Scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scales

I have an idea of what I want to do for the 1st B-52 i recently completed.
    As it will hang from the ceiling I want to hang a kc-135 tanker above that to showcase aerial refueling. Good idea but so far I cant find a kc-135 in a 1 144 scale.
    I found one on ebay but it's a 1/72 scale. Reading product description it's too big.
    My question is how to determine size according to scales? I would think that the higher the number the bigger the scale, but obviously that's not the case.
    I have a 1/144 scale, but its smaller then a 1/72 and a 1/400.
    Alot of stuff I see on the net do not have descriptions of size, just the scale, and would like to know how to figure this out.
    Thanx

Scale represents the "cut down" size of your model represented in inches. If you were building a B-52 at 1/1 scale it would be actual size one inch on the model equals one inch on the actual aircraft (Wow..what a model!!) 1/2 would be half size. Most Aircraft are in 1/72, 1/48/, or 1/32. Your 1/144 would be half the size of a B-52 at 1/72 scale.
    The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower
    April 16, 1953

Comment

Or you can look at it like this. In 1/144, one inch in real life equals 144 inches on your model. The higher the number, the smaller your model will be.
      The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
      Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Take the size of the actual plane and multiply by 1/144 (or divide by 144).

So a KC-135 has a 39.88m wingspan.
        That's 3988cm
        3988/144 = 27.69cm and that is the wingspan of a KC 135 in 1/144.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
          Or you can look at it like this. In 1/144, one inch in real life equals 144 inches on your model. The higher the number, the smaller your model will be.
          OK, i don't know if the math will work out but i thought it was one inch on the model is 144 inches on the real thing. Maybe its all the same. I'm confused!!!

Wikipedia has this to say about it:

• The length of a line that is scaled is the previous length times the scale factor. In other words:
          • The area of a shape in two-space (a circle, for example) is equal to the previous area times the square of the scale factor. In other words:
          • The volume of a shape in three-space is equal to the cube of the scale factor times the initial volume. In other words:
          See, easy!!

This makes it all as clear as mud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_model#Scales
          Last edited by Wolster; 21 Sep 07, 10:41.
          Wolster

Comment

Pie aren't square. Pie are round. Cake are square.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
              OK, i don't know if the math will work out but i thought it was one inch on the model is 144 inches on the real thing. Maybe its all the same. I'm confused!!!

Wikipedia has this to say about it:

See, easy!!

This makes it all as clear as mud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_model#Scales
              One inch equals 144 scaled down inches...as you said.
              The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Well, USA, you could get a lower scale and hang it higher to make it look like it was going away from the refueling, but I doubt you'll find it.
                I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Pie aren't square. Pie are round. Cake are square.

Now that's funny!!!
                  Semper Fi
                  Doug

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X