Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dragon Tiger I (late production)

Hi guys,

I've noticed a new release from Dragon, Tiger I Late Production, '3-in-1', kit No. 6406 (not to be confused with kit No. 6253 of similar name).

I have the earlier kit No. 6253. Besides a few extra features and some minor detail improvements, does anyone know if the newer kit has much to offer over the one I've got already?
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

See if this helps

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlus...sp?pid=DRA6406

Looks like a great kit, but i've got Tiger burn out.
    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Tarted up

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
      See if this helps

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlus...sp?pid=DRA6406

Looks like a great kit, but i've got Tiger burn out.
      Thanks lufttiger, that does help a little. Looks like a tarted up version of the one I've already got.
      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Like I posted before; Dragon comes out with new models of the same thing so often you don't know if you should buy now or wait...
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
          Like I posted before; Dragon comes out with new models of the same thing so often you don't know if you should buy now or wait...
          Yes; on the one hand, it's very good that they are prepared to improve their kits but on the other, it can become an expensive exercise if you are like me and want the 'best' version. I'm on my third Nashorn, for example.

Comment

Bit disappointing for me, still a very nice kit though

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
            "Yes; on the one hand, it's very good that they are prepared to improve their kits but on the other, it can become an expensive exercise if you are like me and want the 'best' version. I'm on my third Nashorn, for example."
            UPDATE: I've now got this kit.

In my opinion, for the features I like in a tank kit, it's a retrograde step overall. The one-piece 'DS' track was a bit 'iffy' for me to begin with (knew about that) but perhaps I should have read over the information a bit more closely, then I would have noticed that the metal barrel of the earlier kit has been replaced with a sectional plastic one. And while I can live with the metal exhaust covers being replaced with plastic ones (the new plastic jobs are very well done), the side fenders being moulded as one piece of plastic, instead of the separate sectioned metal ones, I did find disappointing. You also don't get the assortment of ammo rounds and spent cases offered with the earlier kit, neither do you get the metal bucket and towing shackles.

IMHO, the few extra detail improvements on the plastic sprues don't compensate for what's been lost. However, I'm sure the kit will still make up to a fine rendition of the tank.

Best regards to all,
            panther3485

Comment

I don't mind the Dragon 3-in-1 kits. I have two...Panzer IV Ausf. E and Sdkfz. 251. The Pz IV comes with a turned metal barrel but I didn't use it. Sure it has no seam on it but the plastic barrel has rifling that the metal one doesn't. I was only too happy to spend a few minutes cleaning up the plastic barrel for the benefit of the rifling. I guess being short, the Pz IV barrel has less chance of 'twisting'.
              The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                "I don't mind the Dragon 3-in-1 kits. I have two...Panzer IV Ausf. E and Sdkfz. 251. The Pz IV comes with a turned metal barrel but I didn't use it. Sure it has no seam on it but the plastic barrel has rifling that the metal one doesn't. I was only too happy to spend a few minutes cleaning up the plastic barrel for the benefit of the rifling. I guess being short, the Pz IV barrel has less chance of 'twisting'."
                Yeah, excellent kits. I've got all the new Dragon PzKpfw IVs.

In the case of these gun barrels (the short 75s) I'd agree with you that the rifling makes the plastic barrels - which have very little moulding seam anyway - a better rendition than the metal ones.

In the case of the Tiger I (or just about any other tank that has a gun with a muzzle brake), I've a strong preference for the metal barrels. No seams, nice and straight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X