Airbrush + other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbrush + other stuff

This is kinda funny if you read my opening thread. I mentioned that my older brother used to build model planes way back when he was in high school.
    Well I called him today to wish him a belated H-bday and told him of my new hobby. It it turns out that he just completed an airplane about 2 months ago!
    Well so much for that as he was always sporatically doing this hobby. He's currently in his 21st year in the Navy(E-9 master chief petty officer) currently in MS over-looking the completion of the USS Mesa Verde. As some of you military veterans know not much time as desired can be spent with loved ones.
    Anyway time on the phone time was limited and all those yrs in the Navy he learned to talk so fast(along with the perfanity-LOL) and he mentioned he uses and airbrush.
    So What i would like for you guys is to direct me, a beginner, to an airbrush to use. I'll trust ya's and get it this week for next weekend. I really dont want to use too much time painted all the fusalage and wings with a brush.
    Thanx folks!

If you have never used an airbrush before, start with something simple. Most any Wal-Mart carries a inexpensive but effective airbush that operates off a can of compressed air.
    Good starter set and a great way to learn while you save up for a pro model.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

If you ever noticed the Walmart website is hidieous.
      I cant find anything on their website except books on it, so I will have to goto their store.
      By any chance do you know the exact name of this model? I usually dont have luck with their worker's knowledge when I go there

Comment

Originally posted by usaalways View Post
        If you ever noticed the Walmart website is hidieous.
        I cant find anything on their website except books on it, so I will have to goto their store.
        By any chance do you know the exact name of this model? I usually dont have luck with their worker's knowledge when I go there
        I think the brand of airbrush was Testor's. They do also sell small compressors, but I would try the canned air model first and if all goes well, then spend the money on a quality compressor, as you most likely than have a serious interest in continuing the hobby.
        ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
        ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

I would suggest getting a simple single-action brush but eventually you'll want a double-action. I'd make the jump straight to a double-action or buy an Aztec (Testors) brush which functions as both a single and a double action.

I started with a Badger single-action, went to an Aztec and now I have a Badger 360 double-action brush.

Here's a good site that should answer many questions:

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/lesson%201.htm
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Here's a link. Check it out, of course if you dont mind, and let me know which one I should get.
            I am wiling to spend under 70 bucks.
            Thanks friends!
            http://www.hobbylinc.com/airbrush/te...airbrushes.htm
            Last edited by usaalways; 26 Aug 07, 20:44.

Comment

Hey thanks for the airbrush site.
              Been wondering about these myself and don't know anybody who uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by usaalways View Post
                Here's a link. Check it out, of course if you dont mind, and let me know which one I should get.
                I am wiling to spend under 70 bucks.
                Thanks friends!
                http://www.hobbylinc.com/airbrush/te...airbrushes.htm
                That testors single action with cheap compressor is a neat deal at 72 bucks for a beginner.....I have had good luck with the testors compressor I have and this one may be more tuned to the beginner worth a look!
                Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Absolutely stay away from Testors airbrushes. Get a Badger 150 Anthem or a Paasche VL and get a Campbell Hausfeld (or similar) compressor from a hardware store. You will need a moisture trap for the compressor. Hobby companies are asking for upwards of $300 for compressors because they have a Testors logo on them and supposedly are ideal for modeling. You can get the same compressor at a hardware store for $80...minus the Testors logo.

Once you have mastered the classic airbrush (Paasche or Badger) and learned the art of airbrushing as it has been practiced for the last 100 years only then get a plastic space age novelty like the Testors Aztek.

There's a reason why the Paasche VL is still unchanged and still on the market 60 years after it was introduced. A lot of sweat and tears went into perfecting the classic design and making sure it works consistently every time.
                  Last edited by MonsterZero; 27 Aug 07, 01:16.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                  --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

YEah I got one of those Hardware store compressors and for shooting model stuff it aint worth a plug nickel.And when I bought it I wished I had know that but I needed a compressor and it was the only one in town I could afford).. the Testors I have (Borrowed for some projects) costs its owner 112 bucks and is worth every penny... it has the attached moisture trap and is on demand air..... A very good compressor, and cheap. My WB Brown was from a Hardware store and unless you like playing adjust the air pressure every 5 seconds I dont like it.... Now The tank jobs are nice... I would like to get one of those one day. One of the nice rigs that sometimes go on sale for 80 or 90 bucks.....with pressure adjuster and moisture trap attached. Harbor tools has one I been keeping an eye on....

And as Far as Testors airbrushes I got a 15 year old one and a 10 year old one and I think they get the job done. The Azteks are for medium to Pro modelers. I have one of the early Azteks and I like it! But the cheapo single action one works just fine til you get the money to get a better one.
                    I just sold a 30 year old Badger and wish I hadn't. It was a decent one too and only cost 20 bucks back then. (Think now they are about 30 bucks....)

Your choice..... but like any product, you are gonna hear good and bad....just dont go spend Hundreds on stuff you dont know what to do with it! Stay cheap and in your budget the Paashes and Badgers are good and decently priced...

Comment

I'm running my Campbell compressor without a moisture trap and have never needed one. Good compressor for around $70.
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Paasche for me, incredible selection, so many options, and not expensive.

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/

It's the brand I trust, and it's the brand my dad used, and my dad was a pro.

about 50 bucks gets you started.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Been airbrushing for 25 years and never had a problem with my Aztek. I also have an Iwata Custom Micron B but it's not a beginner's piece. Badger, Richpen and Paasche are also excellent. I never used a moisture trap either. Unless you live in a humid area you'll probably not need one.
                          The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                            Been airbrushing for 25 years and never had a problem with my Aztek. I also have an Iwata Custom Micron B but it's not a beginner's piece. Badger, Richpen and Paasche are also excellent. I never used a moisture trap either. Unless you live in a humid area you'll probably not need one.
                            I am with ya Geek and Fs never really had a moisture trap til I borrowed my buddies compressor and its attached....I got my eye set on one of the Iwata finelines..... when I get some cash saved up....

Comment

moisture traps, all kinds of compressors, ect...
                              I have alot to learn. Again Im glad I was directed to this site.
                              Well I didnt meet the $10 minimum from that site where I tried to order gunship grey. So I'll have to goto a Hobbytown on my lunch break(work hrs do not allow me to go before/after) to get some as I really want to get this fusalage/wings done. I hope they have this color in a spray can as I have Aluminum Plate #1451 for the fusalage for my B-17G.
                              I wish I had access to this site before I went to hobbytown on Saturday...just got things the worker suggested.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X