How do you make snow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make snow???

I'm trying to add snow to a base of one of my models, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work. I'm using a base of carpenters glue and spreading model snow over it. But the snow won't stick right.
    Any ideas? I need this base finished by. . .this Friday. But this will hopefully come in handy later.

Let the carpenter's glue dry. Go to a model train store and purchase enough of the layout bag snow as you will need. Paint flat white over the dried glue and once that's dry, give the base a light coating of hair spray, then lightly sprinkle the snow material over it. If you want drifts or contours, build them up of model clay first. That should do it.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

That sounds like a good way to me, i've always used baking soda myself.
      Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Carpenter's glue isn't quite the right stuff. I always used simple Elmer's white glue dilluted 50/50 with water and misted onto surfaces to make them tacky enough for stuff to stick. Then a later second misting secured the stuff forever, of the peviously mentioned clear hair spray. White Rain works just fine. If you need to wet the surface first, a little alcohol in water or a drop of liquid soap will break up the surface tension and wet rough areas very thoroughly, making the glue mist more effective. This is what model railroaders use, as well.

Note: It is necessary to keep the sprayer nozzle cleaned out after each use; otherwise the @#$%&* stuff dries and blocks the nozzle.

Carpenter's glue is very good for what it was designed for - heavy carpentry applications - but a little too much for the more delicate world of us modellers.

Comment

I use baking soda sifted through a tea bag strainer and cheesecloth. I'll use either hairspray or airbrushed thinner to attach it.

If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Damn Scott, that looks great! Very natural.
            ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Alright thanks. I'm trying out the 50/50 glue and water and hairspray thing. Hopefully it will work. . .

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
                Damn Scott, that looks great! Very natural.
                Indeed, It looks almost like the real stuff
                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Very good job! I never used baking soda for snow; I always used it to make rust.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                    Very good job! I never used baking soda for snow; I always used it to make rust.
                    Never of that! How do you do it?
                    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Cyberia, MountainMan, thank you very much! It worked great. I'll get some pictures up when I'm done with the entire base and model, which should be tomorrow.

Comment

I'm more of an aircraft guy so my attemps at diorama building are both crappy and in the distant past so far. The one time I tried to make snow, I made the mistake of using caster sugar...it went mouldy of course...made for an 'interesting' diorama after a few months.
                        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                          Cyberia, MountainMan, thank you very much! It worked great. I'll get some pictures up when I'm done with the entire base and model, which should be tomorrow.
                          Good to hear!
                          ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Here is my one use of snow. I masked off the stand and painted a base of white. Then I sprayed down some thinned white glue and used scenic snow that I purchased from a model railway shop. Hm... needs dusting.

Comment

Like FS I always use Baking soda and a 50/50 White glue water mix. Then Hairspray to fix it.
                              Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                              In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                              Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X