Reduce reduce reduce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce reduce reduce

No I am not getting rid of anything model realm, but, I have been finding myself vexed annoyed irritated and in generally flustered by too much of modern life and the modern way of living/doing things.

Thank you thank you thank you making models has only benefited and exploited the digital realm and not been replaced by it.

I can buy MORE models thanks to the internet, and no not found ways to scam free ones by way of download. My models don't require intrusive DRM schemes.

Online stores are a bonus to the hobby, online sites are a treasure of information for researching a better looking kit. I have never had it so good for finding more models. I suspect my local store sells half of my kits to me as a result of my finding out about them sooner and faster thanks to the net.

I can't say the same of wargaming. For every day I am happy to buy a computer wargame, I am also aware it is a pain too. They are a mixed blessing. I'd rather it had stayed just board games, and exploited the net through options like VASSAL and not been so rife with hassles thanks to illegal 'downloading'. I miss the days when wargaming meant pushing cardboard and ONLY meant pushing card board.

Books, insert a copy of the wargaming lament.
    Movies, same deal.
    Music, well I don't really like modern music much to begin with.

I am a diehard Netflix fan though. I sure have not missed paying 65 bucks a month to a scam called cable TV service (the word service is an assault on reason). I like sitting at the model table, and watching Netflix play old shows and new shows, documentaries and odd films I had never heard of. And just a puny 8 bucks a month. Which means a lot of spare cash for more models eh

I seeeeeeeriously need to take a brutal knife to a lot of the 'clutter' that is modern life in my existence. I've allowed myself to get suckered into indulging a lot of 'stuff' that just doesn't deliever. And it also keeps me too busy and too stressed and too distracted from the good things in life, like a good model.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Board games are ok with me too. I have Candy Land and Hi ho Cherry o. Oh and checkers.
    An they shall mount up with wings as eagles

Comment

lol
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
      John Adams, 1770

Comment

i completely agree!
        i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

Remember the day, and not all that long ago, that you would drive across the country with nothing but your wallet, car keys, and a cooler? Now, and I'm guilty of it too, you will turn around after 20 miles to get your cell phone.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

In my teens, I thought I had everything I needed as long as I had a paperback in my pocket. I even had a standing challenge, I'd give anyone a dollar if I was found without one. Never lost a cent in high school.

Now, I rarely seem to have the paperback, but I seem incapable of carrying around a ton of electronic junk I rarely even use. It's crazy.

I have been rebelling though. Recently I have been actively buying models the second I feel an urge 'for something' as my way of yelling 'back evil technology!!!'.

No doubt my son will inherit a great mountain of assembled but needs painting model kits I hope he learns how to use an airbrush hehe.

Comment

Funny about buying models, i know a guy with over 900 Kits, ge he must buy 25 to 50 a year and thats his thing.
              Buy a kit sell a kit., build a kit., stash one too.

Comment

Originally posted by pinzer View Post
                Funny about buying models, i know a guy with over 900 Kits, ge he must buy 25 to 50 a year and thats his thing.
                sounds like me..i have them everywhere!!

Comment

I still have a few of the old board games (Panzer Battles, Crete, etc.) as well as the original D&D books with the crappy B&W drawings. I also have the blank hex paper gaming board my borther and I made back in the early 1970s. I rarely played D&D but loved painting the 25mm & 54mm white metal figures! Still got about 50-60 of them.
                  --Tobias Gibson
                  On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

Comment

I've sold most of my old SPI games but I still have all of my Avalon Hill "Box" games. Richtofen's War, Battle of the Bulge, Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz and so on.... Great games, still very playable in this Hi-Tech era in which we exist. Back in the 70's, these were state of the art Wargaming at it's best. Many a Friday night, Saturday all day and part of a Sunday was spent trying to best each other with the dice. Lost times, lost and gone to an electric / digital era I fear.
                    http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

I have come close to selling off my ASL collection. Likely worth a sheeetload of models. But the thing is, as a game, it at least delivers.

I have a few other classics, that might seem dated and might even not be as technically superior as some of the digital variety that have come out in the last 10 years or so. But, hey, one thing you can always say, no matter what table you place it on, they still run correctly Something I can't say for too many of my computer wargamers.

Lately I have been finding a few wargames for my tablet computer. Sort of like the wargaming equal of a Nintendo DS for old buggers (with more money than common sense ). Best I have seen is Small General put out by Victor of Advanced Tactics. He also has an Eastern Front variant of Small General. It's basic straight forward honest wargaming. I also have a few designs put out by a chap under the collective title Conflicts and have picked up the D-Day, Eastern Front, and Panzer Missions titles (not gotten into them yet though). I'd rather be playing my Battle Academy and Panzer Korps on my tablet, but thus far they have been targeting Apple and I have an Android device.

I think the future of wargaming, will be likely more and more required to be capable of existing in the increasingly hand held device market. Plenty in wargaming are still defiantly insisting that 'they need a real PC to play real wargames'. Whatever, War in the East (Europa series board game) was also a 'great wargame' according to wargamers in the 80s, and it was also not overly playable either. Sort of like War in the East for PC, all the appeal of root canal while doing your taxes eh.

Why the hell did I buy that thing? I could have bought a model

Role gaming, hmm I won't get started, suffice it to say I have nothing but harsh and entirely unfriendly things to say about anything touch by Wizards of the Coast. That and my own inability to say no to myself about self evident stupid purchases.
                      That and role gamers that lie to themselves about role gaming that is in the end really roll gaming pretending to be role gaming and in fact table top miniatures wargaming with idiotically complicated miniatures (which sums up most versions of D&D nicely). That and Vancian magic, the worst thing to happen to role gaming since it began.

I'd rather have a stack of unbuilt models waiting on me, than a hard drive full of unplayed wargames and a shelf full of inactive role games given a choice. If I die tomorrow, the models would still be useful to an interested model maker, whereas the wargames, well they likely would have no value to someone else and the role games, who knows.

Comment

many years ago me and my buddies spent many weekends battling with "wooden ships and iron men" and "jutland" both were very great games...i miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Patterson View Post
                          many years ago me and my buddies spent many weekends battling with "wooden ships and iron men" and "jutland" both were very great games...i miss that.
                          I played many a game of Jutland as well Terry .... You're right - Great Game!
                          http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

I have been playing that greatest of tabletop war games... chess a lot lately. it is really fascinating in considering how different openings lead to different conclusions. I have been reading about it as well. Incredibly simple and elegant (I am trying to teach all my kids) and yet on the other had it is very tactical and strategic. I really challenges your mind.
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                            John Adams, 1770

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                              Remember the day, and not all that long ago, that you would drive across the country with nothing but your wallet, car keys, and a cooler? Now, and I'm guilty of it too, you will turn around after 20 miles to get your cell phone.
                              I don't own a cell phone.

As long as we're talking boardgames. I've been on a binge the past two years. Here's my collection. I plan on spending the rest of my life on books, models, judo, and games.
                              http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/...ery=large&ff=1

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X