Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you listen to/watch as you build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you listen to/watch as you build?

Well first off, I was reading the latest issue of Fine Scale Modeler magazine, and happened to see this question posed to the readers. For the first time, I answered it-sent in an email a few minutes ago, about what I used to watch, and what I listen to.

So, I thought-I'll ask the question on here! I already asked a somewhat similar question in the jukebox about what kind of Christmas music people prefer, so what do you prefer to listen to while you work on your models? Music? TV shows? Movies? Nothing at all?
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

This is what I wrote:

Dear Editor,

Visual and/or auditory stimulation while I build models has always been important to me. Like Mr. Skinner, I tend to watch or listen to something while I model-it usually keeps me going longer and steadier. I could go into the Psychology of it, but then this would be the wrong magazine for that.

When I was younger-and thankfully I did start young-I found great joy in going over to my aunt's house for the day, or even an overnighter, building our WWII models and watching WWII movies like "The Big Red One." Of course, getting to drink about as much Dr. Pepper as I wanted while building is also a fond memory.

After some time, she moved out of town, so I couldn't build with her anymore, but I would still watch episodes of "Combat!" Especially Season 5, which had episodes in glorious color, which allowed me to see what colors of uniforms US soliders might have worn, and such.

The past few years, I've turned more towards music. I'll usually plug in my earbuds and open up the Pandora Internet Radio app on my iPod. I love to hear some AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Credence Clearwater Revival, Bad Company, Deep Purple, and Steve Miller to name a few. Like I said, it really keeps me interested a lot longer and increases the amount of work I'm able to do.

Silence is golden, but I'm still Bad Company until the day I die!

--Andrew
    [snip more personal info]
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

i like listening to classical when i build..helps me relax and concentrate.
      i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Patterson View Post
        i like listening to classical when i build..helps me relax and concentrate.
        I guess it depends on how you "use" your building time. Like, whether it's something you do to relax, with relaxing music, or something you're eager to do because you don't do it very often, so you feel like jammin' when you work. It's the latter for me, I know. But I do end up relaxing a bit.

Also, season could have to do with it.

--Hávamál

Comment

I usually have whatever's on TV in the background... nothing in particular just some background noise.
          http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

My wife, and kids... and all the other white noise in the background.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Generally I have movies playing. Usually it's war films like SPR, Full Metal Jacket, Red Tails, We Were Soldiers, BHD, Bridge Too Far, etc..
              Sometimes I'll change it up with comedies or more serious movies like Green Mile or Shawshank Redemption.
              "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Usually, either the news or talk radio is on while working on models and other hobbies.

Less then ideal location has been assembling models for the HO steel mill project at the layout in the Santa Village. That has attracted interest in the models being built and others completed on the modular layout.

As the building kits are now nearly done, I will start work on some unfinished structures on the harbor section of the modular layout.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

During the day its silence but when the girls get home is pandemonium.
                  An they shall mount up with wings as eagles

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                    Usually it's war films like...BHD, Bridge Too Far, etc..
                    Sometimes I'll change it up with comedies or more serious movies like Green Mile or Shawshank Redemption.
                    As if Black Hawk Down and A Bridge Too Far aren't more serious?

--Hávamál

Comment

It depends, the best stuff is stuff you can enjoy, that doesn't detract from concentrating and also doesn't require you to actually see to enjoy.

Music is naturally a good choice, but I find after a while even my own music can overwhelm my senses. Or it might be the lyrics set the wrong mood. I listen to a lot of my music to escape to some extent. I often listen to what I call 'walking music'. And I don't do a lot of walking while making a model

I am a total diehard Netflix supporter though. Yeah some whine about the lame content of films. Those people are really just wanting to replace video rentals with Netflix, and I frankly can understand, but also don't care. I like Netflix because it is oodles of documentaries, and oodles of great TV from my youth (which sure contrasts with how so much TV of today is utter crap).

Nothing like listening to something like recently The Rockford Files being an example. Nice relaxing TV that isn't demanding on the attention, and you dont really need to be looking at it to enjoy it. Of course some model work is do a few parts rest 5 minutes do a few parts rest 5 minutes. And that means you can usually enjoy just about anything.

I have the best of all worlds techwise. I can watch my laptop, or watch my laptop via my larger monitor or even via the TV if I feel like it. Or I can watch the stuff through my incredibly portable tablet computer (which some say are devices no one needs, till you realise it's all in finding the right way to use the things).

But one thing is for sure, if I am making a model, something WILL be on, I never work in silence.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

FM 100.3, KJAC, Dallas TX or old cassette tapes.

Comment

I have no preference as to what I'm listening to. That isn't important. What I listen for, however is critical. It used to be the children, when they were smaller. Now its the cats!
                          --Tobias Gibson
                          On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

Comment

While building I tend to lean toward contemporary Christian or something very progressive, such as Muse. Now, when I actually play music, I lean towards traditional rock, such as ZZ Top.

AF

Comment

Classic Rock, Beatles, Rolling Stones, ELO, Bob Segar... and if its late night, I listen to Coast to Coast with Bill Norey (The X files for Radio)
                              The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
                              Dwight D. Eisenhower
                              April 16, 1953

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X