Damn it, my airbrushing finish is too coarse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn it, my airbrushing finish is too coarse

What pressure should I set my Bager to? 10? 15? 20? What's the magic number? The coarse finish is caused by air particles drying up too fast, before they hit the model.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

What did you have it set to?
    I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

At first it was between 10 and 15 PSI producing coarse but then I turned it up to 20 psi but I don't think there was an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        At first it was between 10 and 15 PSI producing coarse but then I turned it up to 20 psi but I don't think there was an improvement.
        Try 25 to 30. Thats what my airbrush says to use if you hve a compressor...try it out on a piee of cardboard or scrap plastic first though.
        I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Higher pressure will atomize the paint better but won't it shorten its airborne drying time while the droplets are in transit?

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
            Higher pressure will atomize the paint better but won't it shorten its airborne drying time while the droplets are in transit?
            Um...I don't know. I would imagine that it woulnd't be too bad. It needs to go on for a while until its on the verge or drying.Give it a shot around 30, if that isn't it try going to a lower psi.

Comment

12-17 for me, but then it also has a alot to do with your paint and what
              your duluting it with?

For me i use Tamiya 1-part paint mixed with 2-3 parts rub acohal

I think your using enamal with probably thinner?

You might try Turpinoid instead of thinner, how are you mixing it? What parts?
              Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Thinning may be the problem if it is drying in the air. I use Tamiya acrylics and find that a little windex works as an extender.

Always good to do a test patch on the inside of the model that won't be seen.

Comment

I shoot at 20 to 23 psi with my paint thinned to milk consistency. And as I told Aussie Dave in other post...be sure to STRAIN (I use a small grid tea strainer, smallest you can find. I use Testors Model Master and Polly S colors)) your paint after thinned! Make sure it is well mixed.
                  Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                  In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                  Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

I shoot at around 10-15 PSI. If your paint is drying too soon you need to lower your PSI, not raise it. You also might be spraying too far from the model .I use Tamyia paint in my Badger but don't have a clue as to how I thin it, I just eyeball it, and use denatured alcohol for thinner.
                    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I thin with water rather than any other solvent...thats why I shoot a little higher than the rest of these guys....I on occasion use alcohol but not too often.

Comment

Are you using a single or double action airbrush, MZ?

I generally like to use Model Master or Tamiya with de-natured, usually mixed about 1 to 1 for me Badger double action, @ 10-20psi. Sometimes 1 to 2 or slightly less with me ancient old Testors single action, @ 15-25psi.

I too wonder if the range from which you are shooting might be more a factor...

but am interested in the particulars of your mix, as well...

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I've been tempted to try water, Panzer, but 1/2 the people I've known that have tried it, didn't like it... The other half still do it. An FYI in the tips thread would be cool, mate!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                            I've been tempted to try water, Panzer, but 1/2 the people I've known that have tried it, didn't like it... The other half still do it. An FYI in the tips thread would be cool, mate!

The majority of my creations that I airbrush are done with water thinning...I find it mush easier for me to control...its what I learned on and it's what I am familiar with. I only use other solvents in rare cases....like when I shoot metalizers or am looking for a way to solve a paint problem.

I could do an FYI if some folks desire such but it will be done in the style I use if any are interested. I have a WB Brown Compressor and judge PSI by feel rather than a gage....the Aztec compressor I borrowed has gage but I did it by feel there too....then I looked at the gage to see where I was at.

If I get enough interest I will give a "How To" crash course on my style of airbrushing. And I can give a crash course on the art of "DryBrushing" And "WetBrushing" Yet again these will be in the style I have spent better than 30 years learning. Wes, ye brought some good seeds to mind.
                            I like to teach these things and leave it open for the student to form his own style....my style works for me and may not for you...but as the Marines say: Adapt and Overcome......
                            I have taught more people to paint than I can count on both hands and if I get enough interest I can start up a thread on it . But one problem is some I hope to be back to work, so I wont have as much time!

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                              You also might be spraying too far from the model .
                              I think we are getting somewhere...I noticed I have the habit of misting from long range.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X