The ugly duckling model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ugly duckling model

Ughhh why, why have I spent two weeks on it?

I have had this Esci 1/35th scale 1 ton Demag D7 kit for years. It was one of my 80s era kits that just never got onto the build que.

Well its time finally came and I thought why not. Alas I had pre painted it on the sprue (a dumber idea you won't hear).

So I embarked on the process, all along dealing with unwanted paint on the kit. But the chassis was not causing me any grief, and actually the kit was mostly ok, merely slow tedious and so 80s looking.

The tracks are damaged, and likely going to make me insane if I try to attach them, and why build a tracked kit if you don't put on the tracks eh? So I have come to the point where it is time to step back and say 'ok time for mr airbrush'.

Wondering if it is worth it though. It is UGLY.

Nothing fit with what I expect in fit these days, and well it just looks ugly.

I think if it doesn't improve visually in a big way from an initial visit from some panzer grey, I might lose interest. Thing is 1/35th after all. That scale has lost favour with me.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Originally posted by LRB View Post
    Ughhh why, why have I spent two weeks on it?

I have had this Esci 1/35th scale 1 ton Demag D7 kit for years. It was one of my 80s era kits that just never got onto the build que.

Well its time finally came and I thought why not. Alas I had pre painted it on the sprue (a dumber idea you won't hear).

So I embarked on the process, all along dealing with unwanted paint on the kit. But the chassis was not causing me any grief, and actually the kit was mostly ok, merely slow tedious and so 80s looking.

The tracks are damaged, and likely going to make me insane if I try to attach them, and why build a tracked kit if you don't put on the tracks eh? So I have come to the point where it is time to step back and say 'ok time for mr airbrush'.

Wondering if it is worth it though. It is UGLY.

Nothing fit with what I expect in fit these days, and well it just looks ugly.

I think if it doesn't improve visually in a big way from an initial visit from some panzer grey, I might lose interest. Thing is 1/35th after all. That scale has lost favour with me.

I have had several "ugly ducklings" in my builds. More ofter than not they end up in the circular file...
    wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Comment

Sounds like it's just a matter of getting it done to say that it's done at this point.
      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Only model to get made in recent time that I can't figure out why I bothered (more so) was the Heller HMS Illustrious in 350th scale (think it was 350th).

But it was a truly useless model.

The Demag mostly suffers from being ugly.

If I can master the tracks it will have been worth it. If I can't accomplish those tracks, it doesn't look good for it
        It also has likely the most 'fiddly bits' I have seen in a long time that seem only capable of being annoying for being constantly in danger of being knocked off if handled in any fashion.

It will be a shame if I can't salvage it, as I have so few German vehicles that are support items and not combatants like tanks are.

Comment

Remember the good old days when you could just add lighter fluid and or a fire cracker to those ugly ducklings? I say do a little reminiscing and get some joy out of it.
          --Tobias Gibson
          On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

Comment

But it sounds like a good candidate for a derilect/abandoned vehicle dio...
            The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
            Dwight D. Eisenhower
            April 16, 1953

Comment

Originally posted by AirborneBob View Post
              But it sounds like a good candidate for a derilect/abandoned vehicle dio...
              Yup, waste not...
              BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

I agree, make it a "Land-Mine Victim".
                http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Check this out:
                  http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...spahr_barn.htm
                  The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
                  Dwight D. Eisenhower
                  April 16, 1953

Comment

Not such a bad idea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X