B-52H Disaster! Need some assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52H Disaster! Need some assistance

I have decided, forced to actually, to make this bomber in flight..that is no landing gear.
    1st photo are instructions for landing gear into inside of fusalage. I guess I put too much paint as I couldnt get them to fit properly, plus couldnt get the fusalage halves tegether. So decided to this one will model flight from 50,000 ft.
    2nd photo is instruction for cockpit. I thought I had it in properly, but if you look at the severe crease along the top of the fusalage(3rd & 4th photo) I guess t isnt in properly.
    Question: is there anyway I can mask that crease? Also someone mentioned to get rid of the tube glue, as it can be seen dried on the plane. WHat glue should I get?
    I baught delicate sanding films. Will that help remove some of the shown dried glue?
    Though Im screwing up Im still having fun! Good learning experience for my next two models that are more detail.

Go to your local Wal-Mart, look in the toy section, find the models, there will be a Testors liquid cement there, in a funny shapped black plastic bottle.
    Buy it, you'll never go back to that other crap.
    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

You should also buy their modeling putty for those seems
      Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Squadron White Putty, or Zap a Gap to fill the hole...then sand it down and repaint.....be sure to scribe in any panel lines.

First Question I am not sure about may wanna field it to the plane boys....but unless you plane to hang it on the ceiling I'd put the wheels down.
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
          Squadron White Putty, or Zap a Gap to fill the hole...then sand it down and repaint.....be sure to scribe in any panel lines.

First Question I am not sure about may wanna field it to the plane boys....but unless you plane to hang it on the ceiling I'd put the wheels down.
          This one will hang from the ceiling.

Comment

There are many liquid glues available these days...that tube glue is like still using a musket mate.
            The best liquid glue IMO is Tamiya Extra Thin. Small square bottle with a light green lid.
            When fitting your internal parts...always do a few 'dry fits'. Place evrything where it needs to be and then practice closing up the fuselage. Try also closing the fuselage dry but without the internals in place too. That way, you'll be able to tell if the fuselage halves fit poorly anyway or if your gap is due to internal parts not being seated quite right.
            The beauty of the liquid glue is that you can dry fir to your hearts content, then when it all fits nicely, you can run the liquid glue down the seams without pulling it all apart again. Capilliary action draws the glue along the seam. Any glue residue left on the fuselage parts will simply evaporate if you don't touch it. It's important not to touch liquid glue as it actually dissolves the plastic. Touching it will leave a fingerprint that you'll have to sand off. Glad you're having fun mate. That's the key word.
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Thanx for all the quick replies.
              Given the holiday on monday I am doing an all-nighter with this. Good thing Walmart is open 24 hrs so I went and came back with this. Got the glue recommended, knives, and the airbrush some of you folks recommended to start with. They didnt have the putty for the crease so I'll have to goto the hobby store tomorrow for that.
              Thought I was going there is spend a few bucks, but ended up spending $50! Im sure may of you experience that!

Comment

Don't use oil paints in that airbrush. The solvent will melt the plastic and gum it up. I have a similar airbrush. It's handy if the model is going to be one uniform colour and I don't want to wrestle with a more complicated airbrush. Don't be afraid to use spray bombs. Tamiya and Testors make some nice colours. You can get surprisingly good results with a spray can.

I have had some limited success using white glue to fill gaps.

I know what you mean about spending the money. $50 isn't that bad. I try not to go into hobby shops unless I need something specific. They are hazardous to my pocket book.
                Last edited by Duncan; 02 Sep 07, 00:24.

Comment

funny thing I just realized this evening that airbrushes only take specific paint.
                  While at the hobby store the other day for a specific color I purchased another color, "burnt metal", as I couldnt find burnt steel. Looked at it today there is a red stripe near the bottom of the label with the print "for airbrushes only"

Comment

Originally posted by usaalways View Post
                    I have decided, forced to actually, to make this bomber in flight..that is no landing gear.
                    1st photo are instructions for landing gear into inside of fusalage. I guess I put too much paint as I couldnt get them to fit properly, plus couldnt get the fusalage halves tegether. So decided to this one will model flight from 50,000 ft.

2nd photo is instruction for cockpit. I thought I had it in properly, but if you look at the severe crease along the top of the fusalage(3rd & 4th photo) I guess t isnt in properly.
                    Question: is there anyway I can mask that crease? Also someone mentioned to get rid of the tube glue, as it can be seen dried on the plane. WHat glue should I get?
                    I baught delicate sanding films. Will that help remove some of the shown dried glue?
                    Though Im screwing up Im still having fun! Good learning experience for my next two models that are more detail.

All is not lost with the Landing Gear and you can still use them in the down position.

I see you now have a hobby knife, use it to remove some of the thick paint where the parts connect to each other.
                    Only remove what you need too, test fit (Without glue) the landing gear parts every so often and see where the fitting problem is and work on those areas until it fits together nicely.

Some of the gaps in between the fuselage halves can be closed with the aid of rubber elastic bands.
                    (This wont work near the cockpit with the internal parts inside but will work further down the fuselage behind the wings.)

Before you glue, take the rubber bands and put them around the fuselage where the gaps are to test how tight they need to be to close the gap and then remove them.

Now while there is a gap between the halves, carefully run the glue on the inside edge of the gap and then place the rubber bands back on your plane to close the gap.
                    (Then leave it for 24 hours to let the glue set hard enough to hold it shut.)

I dont know how long the fuselage was glued together for, but ANOTHER OPTION is to use a hair dryer blowing hot air on the glue that has set but not cured, it will soften the glue enough to pull the pieces apart from each other so you can re-seat the cockpit into its correct position, you then re-glue the fuselage back together.
                    This is only an option of last resort.
                    (ALSO BE WARNED, GET TOO CLOSE WITH THE HOT AIR OR HOLD IT ON FOR TOO LONG AND YOU RISK MELTING THE PARTS.)

White Glue is very good for attaching clear parts because it doesn't FOG them but its not very good at filling gaps, so like the others here have already suggested use Model Putty to fill any gaps you have left.

Cheers,
                    Dave
                    Last edited by Aussie Dave; 02 Sep 07, 06:16.
                    Roger, I see them. Attacking now

Comment

Originally posted by usaalways View Post
                      funny thing I just realized this evening that airbrushes only take specific paint.
                      While at the hobby store the other day for a specific color I purchased another color, "burnt metal", as I couldnt find burnt steel. Looked at it today there is a red stripe near the bottom of the label with the print "for airbrushes only"
                      It says it's for airbrushes only because it's pre-thinned. You can still brush paint with it but your coverage might not be very good.
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X