here, you most likely don't have a exposure meter?
                    Thats ok, set your asa/iso to 100, that should give you an f stop of 8 or higher depending on how much light you got, set your shutter speed at 125.
                    You want the best f stop you can get so if you need to , go 200 or 400 on your iso, so that way you get better dept of field. Good thing about digital if
                    it looks ugly you can keep going and deleteing.

Let me know how this goes, PS my major was Commercial Photography next to cinema.
                    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
                      Let me know how this goes, PS my major was Commercial Photography next to cinema.
                      I figured you'd jump all over this one!!
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Only because i obey S.Inc

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
                          ok i'll do my best to help you here, you most likely don't have a exposure meter?
                          Thats ok, set your asa/iso to 100, that should give you an f stop of 8 or higher depending on how much light you got, set your shutter speed at 125.
                          You want the best f stop you can get so if you need to , go 200 or 400 on your iso, so that way you get better dept of field. Good thing about digital if
                          it looks ugly you can keep going and deleteing.

I have a couple of digital cameras one of which can be set up as you suggest, so I'll give it a go. Ta.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the info Doc. As is probably fairly common knowledge here, my photography isn't my strong point...any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
                            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Well my photography isn't the best. But what I'm understanding is that a light tent, box, hut, room...whatever, is just sometihng to abosrbe over light...can't a curtain on sheets work too?
                              I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X