Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Is that a 4-8-8-4? A real beauty

The Union Pacific Big Boy is a type of simple articulated 4-8-8-4 steam locomotive manufactured by the American Locomotive Company between 1941 and 1944 and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad in revenue service until 1959.

The 25 Big Boy locomotives were built to haul freight over the Wasatch mountains between Ogden, Utah, and Green River, Wyoming. In the late 1940s, they were reassigned to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where they hauled freight over Sherman Hill to Laramie, Wyoming. They were the only locomotives to use a 4-8-8-4 wheel arrangement: four-wheel leading truck for stability entering curves, two sets of eight driving wheels and a four-wheel trailing truck to support the large firebox.

Eight Big Boys survive today, most on static display at museums across the country. One locomotive was re-acquired by the Union Pacific in 2013 to be restored to operating condition. The locomotive’s restoration was completed in May 2019 and made its first runs since 1959 that same month, allowing it to regain the title as the largest and most powerful operating steam locomotive in the world.
    But they were not the only heavy articulated locomotives, merely the final step in the evolution of that series, preceded by the Challenger series and many others, including narrow gauge articulateds. Some were even built with powered drivers under their tenders.

However, they still could not match the grade climbing ability of the geared locomotives, specifically the Heislers, Climaxes and Shay's.

The maximum grade for a standard locomotive is 4%. on heavy, well ballasted rail The maximum grade for a geared loco is 11% on roughly laid light rails often laid right on the ground. In actual railroad practice, the Big Boys were kept to an average maximum working grade not exceeding 2% or less.

Geared Shy: note the drive shaft includes all of the tender wheels as well. Unmatchable traction and climbing ability under heavy loads.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

LInk doesn't work...
      Can't say why, it works for me.

Here's the URL

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xja5i0

Comment

LInk doesn't work...
        Links works fine for me Jeff start to finish. Those guys are totally overboard but sure a lot of enjoyment to watch.

Thanks for the link

Shay's were/are the best Mtn work trains. A lot are still active back home in WV hauling timber.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Links works fine for me Jeff start to finish. Those guys are totally overboard but sure a lot of enjoyment to watch.

Thanks for the link

Shay's were/are the best Mtn work trains. A lot are still active back home in WV hauling timber.
          Biggest mystery to me is why they weren't used for railroads like the Florence and Cripple Creek, a steep mountainous (4% ruling grade - 6% max grade)route to the goldfields with a top speed of 15-20 mph. Using conventional locos, the railroad had to doublehead everything, and triple head some.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Here's the URL

Much better! Thanks!

Comment

Then you should have answered your other post.
              Sir, what post are you referring to? I don't come on this site every day.

I did create a thread asking for advice on model trains. I just checked it and see that you posted something but it has since been deleted. There was a gap of 2 weeks between the creation of that thread and me logging back on. Did I miss something?

Comment

This is the instantaneous internet. Waiting two weeks between exchanges while you post replica exchanges elsewhere makes people question your actual intent, and at my age I don't wait two weeks for anything.

You obviously were not interested in my reply so I removed it and moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Here's the URL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X