Well, it's kind of military 'other hobbies'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it's kind of military 'other hobbies'

I'm spending the evening sanding out knocks of some handmade arrows. Normally I would just cheat by using plastic knocks. However, I (and my wife) need three minimum scores with 'self-knocking' arrows and a 'period' longbow to achieve the standing I want. And my wife wants to us to get in one of these tomorrow evening. Someone else made the arrows. They were custom made for my wife's birthday. They didn't do a very good job though. Some of the shafts are less that straight, the sealant has runs, and the knocks have no chance of getting on a string. So, here I am sanding arrow knocks instead of the F-5.

You're using aluminium arrows? What kind of points are you using?
    My Dad was a champion archer at his local club and I have all his stuff including his old wood laminate 60lb bow. It's a beaut. No extras though...just the bow, the string and skill.
    The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
    Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Fletching is definitely an art so I think it belongs in here. I tried archery many years ago but it never took hold.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
        You're using aluminium arrows? What kind of points are you using?
        My Dad was a champion archer at his local club and I have all his stuff including his old wood laminate 60lb bow. It's a beaut. No extras though...just the bow, the string and skill.
        The arrows are wood. We aren't allowed to score with anything but wood shafts and feather fletching. I have a dozen and a half aluminium shafts. But I only use them for tuning my bow and loaning beginners on a short indoor range. Plastic knocks are allowed but for the standing I am trying to achieve I need to get in three shoots with the self knocking 'period' style arrows shot from a 'period' style longbow. Which are all finished now! I hope they don't come off the string gimpy.
        Last edited by Duncan; 16 Jul 07, 00:10.

Comment

Here is some of the stuff I'll be using for my next set. A kind of before shot. You can see the field points Geek. I only put out a handful of points and such. Didn't want to be stuffing dozens of feathers back in a bag and chasing points across the counter.

Here is your archery trivia. In medieval days the arrows were fletched by a different person than who made the points. They points would just be stuck on with bees wax before battle. No one cared if the points came off inside the enemy.
          Last edited by Duncan; 16 Jul 07, 00:15.

Comment

Ahh field points. That takes me back...I doubt I have any left...just a few bent aluminium target arrows and a sack of broad heads. Do you have a yew longbow? If so...that's mighty cool mate. Good luck with the shoot too.
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
              Ahh field points. That takes me back...I doubt I have any left...just a few bent aluminium target arrows and a sack of broad heads. Do you have a yew longbow? If so...that's mighty cool mate. Good luck with the shoot too.
              I wish. Good yew is hard to find. A yew bow is very expensive. My longbow is a piece of crap. It's red oak. My wife's is better but it is too short for me to draw properly. We are currently discussing wether we want a decent longbow or a crossbow this year.

Comment

A neat hobby Duncan Kinda like making your own loads and bullets when ya go shooting but requires a bit more finesse! I guess according to Medieval tradition, you may have to change your last name now to Fletcher, or Arrowsmith. (And if ya get better shooting the thing Archer would be your last name now)

You may want to talk to one of our English members for a Yew wood bow maybe Dr. S has a secret Yew grove still tended by Sinister druids! (YEs back when Yew WAS that important to the Welsh clans that the groves were hidden and tended only by Druids, or so I have read. And each Yew bow was not owned by any man but belonged to the clan as a whole. If that man was to die in battle or accident his bow would go to the next clansman.Thats how important these bows were in the Dark ages! The Yew took so long to mature to the size of use for bows and it took the Bowyers that long to craft the bows. Now feel free to correct me but I have read this in 2 places and history of the time is sketchy)
                Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                  I wish. Good yew is hard to find. A yew bow is very expensive. My longbow is a piece of crap. It's red oak. My wife's is better but it is too short for me to draw properly. We are currently discussing wether we want a decent longbow or a crossbow this year.
                  I guess I understand the appeal, but isn't a crossbow...well why not just buy a rifle?
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X